- Postdoc in Biomedical Engineering—Columbia University, US, 2009
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering -- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, US, 2008
- M.S. in Microelectronics -- Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and Information Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, 2003
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering -- Jilin University, China, 2000
- Fluid dynamics
- Nature-inspired engineering
- Soft matter
Awards & Honours
- CityU Outstanding Research Award, 2017
- Changjiang Chair Professor, Ministry of Education, China, 2017
- MRS Graduate Student Gold Award (Ph.D. student, Jing Li), 2016
- OSA Young Scientist Award, 2016
- Outstanding Youth Award, International Society of Bionic Engineering, 2016
- Hiwin Doctoral Dissertation Award (To Dr. Wang and his Ph.D. graduate), 2016
- President’s Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2016
- Hong Kong Young Scientist Award (Ph.D. graduate, Dr. Yahua Liu), 2015
- MRS Graduate Student Silver Award (Ph.D. student, Yahua Liu), 2015
- Selected among Young Scientists to participate in the Science and Technology in Society Forum held in Japan, 2013
- Best Paper Award, International Symposium on Optofluidics, 2013
- Best Paper Award, International Symposium on Optofluidics, 2012
- MRS Graduate Student Silver Award, 2007
- Chinese Government Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad Award, 2007
“CityU PhD student wins prestigious materials science award”, CityU NewsCentre, December 2016.
“Bio-inspired materials: Drop and fold”, Nature Physics News & Views, August 2016.
“Self-folding mimosa mimic”, Nature, June 2016.
“Origami tubes curl up with water”, Chemistry World, June 2016
“Mimosa nanostructure spontaneously self-folds”, Nanotechweb, June 2016
“Mimosa-inspired material folds up like origami when wet”. Asian Scientist Magazine, June 2016
“One drop of water makes this wonder material roll itself up”, Popular Mechanics, June 2016.
“Bio-inspired engineering research at CityU receives local and international recognition”, City University of Hong Kong News Center and Wenweipo, January 2016
“A droplet's pancake bounce”, featured in numerous media including American Institute of Physics, Asian Scientist, Materials World, Science Daily, August 2015.
“Science Image of the Week” by Tech Times, August 2015.
“Superhydrophobic materials”, In “Foresight and Insight: Innovative Research in East Asia”. Nature, April 2015.
“Condensation inspired by beetle’s backs”. In Nano, ACS Nano, 2015.
“New discovery for water repellent materials”. CityU Today, March 2015.
“Shaping drops” by Doris Vollmer and Hans-Jurgen Butt, Nature Physics, 10, 475-476, 2014.
“CityU develops the world's most superhydrophobic material”, CityU News, July 21, 2014.
“A journey of discovery”, CityU Today, March 2012.
- Zuankai Wang. Phase change based heat transfer. The 12th International Green Energy Conference. Xian, China. 31 July- 2 August, 2017 (Keynote Speech).
Zuankai Wang. Bio-inspired directional surfaces. 1st International Conference on Biomedical Micro/nanotechnology. University of Science and Technology of China, China, July 3-4, 2017 (Keynote Speech)
Zuankai Wang. “Directional superwetting surfaces: Learning from nature and beyond nature”. International Symposium on Superwetting. January 15~18, 2017, Guangzhou, China (Plenary Speech).
Zuankai Wang. Bio-inspired interfacial materials: From fundamental understanding to practical applications. International Conference on Bionic Engineering, Ningbo, China, June 21-24, 2016 (Keynote speech)
Zuankai Wang. “Bio-inspired Interfacial Materials: Repel Everything”. International Workshop on Engineering and Application of Nanocarbon Materials, Jinan, China, 30 January-2 February, 2015 (Keynote speech).
Zuankai Wang, “Pancake bouncing on superhydrophobic surfaces”, 2014 International Symposium on Optofluidics, Guangzhou, China, 28 August-30 August, 2014 (Keynote speech)
Zuankai Wang, “Biomimetic surfaces: Structure and functionality” 2014 International Symposium on Microchemistry and Microsystem, Singapore, 29 July-1 August, 2014 (Keynote speech).
Chonglei Hao, K.Y. Li, Zuankai Wang. “Electrowetting on liquid-infused film (EWOLF): a new electrowetting paradigm with enhanced functionalities”. 3rd International Symposium on Optofluidics, Hong Kong, 15-17 August, 2013 (Best Paper Award).
Xiaowen Huang, Wenli Hui, Zuankai Wang. “Air bubble-assisted droplet formation, Trapping, and droplet-to-droplet concentration gradient”. Optofluidics, Suzhou, China, 13-15 September, 2012 (First Place in Best Paper Award).
Editor or Editorial Membership
Editor, Journal of Bionic Engineering (Elsevier), since January 2017
Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group, since 08/2014~
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Nanotechnology and Nano Medicine Research, since 10/2015
Editorial Board Member, Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, since December 2015
Advisory Board Member, Advanced Engineering Materials (Wiley), since 09/2014~
Below displays the top Fingerprint concepts, per subject area for this Expert. Fingerprint concepts that appear on this page are based on all the research output produced by this Expert.