Prof. FANG Yulin (方鈺麟)
PhD - Information Systems (Ivey, Western University (UWO))
MPhil - Information Science (University of Bergen)
BSc - Management Information Systems (Fudan University)
- Professor, Department of Information Systems
Yulin Fang earned his PhD at Richard Ivey School of Business, The University of Western Ontario in Canada. His current research interests include knowledge and innovation management, globally distributed work arrangements, Strategy of IS, and social media and e-commerce.
Yulin has published over 50 research articles in renowned management and information systems journals, including Strategic Management Journal (SMJ), Journal of Management Studies (JMS), Organizational Research Methods (ORM), MIS Quarterly (MISQ), Information Systems Research (ISR), Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), among others. His research on open source software communities won the 2009 Senior Scholars Best IS Publication Award by the Association for Information Systems (AIS). His research on intra/inter-firm knowledge transfer in multinational enterprises was a finalist for the Samsung Best Paper Award and the Carolyn Dexter Award at the Academy of Management (AOM).
Yulin is currently serving as a Senior Editor for Information Systems Research and Information Systems Journal. He was an Associate Editor for several leading journals, including MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Information Systems Journal, and Information Technology & People. He was awarded the Associate Editor of the Year at Information Systems Research in 2015.
Prior to his PhD, Yulin served in the management / technology consulting industry, specialized in (e-)business strategy, marketing strategy and IT strategic planning. He also provided independent consultancy services on knowledge/Innovation management for Canadian Government and Alcatel Global.
Yulin is a professional case writer, having developed business cases for major technology and financial corporations operating in emerging markets, such as Alcatel China, Google China, Tencent, HK Stock Exchange, and HK Airport.
- Knowledge Management and Innovation
- IT-Driven Collaboration
- Internet-based Service Strategies
- Global Business
Case Study / Teaching Case
- Fung, T., Fang, Y., Wang, H., and Neufeld, D. (2011), "Keda’s SAP Implementation", Ivey Publishing Number 9B11E001, 14 pages; Teaching note number 8B11E001, Richard Ivey School of Business.
- Wade, M., Fang, Y. and Kang, W. (2011), "Tencent: Copying to Success", IMD publishing number 3-2274, IMD Business School.
- Yin, M., Fang, Y., Compeau, D. (2010), "Google in China (B)", Ivey Publishing: Richard Ivey School of Business, Canada, (Top 15 most popular cases by European Case Clearing House).
- Meister, D., Fang, Y. (2004), "Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Shanghai) - The Internet Banking Project", Ivey Publishing Number 9B04E024, 22 pages; Teaching Note Number 8B04E24, 12 pages, Richard Ivey School of Business.
- Meister, D., Fang, Y. (2004), "Shanghai Bell - The Collaborative Product Commerce System (CPC)", Ivey Publishing Number 9B04E023, 22 pages; Teaching Note Number 8B04E23, 12 pages, Richard Ivey School of Business.