- Postdoc in Biomedical Engineering—Columbia University, US, 2009
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering -- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, US, 2008
- M.S. in Microelectronics -- Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and Information Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, 2003
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering -- Jilin University, China, 2000
- Fluid dynamics
- Nature-inspired engineering
- Soft matter
Awards & Honours
- Among the 15 favorite Nature Physics papers selected by editors over the past 15 years, 2020.
- 2020 Premium Award for Best Paper in Biosurface and Biotribology, Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
- Hong Kong Best Science News Reporting （ 2nd Runner-up）, 2020香港最佳科學新聞報道（季军）
- Top 10 Hong Kong Innovation and Technology News (Droplet-based energy generator), 2020. 2020年度香港十大創科新聞.
- 2020 Xplorer Prize (3 winners from Hong Kong and Macau), 2020
- President Lectureship, City University of Hong Kong, 2020
- Fellow of International Society of Bionic Engineering, 2019 (only 10 fellows so far).
- Hiwin Doctoral Dissertation Silver Medal Award (to Dr. Wang and his Ph.D. graduate), Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society, 2019.
- Hall of Fame, Advanced Engineering Materials, 2019.
- Top 10 Research Achievement Award in China Robot Society (No.1), 2018 Annual Conference of China Robot Industry, 2018.
- Top 50 Nature Communications physics articles published in 2018.
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 2018.
- President’s Lectureship, City University of Hong Kong, 2018.
- The 35th World Cultural Council Special Recognition Award, 2018.
- Founding Member of Young Academy of Sciences of Hong Kong, 2018.
- Outstanding Research Award (Senior, the first winner in the rank of associate/assistant professor), City University of Hong Kong, 2017.
- Changjiang Chair Professorship, Ministry of Education, China, 2017.
- President’s Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2016.
- Outstanding Youth Award, International Society of Bionic Engineering (two awardees worldwide every three years), 2016.
- OSA Young Scientist Award, Optical Society of America, 2016.
- Hiwin Doctoral Dissertation Award (to Dr. Wang and his Ph.D. graduate), Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society, 2016.
- President’s Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2015.
- Changbai Mountain Chair Professor, Jilin University, 2015.
- “Future Leaders” selected by the New York Academy of Sciences and Science and Technology in Society Forum, 2013.
- Outstanding Overseas Students Award, Ministry of Education of China, 2007.
For Training and Teaching
- MSME Dissertation Award, 2021 (Jiaying Mo).
- Materials Research Society (MRS) Graduate Student Silver Award (Wanghuai Xu, the sole winner outside U.S.), 2021 Spring Meeting.
- Gold Award and Merit Award-The Best Engineering Solution Award in Chun Wo Innovation Student Awards 2020 (CWISA) for the innovation of Fog-based Self-powered System (FSS).
- Outstanding Supervisor Award City University of Hong Kong, 2020.
- HKIS-Towngas Young Scientist Award, Hong Kong Institution of Sciences (HKIS, Jing Li), 2020.
- Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies Outstanding Doctoral Research Award (Dr. Wanghuai Xu), City University of Hong Kong, 2020 (The only one winner in the category of Engineering & Technology throughout the university).
- Best Doctoral Thesis Award (Dr. Wanghuai Xu), City University of Hong Kong, 2020
- Best Doctoral Thesis Award (Dr. Jiaqian Li), City University of Hong Kong, 2019
- Best Poster Award ( Minjie Liu), 1st International Conference on Nature-inspired Surface Engineering, June 11-14, 2019. Stevens, NJ, US.
- Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies Outstanding Doctoral Research Award (Jing Li), City University of Hong Kong, 2018 (The only one winner throughout the university).
- Best Doctoral Thesis Award (Dr. Jing Li), City University of Hong Kong, 2018
- Outstanding Supervisor Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2018.
- First Prize, 1st Bionic Innovation Competition, International Society of Bionic Engineering (ISBE), 2018 (Ph.D. student, Jiaqian Li).
- Outstanding Supervisor Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2017.
- 1000 Young Talent Plan Award (Ph.D. graduates, Xuemei Chen and Yahua Liu), 2017.
- Materials Research Society (MRS) Graduate Student Gold Award (Jing Li, the first Gold Award winner from Hong Kong since the establishment of this prestigious award in 2002), 2016.
- Hong Kong Young Scientist Award, Hong Kong Institution of Sciences (HKIS, Yahua Liu), 2015 (only one winner in the Engineering Catefory).
- MRS Graduate Student Silver Award (Yahua Liu, the first awardee from Hong Kong since the establishment of this prestigious award in 2002), 2015.
- Best Paper Award, International Symposium on Optofluidics, August 2013.
- Best Paper Award, International Symposium on Optofluidics, September 2012.
- 3rd Prize, Best Paper on Materials Record (Waitak Lau), Hong Kong Institution on Engineers, 2012.
“CityU PhD student wins prestigious materials science award”, CityU NewsCentre, December 2016.
“Bio-inspired materials: Drop and fold”, Nature Physics News & Views, August 2016.
“Self-folding mimosa mimic”, Nature, June 2016.
“Origami tubes curl up with water”, Chemistry World, June 2016
“Mimosa nanostructure spontaneously self-folds”, Nanotechweb, June 2016
“Mimosa-inspired material folds up like origami when wet”. Asian Scientist Magazine, June 2016
“One drop of water makes this wonder material roll itself up”, Popular Mechanics, June 2016.
“Bio-inspired engineering research at CityU receives local and international recognition”, City University of Hong Kong News Center and Wenweipo, January 2016
“A droplet's pancake bounce”, featured in numerous media including American Institute of Physics, Asian Scientist, Materials World, Science Daily, August 2015.
“Science Image of the Week” by Tech Times, August 2015.
“Superhydrophobic materials”, In “Foresight and Insight: Innovative Research in East Asia”. Nature, April 2015.
“Condensation inspired by beetle’s backs”. In Nano, ACS Nano, 2015.
“New discovery for water repellent materials”. CityU Today, March 2015.
“Shaping drops” by Doris Vollmer and Hans-Jurgen Butt, Nature Physics, 10, 475-476, 2014.
“CityU develops the world's most superhydrophobic material”, CityU News, July 21, 2014.
“A journey of discovery”, CityU Today, March 2012.
- Zuankai Wang. Phase change based heat transfer. The 12th International Green Energy Conference. Xian, China. 31 July- 2 August, 2017 (Keynote Speech).
Zuankai Wang. Bio-inspired directional surfaces. 1st International Conference on Biomedical Micro/nanotechnology. University of Science and Technology of China, China, July 3-4, 2017 (Keynote Speech)
Zuankai Wang. “Directional superwetting surfaces: Learning from nature and beyond nature”. International Symposium on Superwetting. January 15~18, 2017, Guangzhou, China (Plenary Speech).
Zuankai Wang. Bio-inspired interfacial materials: From fundamental understanding to practical applications. International Conference on Bionic Engineering, Ningbo, China, June 21-24, 2016 (Keynote speech)
Zuankai Wang. “Bio-inspired Interfacial Materials: Repel Everything”. International Workshop on Engineering and Application of Nanocarbon Materials, Jinan, China, 30 January-2 February, 2015 (Keynote speech).
Zuankai Wang, “Pancake bouncing on superhydrophobic surfaces”, 2014 International Symposium on Optofluidics, Guangzhou, China, 28 August-30 August, 2014 (Keynote speech)
Zuankai Wang, “Biomimetic surfaces: Structure and functionality” 2014 International Symposium on Microchemistry and Microsystem, Singapore, 29 July-1 August, 2014 (Keynote speech).
Chonglei Hao, K.Y. Li, Zuankai Wang. “Electrowetting on liquid-infused film (EWOLF): a new electrowetting paradigm with enhanced functionalities”. 3rd International Symposium on Optofluidics, Hong Kong, 15-17 August, 2013 (Best Paper Award).
Xiaowen Huang, Wenli Hui, Zuankai Wang. “Air bubble-assisted droplet formation, Trapping, and droplet-to-droplet concentration gradient”. Optofluidics, Suzhou, China, 13-15 September, 2012 (First Place in Best Paper Award).
Editor or Editorial Membership
Editor, Journal of Bionic Engineering (Elsevier), since January 2017
Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group, since 08/2014~
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Nanotechnology and Nano Medicine Research, since 10/2015
Editorial Board Member, Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, since December 2015
Advisory Board Member, Advanced Engineering Materials (Wiley), since 09/2014~