Dr. Sun obtained his bachelor and master degrees in thermal energy and power from Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU) and in refrigeration and cryogenics from Hua Zhong University of Science and Technology (HUST) in 2003 and 2006 respectively, and he received his PhD degree in building services engineering from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2010. Before he joined in City University of Hong Kong in 2014, he was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Department of Building Services Engineering, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Dr. Sun’s current research focuses on HVAC, building energy efficiency, zero energy building and building integration with smart grid. One of his research aims is to improve building energy efficiency through system design and control optimizations.
- Building energy management
- Optimal and robust control strategies for HVAC system
- Net zero energy building design and control optimization
- Demand side management for smart grid
- Dynamic simulation of building systems
- HVAC and BMS system fault detection and diagnosis
- 2016, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 200k RMB, Net Zero Energy Building System Design and Control Optimizations Based on Power Mismatch Characteristics (as PI), Project No 51608463
- 2015, General Research Fund (GRF), 570k HK$, A Study on Coordinated Demand Response Control in a Group of Commercial Buildings for Grid Power Balance (as PI), Project No 9048038
- 2014, City University Start-up Fund, 200k HK$, Demand Response Control of Commercial Buildings Interaction with Smart Grid (as PI), Project No 7200398