Prof. YANG Zhilin (楊志林)
PhD - Marketing (New Mexico State University)
MA - International Business (Shanghai University of Finance and Economics)
BA - Accounting (China University of Mining and Technology)
- Professor, Department of Marketing
My main research interest areas are governance strategies in marketing channels, institutional theory, business network analysis, and online service marketing.
I have received University Research Excellence Award and College Research Excellence Award in 2013. My research papers have received such awards as Emerald Citations of Excellence for 2015, IBM Best Paper Award Finalist from Journal of Service Research, 2011; Best Paper Award (Supply Chain Track) from the Decision Science Institution and McGraw-Hill Irwin Distinguished Paper Award; and three Highly Commended Award from Emerald Literati Club (2015, 2013 & 2005). My papers have been widely cited (# of citations was 1,339 from ISI, 2,446 from Scopus, and 7,027 from Google Scholar as of 28/12/2016).
Since joined CityU in 2001, I have published over 75 articles in various decent academic journals, including Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Operations Management, International Business Review, International Marketing Review, Journal of Advertising Research, Journal of Business Research, and Psychology and Marketing. In addition, I have had over 40 conference presentations and proceedings.
I have been serving as an Editor-in-Chief of Asian Journal of Business Research, an Associate Editor of European Journal of Marketing, and a member of editorial board for Journal of Business Research, Industrial Marketing Management, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, and EsicMarket (Spain), and as a special issue editor for Journal of Business Ethics (2009), Industrial Marketing Management (2010, 2012), and Journal of Business Research (2011). I have served ad hoc reviewers for over 20 journals and conferences.
I have received 26 research grants totalled about US$ 880, 000 and served as a principal investigator for 19 grants totalled US$500,000, including NSFC (China), CERG/GRFs (Hong Kong), and Hong Kong/Germany joint research scheme. Over years, I have been invited by more than 20 universities to deliver quality seminars.
In addition, I have built extensive connections with business communities especially those in China by providing business training and consulting services for many Chinese firms and multi-national enterprises.
Network in Marketing
Governance Strategies in Marketing Channels
Customer Value and Customer Loyalty
Service Quality and Customer Satisfaction in Electronic Commerce
Participating in or organising a conference / an event
- Yang, Zhilin (2012), "How to Publish Top Tier Journals", 2012 MAG Scholar Conference, Gyor, Hungary, May 28 - June 01.
- Yang, Zhilin (2012), "Successful Branding and Channel Management in China", The 2nd National China Business Symposium, 1st March, New Zealand China Trade Association and the New Zealand Contemporary China Research Centre, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Yang, Zhilin (2011), "Guanxi as an Inter-firm Governance Strategy: Its Key Features and Future Research Directions,", 2011 Chinese Business Culture Research Conference, Jinan, China, October 21-24.
- Jia, Fang and Zhilin Yang (2011), "Mismatch between Trust and Interdependence:The Moderating Role of Power Imbalance", Cambridge Business & Economics Conference, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 27-28 June.
- Xu, Lan, Fuan Li, Nan Zhou, Zhilin Yang, and Paul Miniard (2011), "Integrity and Benevolence: An Examination of their Distinct Roles in Building Consumer Trust", Association for Consumer Research 2011 Asia-Pacific Conference, Beijing, China, June 16-18.
- Xuehua Wang and Zhilin Yang (2010), "The Effects of Corporate-Brand Credibility, Perceived Corporate-Brand Origin, and Self-Image Congruence in Emerging Economies: Evidence from China’s Auto Industry", AMA Summer Marketing Educator`s Conference, August 12-16, 2010, Boston, USA.
- Yang, Zhilin (October 24-26), "Small Retailers’ Price Sensitivity: How Do Physical Distribution Service Quality Dimensions Matter?", The 12th West Lake International Conference on SMB, Hangzhou, China.
- Wang, Xuehua, Zhilin Yang, Nan Zhou, and Robert Mai (August 21-22), "A Cross-Cultural Comparison for Domestic Consumption: A Conceptual Study", Proceedings of 2010 Annual Conference of Journal of Marketing Science, Beijing, China.
- Wu, Jianan, Jie Sun, Yinglu Wu, and Zhilin Yang (2009), "eWOM and Risk Return in Online Markets: A Joint Study on Seller Review and Product Review", 2009 Informs Marketing Science Conference, June 4-6, 2009, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
- Hauser, John, Min Ding, Songting, Dong, Steven Gaskin, Daria Silinskaia, Chenting Su, and Zhilin Yang (2009), "Empirical Test of Incentive-compatible Direct Elicitation of Heuristic Decision Rules", 2009 Informs Marketing Science Conference, June 4-6, 2009, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
- Xuehua Wang, Zhilin Yang, Chenting Su, and Nan Zhou (2009), "Foreign versus Local Non-Celebrity Endorser Effect in Emerging Economies: The Role of Ideal Identity Salience", AMA Summer Marketing Educator`s Conference, Chicago, USA., August 7-10, 2009.
- Xuehua Wang, Zhilin Yang, and Chenting Su (2009), "The Impact of Brand Credibility and Brand Personality on Purchase Intention: An Empirical Study in China", 2009 CIMaR-UIBE Business School Joint Conference, October 15-18, 2009, Beijing, China.
- Yang, Zhilin (2009), "Network Analysis in Marketing Research: Dyadic Interaction & Network Embeddedness", Invited Talk for Doctoral Consortium at 2009 JMS Annual Conference, Oct.23-25, Naikai University, Tianjin, China.
- Guo, Rui, Liang Yan, Nan Zhou, Zhilin Yang and Chenting SU (2009), "Transformation of Foreign Brands: An Institutional Perspective", Proceedings of 2009 JMS Annual Conference, October 23-25, Naikai University, Tianjin, China, pp 43-69.
- Su, Chenting, Zhilin Yang, and Fue Zeng (2008), "Formation Process of CUB in Chinese Societies: Mechanism Exploration and Theory Construct", 2008 Global Marketing Conference, March 20-23, 2008 Shanghai Jiaotong University,, Shanghai, China.
- Zeng, Fue, Chengting Su, and Zhilin Yang (2008), "The Role of Perceived Unfairness in the Decision Making of Consumers’ Unethical Behaviors", 2008 Informs Marketing Science Conference, June 12-14, 2008 Vancouver, British Columbia Canada.
- Schumann, J. H., v. Wangenheim, F., Stringfellow, A., Praxmarer, S., Blazevic, V., Jimenez, F., Yang, Z., Shainesh, G., and Komor, M. (2008), "Cross-Cultural Differences in the Effects of Word-of-Mouth in Relational Service Exchange: Empirical Evidence for the Moderating Role of Uncertainty Avoidance from an Eight Country Study", ,” The 2008 Frontiers in Services Conference, Washington D.C., USA, October 2-5, 2008.
- Schumann, J. H., Florian von Wangenheim, and Zhilin Yang (2008), "Cross-Cultural Differences in the Development of Trust in Relational Service Exchange - An Empirical Analysis in the Banking Context in China and Germany", AMA Winter Educator's Conference, Austin, USA, February 17-19, 2008.
- Cai, Alan, Zhilin Yang and Minjoon Jun (2007), "Relational Governance in Buyer-Supplier Relationship: Structures, Processes, and Performance Implications", The 38th Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, 17-22, November, 2007 [Distinguished Paper Award - Supply Chain Management Track].
- Cai, Alan and Zhilin Yang (2007), "Performance Implication of Cooperative Norms", The 2007 Conference of the Southwest Decision Sciences Institute, March 13-17, San Diego, CA, USA. [The 2007 McGraw-Hill Irwin Distinguished Paper Award).
- Schumann, J. H., v. Wangenheim, F., Yang, Z., Praxmarer, S., Jimenez, F., Komor, M., and Shainesh, G. (2007), "Cross-Cultural Differences in the Development of Trust in Relational Service Exchange - An Empirical Analysis of Trust Building in High versus Low Uncertainty Avoidance Cultures", The 4th Workshop on Trust within and between Organizations, Amsterdam, Netherlands, October 24-26, 2007.
- Xu, Lan, Zhilin Yang, Nan Zhou, and Fuan Li (2007), "The Contingent Effects of Benevolence and Integrity on Brand Trust: An Examination of Moderators", The 4th JMS Annual Conference, October 21-22, 2007 Shanghai, [The paper was a finalist of the best paper award.].
- Fam, Kim-Shyan, David Waller and Zhilin Yang (2006), "Reducing Offensiveness of Advertising for Controversial Products: An Empirical Study of Three Generations in China’", The 5th ICORIA 2006, Bath, United Kingdom.
- Jia Liu, Zuohao Hu, Zhilin Yang and Ping Zhao (2006), "The Impacts of Specific Investments and Similarity of Business Value on Perceived Fairness in the Supplier-Distributor Relationship: The Moderating Role of Dependence", The 48th Annual Meeting of the Academy of International Business, Academic of International Business, Beijing, China, June 23-26, 2006.
- Liu, Jia, Zuohao Hu, Ping Zhao, and Zhilin Yang (2006), "The Impacts of Channel Power on Opportunism in the Supplier-Distributor Relationship: The Moderating Role of Fairness", The 2006 JMS Annual Conference Proceeding, Wuhan, China, October 20-22, 2006.
- Zhuang, Guijun, Nan Zhou, Chenting Su, and Zhilin Yang (2006), "The Impact of Social Capital and Guanxi Orientation on Inter-firm Communication in Marketing Channels", The 2006 JMS Annual Conference Proceeding, Wuhan, China, October 20-22, 2006.
- Wang, Yonggui and Zhilin Yang (2006), "Customer Asset Orientation: Antecedents and Consequences", The 2006 International Conference on Service Systems and Service Management, October, Volume: 1, 60-66.
- Zhuang, Guijun, Nan Zhou, Xiaolian Zhou, Chenting Su, and Zhilin Yang (2006), "Satisfaction, Trust and Commitment: The Role of Cultural Distance in International Marketing Channels", The First Annual Meeting of the Chinese Academy of Management, December 8-10, Beijing, China. [The Best Paper Award in Marketing].
- Zhuang, Guijun, Nan Zhou, Chenting Su, and Zhilin Yang (2006), "Social Capital, Guanxi, and Influence Strategies in Chinese Marketing Channels", The First Conference of Social Network and Guanxi, Harbin, China, 2006 (in Chinese).
- Zhuang, Guijun, Nan Zhou, Chenting Su, and Zhilin Yang (2006), "The Impact of Social Capital and Guanxi Orientation on Inter-firm Communication in Marketing Channels", Proceedings of The 2006 JMS Annual Conference, Wuhan, China, October 20-22, 2006 (in Chinese).
- Dou, Wenyu and Zhilin Yang (2006), "Cultural Distance, Entry Timing, and Brand Personality", 2006 Institute for Study of Business Markets (ISBM) B-to-B Academic Conference, August 3-4, Chicago, IL.
- Fam, Kim-Shyan, David Waller, and Zhilin Yang (2006), "Reducing Offensiveness of Advertising for Controversial Products: An Empirical Study of Three Generations in China", Presented at The 5th ICORIA 2006, June 30 – July 1, Bath, United Kingdom.
- Zhou, Kevin, Laura Poppo and Zhilin Yang (2005), "Do Chinese businesses endorse an economic order that is distinct from Western practice? An empirical governance inquiry", the Academy of Management meeting, A New Vision of Management in the 21st Century as an Interactive paper, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 5-10 Aug.
- Fam, Kim-shyan, Zhilin Yang and Petro Q. Brito (2005), "Media Management between Strategic Business Groups – Empirical Evidence from Portugal and New Zealand", 4th ICORIA 2005, Saarland University, Germany, June 2-4.
- Fam, Kim-Shyan Shun Cheong Fok, Zhilin Yang, and Laszlo Jozsa (2005), "Retail Sales Campaigns: A Comparison of Promotion Objectives and Activities Between New Zealand and Hungary", Australia and New Zealand Marketing Association Conference (ANZMAC) 2005 Conference, Fremantle WA, Australia, 5-7th Dec., 2005.
- Yang, Zhilin and Zuohao Hu (2005), "Determinants of Online Service Satisfaction and Their Impacts on Behavioral Intentions", The 47th Annual Meeting of the Academy of International Business, Academy of International Business, Yves Doz and Tunga Kiyak, eds., Québec City, Canada, p. 172, July 9-12, 2005.
- Zhou, Kevin, Laura Poppo, and Zhilin Yang (2005), "Examining Governance Choice in China: A Focus on Longstanding Ties, Relational Governance, and Contracts", Strategic Management Society’s 25th Annual International Conference, Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
- Fam, Kim-shyan and Zhilin Yang (2004), "The Effect of Environmental Uncertainty on Promotion Budget Allocation and Performance: A Cross-Country Study of Small Retailers", Australia and New Zealand Marketing Association Conference (ANZMAC) 2004 Conference, Wellington, New Zealand, 29 Nov - 1 Dec 2004.
- Yang, Zhilin and Zuohao Hu (2004), "Antecedents of Online Service Satisfaction: Their Impacts on Behavioral Intentions", First Conference on Marketing Science in China, Beijing, China, pp. 249-259, 27-28 Nov., 2004.
- Chong, Bessie, Zhilin Yang, and Michael Wong (2003), "Asymmetrical Impact of Trustworthiness on Trust, Perceived Value and Purchase Intention: A Conceptual Framework for Cross-cultural Study on Consumer Perception of Online Trading", The Fifth International Conference on Electronic Commerce, Pittsburgh, PA, Pittsburgh, PA, October 1-3, 2003.
- Yang, Zhilin (2003), "E-loyalty: Do switching costs matter?", The 32nd European Marketing Academy Conference, May, 2003 Glasgow, U.K, Glasgow, U.K, May, 2003.
- Shaohan Cai, Zhilin Yang, and Yue Shen (2003), "Antecedents and Consequences of the Internet Use in Industrial Purchasing", The Pan-Pacific Conference XX (S. Lee, F. Wang, and W. Li, eds.), Pan-Pacific Business Association, pp. 242-244.
- Fam, Kim-shyan and Zhilin Yang (2003), "Strategic Groups and Choice of Promotional Tools - Empirical Evidence from Portugal and New Zealand,", The Ninth Cross-Cultural Research Conference, (Scott R. Smith, ed.), Montego Bay, Jamaica.
- Chen, Jie and Zhilin Yang (2003), "Do Older Consumers Have More Brand Loyalty in China?", The Second International Business and Economy Conference, San Francisco, California, USA, January 9-12, 2003.
- Yang, Zhilin and Robin Peterson (2003), "Determinants of Online Service Satisfaction and Their Impacts on Behavioral Intentions", The 2003 AMA Summer Marketing Educators' Conference, Chicago, USA, Vol. 14, pp. 110, Aug 11-15, 2003.
- Fam, Kim-shyan, Brendan J. Gray, Regan Lam, and Zhilin Yang (2002), "Consumers' Views of University Promotion Campaign - Evidence from Malaysia, Singapore, and Hong Kong", Advances in Consumer Research (Rami Zwick and Tu Ping, eds.), Vol. 5, p.159.
- Fam, Kim-shyan, David Waller, Zhilin Yang and Regan Lam (2002), "Chinese Consumers' Attitudes towards Offensive Advertising: A Challenge for international marketers", Advances in Consumer Research (Rami Zwick and Tu Ping, eds.), Vol. 5, p.118.
- Yang, Zhilin and Kim-shyan Fam (2002), "Assessing Customer Satisfaction With Non-Profit Organizations: Evidence From Higher Education,", Advances in Consumer Research (Rami Zwick and Tu Ping, eds.), Vol. 5, p.1.
- Yang, Zhilin and Robin T. Peterson (2001), "Exploring Underlying Services Quality Dimensions of Internet Purchasing: Suggestions from Customers' Electronic World-of-mouth,", The 1st International Workshop on Management and Innovation of Services. European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management, Maastricht, The Netherlands, Maastricht, The Netherlands, April, 2001.
- Arthur F. Madsen and Zhilin Yang (2001), "The El Outaya Salt Refinery: An Algerian-American Joint Venture Technology Transfer Case,", The International Academy of African Business and Development Conference: Advanced Knowledge Development on African Business, (Alphoso Ogbuehi, ed.). Washington, Washington, pp. 55-62.
- Yang, Zhilin and Lily Huang (2001), "Quality Dimensions of Online Health Product Purchasing: What Consumers Think Important", Advances in Health Care Research Conference (Hair, Weber, and Hoverstad, eds.). Santa Fe, NM: Association for Health Care Research, pp. 121-132.
- Yang, Zhilin (2001), "Attract and Attain Internet Consumers: Service Quality Strategy", A Research Conference on Management in the Information Economy, Los Angeles, California, February 2001.
- Yang, Zhilin (2001), "Consumers Perception of Service Quality in Internet Commerce: Strategic Implications", The 2001 AMA Summer Marketing Educators' Conference, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 76-77.
- Yang, Zhilin (2001), "Sales Forecasting: An Analysis of the Political Process and Output Control", Professional Sales and Sales Management Practices Leading into the 21st Century (National Conference in Sales Management) (John M. Hawes, ed.). Dallas, Texas: Fisher Institute for Professional Selling, pp. 110-120.
- Yang, Zhilin (2001), "Global Promotion Mix Strategy: Understanding Customers and Products", Third Biennial Academy of Marketing/American Marketing Association Conference, Cardiff, Wales.