Dr. Heng Choon Oliver CHAN (陳慶泉)
Ph.D. in Criminology (University of South Florida, FL, USA)
M.A. in Forensic Psychology (Marymount University, VA, USA)
B.A. in Psychology (Bemidji State University, MN, USA)
- Associate Professor, Department of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Heng Choon (Oliver) CHAN, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor of Criminology at City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR. He received his Ph.D. in Criminology from the University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA, and was a recipient of the "Outstanding Criminology Ambassador Award" in 2012 and “Distinguished Alumni Award” in 2021. Oliver earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and a Master’s Degree in Forensic Psychology. In 2014, Oliver was awarded the honorary title "Early Career Award" by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) of University Grant Committee (UGC) for his outstanding research performance. In 2017, Oliver was awarded "The President's Award" and "CLASS New Researcher Award" by City University of Hong Kong to recognize his exemplary contributions to research and professional education that have helped the University and College to achieve local and global distinction. More importantly, he was granted an early substantiation of appointment (tenured) and promotion to Associate Professor in 2017. Recently, he was awarded "The Outstanding Supervisor Award" to recognize his excellent research supervision in 2018 and "CLASS Teaching Innovation Award - Team Award" for his innovative teaching at the team category in 2019. When he was in the U.S., Oliver interned and later employed by the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department’s (MPDC) Homicide Case Review Units as one of its first two Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) Violent Criminals Apprehension Program (ViCAP) analysts.
Oliver's research focuses on sexual homicide, offender profiling, sex offending, homicide, stalking behavior, and Asian criminology. He published widely on these topics, especially in the area of sexual homicide. As of August 2021, Oliver has published over 90 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters; and presented at numerous international, regional, and local academic conferences. He has since published five academic books, with two as the sole-authored monographs on sexual homicide (Palgrave Macmillan, April 2015; and Springer Nature, June 2019), and another three as a co-editor of edited volumes on the psycho-criminological perspective of Asian criminal justice (i.e., police, correctional, and legal psychology; Routledge, March 2017) the international perspective of stalking behavior (John Wiley & Sons, April 2020), and the African mental health and criminal justice system (Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming in 2021). His book on the stalking behavior was selected and awarded the CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title 2020. Oliver is now working on his next sole-authored monographs on sexual offending in Asia (to be published under his Wiley’s book series on “Psycho-Criminology of Crime, Mental Health, and the Law”). He is a Senior Editor of Cogent Social Sciences (Criminology and Criminal Justice Section), Associate Editor of Frontiers in Psychology (forensic and legal psychology specialty section), Associate Editor of Heliyon Psychology (expertise on forensic psychology and criminology), Associate Editor of International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, Editorial Advisory Board Member of Journal of Criminal Justice, Editorial Board Member of Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment, and editorial board member of several other peer-reviewed journals; and an ad-hoc reviewer for over 80 peer-reviewed journals and academic publishers. Oliver has also been regularly interviewed by electronic media and quoted in print media on criminological issues; and consulted on the offending behavior of violent offenders by television program scriptwriters and movie producers.
陳博士的研究主要集中在性侵殺人、罪犯側寫、性犯罪、殺人、纏擾行為方面，以及亞洲犯罪學。陳博士就上述議題廣泛發表學術論文，特別是在性侵殺人的議題。直到2021年8月，陳博士發表了超過90篇的期刊文章和書籍章節，並在許多國際、地區性及本地學術會議上發表演說。此外，他出版了四本學術書藉，其中兩本是關於性侵殺人的專題論文 (Palgrave Macmillan，2015年4月；Springer Nature, 2019年6月)，而另兩本是與其他作者以犯罪心理學角度，共同編輯亞洲刑事司法—包括警察、懲教和法律心理學 (Routledge ，2017年3月)，以及有關全球纏擾行為的專題學術書藉 (John Wiley & Sons，2020年4月)。陳博士現時正與Palgrave Macmillan出版社合作，撰寫下一本有關非洲人的精神健康及刑事司法系統的專題學術書藉。他是 Cogent Social Sciences 學術期刊犯罪學與刑事司法部分的高級編輯、 Frontiers in Psychology 學術期刊法庭心理學專科的副編輯、 Heliyon Psychology 學術期刊法庭心理學及犯罪學專科的副編輯、「國際罪犯治療與比較犯罪學雜誌」 (International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology) 的副編輯、刑事司法期刊 (Journal of Criminal Justice) 編輯顧問委員會成員和許多其它同行評審期刊的編委。他亦是多於80份同行評議的期刊和學術出版社的評審。陳博士經常接受電子媒體的定期訪問，也被紙媒在犯罪學議題上引用其意見，同時亦曾為電視節目編劇和電影製片人就暴力罪犯的行為提供意見。
- Sexual Homicide (sexually-motivated murder)
- Offender Profiling
- Sexual Offending
- Homicide Studies
- Stalking Behavior
- Asian Criminology
SS5304 Psychology and Crime
SS4718 Forensic Criminology
SS4709 Psychology of Law Enforcement
SS4304 Sexual Offending
SS4296 Research Project in Criminology
SS3302 Professional Internship in Applied Criminology and Sociology
SS2030 Introduction to Criminology
GE2221 Violence and Crime
Award and Achievement
- 2021 "Distinguished Alumni Award" Department of Criminology, University of South Florida, FL, USA.
- 2020 "CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title 2020 Award" Association of College & Research Libraries, American Library Association, USA, for “Psycho-criminological approaches to stalking behavior: An international perspective (Wiley, 2020)”
- 2019 "CLASS Teaching Innovation Award - Team Award" College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- 2018 “Outstanding Supervisor Award” The Provost Office, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- 2017 “Visiting Scholar” Division of Psychology, School of Social Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- 2017 “Early Substantiation of Appointment (Tenured) and Promotion to Associate Professor” City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- 2017 “The President's Award” Office of the President, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
2014 “Early Career Award” Research Grants Council (RGC) of University Grants Committee (UGC), Hong Kong.
2012 “Outstanding Criminology Ambassador Award” Department of Criminology, University of South Florida, FL, USA.
2007 “Int. Assoc. of Asian Crime Investigators & Chinese-American Education Foundation Scholarship” International Association of Asian Crime Investigators and Chinese-American Educational Foundation.
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Book Series Editor, Psycho-Criminology of Crime, Mental Health, and the Law, John Wiley & Sons, 2021 - Present.
- Senior Editor, Cogent Social Sciences, Criminology and Criminal Justice Section, Cogent OA, Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group, 2020 - Present.
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Psychology, Forensic and Legal Psychology Specialty Section, Frontiers, 2020 - Present.
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, SAGE Pulishing & Medical College of Wisconsin, 2012 - Present.
- Associate Editor, Heliyon Psychology, Cell Press/Elsevier, 2020 - Present.
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, 2020 - Present.
- Editorial Board Member, Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment, SAGE Publishing, 2020 - Present.
- Editor, Cogent Social Sciences, Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group, 2017 - 2020.
- Editorial Board Member, Heliyon, Elsevier, 2019 - Present.
- Research Topic Editor, Frontiers in Psychology, Forensic and Legal Psychology Specialty Section (Research Topic: "Crime, Mental Health, and the Law: A Psycho-Criminological Perspective"), Frontiers, 2020 - 2021.
- Special Issue Guest Editor, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (Special Issue: "Psycho-criminology, Crime, and the Law"), MDPI, 2019 - 2020.
- Editorial Review Board Member, Advancing Corrections Journal, International Corrections and Prisons Association (ICPA), 2016 - Present.
- Ad-Hoc Reviewer for more than 80 refereed journals and academic publishers.
- Asian Criminological Society (ACS), Macau, China; International Corrections and Prisons Association (ICPA), Canada; Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS), USA; American Psychological Association (APA), USA; American Society of Criminology (ASC), USA; Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), USA; Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP), USA; Delta Epsilon Sigma (National Scholastic Honor Society), USA; Pi Gamma Mu (International Honor Society in Social Sciences), USA; Psi Chi (National Honor Society in Psychology), USA.
Professional Association Positions
- Elected Member of the Presidium, The General Assembly, Asian Criminological Society (ACS), 2019 - 2021; 2016 - 2018.
- Appointed Member, Research and Development (R&D) Committee, International Corrections and Prisons Association (ICPA), 2013 – Present.
Keynote and Invited Presentations
- The Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups. Keynote Presentation for a public community event on "Juvenile sexual offending and risk behavior: What are the contributing factors?" for school teachers and principals, social workers, counselors, and youth workers. Hong Kong. November 1, 2019.
- Hong Kong Police Psychological Services Group. November 7, 2018; Hong Kong. Invited Round-Table Forum Presentation on "Understanding criminal behaviours from a psychological perspective" for all Hong Kong Police Force members and clinical psychologists from Hong Kong Correctional Services Department and the forensic team of the Castle Peak Hospital at the "Symposium on Applying Psychology to Criminal Investigation."
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. October 13, 2017; Singapore. Invited Presentation on "Violent Sexual Offending: A Psycho-criminological Perspective" for psychology faculty and social sciences undergraduate students.
- University of Liverpool, Singapore Campus. October 11, 2017; Singapore. Invited Presentation on "Violent Sexual Offending: A Psycho-criminological Perspective" for criminology faculty and undergraduate students.
- HELP University, Malaysia. June 14, 2017; Malaysia. Invited Presentation on "Stalking Perpetration and Victimization: Preliminary Findings from Hong Kong and Malaysian Samples" for psychology undergraduate students and staff.
- Hong Kong Playground Association. March 4, 2017; Hong Kong. Keynote Presentation for a public community event, "Youth Offending Behavior: Online versus Offline Behavior."
- Hong Kong Commission on Youth and Facebook Hong Kong. February 21, 2017; Hong Kong. Invited Roundtable Discussion on "Facebook's Online Safety."
- Singapore Home Team School of Criminal Investigation (HTSCI). February 13, 2017; Singapore. Invited Presentation on "Managing Investigative Risk: Understanding of Sexual Homicide and Stalking Crime, and Profile of Perpetrators" for Investigation Expert Career Track Milestone Course from the Singapore Police Force.
- Malaysian Psychology Student Assembly (MAPSA) 2016. November 5-6, 2016; Malaysia. Keynote Presentation for the conference with keynote presentation topic on "Understanding Sexual Homicide Offenders: A Psycho-Criminological Perspective.
- HELP University, Malaysia. November 6, 2016; Malaysia. Invited Presentation on "Stalking Perpetration and Victimization in Hong Kong: Prevalence and Experiences among University Students" for psychology undergraduate students and staff.
- Singapore Home Team School of Criminal Investigation (HTSCI). July 15, 2016; Singapore. Invited Presentation on "Sexual Homicide and Stalking Crimes: Lessons Learnt for Criminal Investigation from Research Studies" for investigation management staff of the Singapore Police Force and the Home Team.
Caritas Hong Kong and The Chinese University of Hong Kong. May 28, 2016; Hong Kong. Keynote Presentation for the conference on "Youth and Sexual Offending," with keynote presentation topic on "Juvenile Sexual Offending: What We Know and What Can We Do?"
- Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia. April 1, 2016; Malaysia. Invited Presentation on "Violent Sexual Offending: A Psycho-Criminological Perspective" for faculty members and postgraduate students of the School of Social Sciences.
- Singapore Institute of Mental Health (IMH). December 11, 2015; Singapore. Invited Presentation on "Sexual Offending: A Psycho-Criminological Perspective" for multidisciplinary staff from various departments in IMH.
- CityU Outreach Seminar. October 29, 2015; Hong Kong. Invited Presentation for the theme on "Rehabilitation" in sharing the partnership experience with the Hong Kong Correctional Services Department, with audience from the CityU community and NGOs.
- TEDxHKUST 2015. October 3, 2015; Hong Kong. Invited TED Presentation for the theme on "United by Diversity," with topic on "Trust Your Intuition: Your Survival Signal." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaetMWwgWyE
- Hong Kong Television Broadcasts Limited (TVB). January 15, 2015; Hong Kong. Invited Seminar for drama scriptwriters with topic on "The Psychology of Serial Killing."
- NGO Forum 2014. November 26, 2014; Hong Kong. Keynote Presentation for the Hong Kong Correctional Services Department and City University of Hong Kong co-organized forum, with keynote presentation topic on "Importance of Self-Control and Social Bonds in Crime Desistance and Offender Rehabilitation."
- KELLY Support Group. May 19, 2013; Hong Kong. Invited Presentation for a community forum on "Why are Our Youth Falling through the Cracks?" with topic on "The Importance of Healthy Levels of Self-Control and Social Bonds: Protective Factors to Juvenile Delinquency."