Dr. Chiu prides himself as a pioneer in the mental health field of carer advocacy. The Family Link mental health psychoeducation program he launched has benefited several thousands of carers in six different Asian countries/cities (i.e. Hong Kong, Malaysia, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, and Philippines). He was formerly the Chief Editor for the Hong Kong Journal of Social Work, and the Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development, and is currently a member of the Editorial Committees of six peer-reviewed journals. Before joining CityU, he was the Graduate Coordinator and the Deputy Head of the Social Work Department of National University of Singapore. He is an honorary fellow to a number of research institute and is a Steering Committee member for the NAI, of NUS, which is a bilateral collaboration with University of Washngton St. Louis.
He earned his Masters of Science and Doctoral Degree in mental health social work, from the Victoria University of Manchester respectively in 1991 and 1995. He is a teacher, practitioner, and researcher and has close affiliation with mental health service providers in Hong Kong and Singapore. He has been an old comrade who has rendered his faithful teaching and services for more than 20 years.
Program Evaluation, Caregiving, Mental Health, Child & Family
Award and Achievement
Jun 2016 “Excellent Research Award Grant” ODPRT, National University of Singapore.
- 2012 - 2016, Associate Professor (Tenured), National University of Singapore.
- 1997 - 2012, Asst, Associate Professor, Hong Kong Baptist University.
- 1996 - 1997, Lecturer, Hong Kong Polytechnic.
Services outside CityU
- 2017 - Now, Board Member, Stewards (Hong Kong).Hong Kong.
Services in CityU
- Jan 2017 - Now, Department Strategic Planning Committee, Member.
- Jan 2017 - Now, Research Education Committee, Chair.
Editorial Committee Works
- 1. Editor-In-Chief, Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work (Jun 2013-Dec 2016 ) (Routledge)
2. Editorial Committee, Hong Kong Journal of Social Work (2011- ) (World Scientific)
3. Editorial Committee, Social Work in Mental Health (2015- ) (Taylor & Francis)
4. Editorial Committee, Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work (2015-) (Taylor & Francis)
5. Editorial Committee, Asia Pacific Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy (2017-) (Taylor & Francis)
6. Editorial Committee, Contemporary Social Work (Taiwan) (2016-)
7. Editorial Committee, Applied Research in Quality of Life (Springer) (2017-)
8. Editor-In-Chief, Hong Kong Journal of Social Work (Jan 2009- Dec 2010)
9. Managing Editor, Hong Kong Journal of Social Work (Jan 2006- Dec 2008)
Editorial Reviewer for Journals
Research in Developmental Disabilities (Elsevier)
Journal of Intellectual Disability Research (Sage)
Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities (Wiley)
Japan Journal of Nursing Science (Wiley)
Human Relations (Sage)
Quality of Life Research (Springer)
British Journal of Social Work (Oxford University Press)
Community Mental Health Journal (Springer)
Social Work in Health (Taylor & Francis)
Social Work in Mental Health (Taylor & Francis)
Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work (Taylor & Francis)
Asian Journal of Gambling Issues and Public Health (Springer)
Services in CityU
Research Studies Coordinator