Prof. Benny Y. C. HON
|+852 3442-8675 (Office)|
|+852 3442-0250 (Fax)|
- Kernel-Based Approximation
- Meshless Computation
- Inverse Problems
- Integrable Systems
- Gifted Education
Prof. Benny Y. C. Hon's major research interests include meshless computation using radial basis functions for solving various types of partial differential equations and numerical methods for solving inverse problems based on fundamental solutions and reproducing kernels. He is particularly keen in promoting the meshless radial basis functions method for solving real physical problems such as simulations of tides and waves; multiphasic fluid flows; micro-electro-mechanical systems; inverse heat conduction; image reconstruction; financial options pricing and nonlocal nonlinear peridynamic models. His current research focus is on the development of integration-based meshless computational method which has been shown to have distinct advantages in truly meshless, highly accurate, and unconditionally stable for solving multi-dimensional boundary value problems (BVPs) under various kinds of stiffness boundary conditions defined in irregular domains.
Recently, he has been awarded the Top 2% most highly cited scientists. A list of the top 2% most highly cited scientists could be found in a report prepared by Prof. John Ioannidis and his team in Stanford University. The report identifies scholars who have published multiple highly cited papers ranked according to various metrics on citation impact from 1996 to 2019 across multiple fields of research, and lists out the top 2% of most highly cited scientists in their respective fields., 2020. Based on the Top Scientists Ranking for 2022 using H-index: In Mathematics, he has also been ranked No. 49 in China and No. 1021 in the world.
He is now serving as an Associate Editor for the Journal of Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering (IPSE) and Journal of Applicable Analysis; member on the editorial board for six international journals including the Journals of Advances in Computational Mathematics and Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements with recent emphasis on meshless and mesh reduction methods. He has also co-edited several special issues on meshless computations and inverse problems for the Journals of Computers and Mathematics with Applications and Advances in Computational Mathematics. He is now co-editing a special Issue on Advanced Numerical and Computational Methods in Mechanics and Engineering for the Journal of Mathematics.
His educational research involves the identification and nurturing of mathematically gifted children. He had designed and offered several special gifted education programmes (MathCamp for gifted children 2001-02; Summer Workshop on art of mathematics at the La Salle College 2006-07; Talent, Aspiration, and Excellence programme for Hong Kong Academy for Gifted Education (HKAGE) students 2017-18; and Advanced Talent Education Programmes for Gifted Students in Hong Kong 2020-21 (The first Hong Kong Education Bureau (EDB)'s Gifted Education Fund) to stimulate students' intellectual interests and enthusiasm in studying mathematics through MATH@STEM project. He is now serving as adviser for Hong Kong Gifted Education Teachers' Association; Hong Kong Association for Parents of Gifted Children; and the HKSAR Education Bureau-Gifted Section.
- Generalized Finite Integration Method
- Meshless Computation using Radial Basis Functionns
- Inverse Problems
- Non-local Problems
- Gifted Education
Services in CityU
- Dr. Xian-zhong MAO, PhD, graduated in 1999.
- Dr. Anita Sze-mui WONG, PhD, graduated in 2000.
- Ms. Bei LIANG, MPhil, graduated in 2001.
- Dr. Xu ZHOU, PhD, graduated in 2002.
- Dr. Ting WEI, PhD, graduated in 2005. (Thesis Excellence Award)
- Dr. Zong-hang YANG, MPhil, graduated in September 2008.
- Dr. Ming LI, PhD, graduated in 2010.
- Dr. Yanjun ZHENG, PhD, graduated in 2012 (Thesis Excellence Award in Zhengzhou University).
- Dr. Dongfang YUN, PhD, graduated in 2015.
- Dr. Douglas NG, PhD, graduated in 2017.
- Dr. Yan Li, PhD, graduated in 2018.
- Dr. Min LEI, PhD, graduated in 2020.
- Mr. Addie Chi-ngai SAM, PhD, registered in June 2017.
- Ms. Kelly Ke-xin ZHANG, PhD, registered in Sept 2018.
- Ms. Yan MA, PhD, registered in August 2021.
- Ms. Jia-yi LI, PhD, admitted in February 2022.
Services outside CityU
- Member on the International School Advisory Board (European Union Councils) (Five years starting from March 2021)
- Visiting Professor at the University of Science and Technology of China (Three years starting from January 2021)
- Visiting Professor at the Taiyuan University of Technology under the Shanxi Hundred Talents Programme (2012-2015)
- Member on Advisory Committee on the Gifted Education Section of the Education Bureau, HKSAR (2006-2018)
- Adviser for the Hong Kong Association for Parents of Gifted Children (2011-now)
- Honourable Mentor for the Hong Kong Academy for Gifted Education (2011)
- Honourable Advisor for the Hong Kong Gifted Education Teachers' Association (2015-now)
- Member on Public Affairs Forum, HKSAR (2005-now)
- Member on the Adjudicating Committee of Yau's High School Applied Math Competition 2011
- Organiser and Panel Member for the Contemporary Undergraduate Mathematical Contest in Modeling (CUMCM) HongKong-Macau District (2011-2013)
- Honourable Advisor for the Secondary School Mathematics & Science Competition (2005-now)
- Visiting Professor at The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan (2007)
- Visiting Professor at the University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany (2002)
Participating in or organising a conference / an event
- Chief Organiser on the Fifth International Conference on Inverse Problems, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, December 13-17, 2010.
- Chief Organiser for the First Workshop on Industrial Applications held at the City University of Hong Kong, July 8-12, 2002.
- Chief Organiser for the First International Conference on Inverse Problems, City University of Hong Kong, January 9-12, 2002.
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering (IPSE)
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Applicable Analysis
Member on the Editorial Board
- Journal of Advances in Computational Mathematics
- International Journal of Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements
- International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics
- International Journal of Computational Methods
- International Journal of Applied Science and Computations
- Building Research Journal
- International Journal of Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences (2004-2007)
- Guest Editor for a special issue on Special Issue on Advanced Numerical and Computational Methods in Mechanics and Engineering for the Journal of Mathematics, to appear in 2023.
- Guest Editor for a special issue on recent advances in problems involving stability and singularity for the Journal of Neural, Parallel, and Scientific Computations, 2015-16.
- Co-editor for a special issue on inverse problems for the Journal of Applicable Analysis, Vol. 91, No. 4, pp. 615-616, 2012.
- Co-editor with Professors Jin Cheng and Masahiro Yamamoto for a special issue on inverse problems for the Journal of Advances in Computational Mathematics, 2009-2010.
- Co-editor with Professors Alex Cheng, Kassab A., and Pan E for a special issue on Nano-computation for the Journal of Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 2007 and 2008.
- Co-editor with Professor Zongmin Wu for a special issue on Recent Theoretical and Practical Developments in Meshless Methods for the Journal of Advances in Computational Mathematics, 2005.
- Co-editor with Dr. Edward Kansa for a special issue on Radial Basis Functions for the Journal of Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 2002.