- M.S., Public Relations, University of Maryland, USA
- Ph.D., Mass Communication, University of Maryland, USA
- Chair Professor of Communication and Media, Department of Media and Communication, City University of Hong Kong, Jan. 2020-present
- Emeritus Professor, School of Journalism and Communication, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Jan. 2021-present
- Professor, School of Journalism and Communication, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Jan. 2008-Jan. 2021
- Professor, Department of Advertising, National Chengchi University, Taiwan.
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Advertising, National Chengchi University.
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Mass Communication, Fu Jen University.
Yi-Hui Christine Huang is Chair Professor of Communication and Media and currently serves as the Assoicate Dean of College of Libreal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) at City University of Hong Kong. She has served as an Associate Editor for Journal of Public Relations Research and Communication and Society (ICA affiliated journal), a founding editorial board member for Journal of International Crisis and Risk Communication Research, and editorial boards of more than ten major international SSCI journals (e.g., Journal of Communication and Communication Theory), and regional TSSCI journals in the fields of communications and public relations (PR).
Professor Huang has received multiple international research awards and recognition for originality, quality, and productivity, including 35 Top Papers and other commendations for research. Moreover, she received the 2012 Vice-Chancellor’s Exemplary Teaching Award at CUHK and the Exemplary Teaching Award, Faculty of Social Science, CUHK, in 2012 and 2016.
In the past 10 years, she has delivered 19 international keynotes in the USA, Austria, Australia, Korea, Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, testifying to the broad reach and social impact of her work. In addition to keynotes, she has also given about 100 invited presentations at scholarly and professional meetings. She also has been an active contributor to the academic and professional communities. For example, she served as the Vice President of the Chinese Communication Society of the Republic of China.
- Public relations and strategic communication
- Crisis and risk communication
- Cross-cultural communication and relationship
- Chinese communication and relationship management
- Conflict resolution and negotiation
- Collaborative Research Fund (CRF) (2021/06 to 2023/05). HK$3,067,301. (Mis)communication, Trust, and Information Environments: A Comparative Study of the COVID-19 “Infodemics” in Four Chinese Societies. Co-Principa Investigator. [The grant was awarded on a competitive basis.]
- Faculty Research Grant (2020/10 to 2022/10). HK$100,000. Culture Shift as Viral Symptom: A Study of Cultural Value Change in Hong Kong during the COVID-19 Pandemic (9618019). Principal Investigator.
- SGP - CityU Startup Grant for Professor (2020-5-01 to 2023-04-30). HK$600,000. Risk, Communication, and Trust in the Context of a Global Pandemic: A Study of COVID-19 in Three Chinese Societies (9380119). Principal Investigator.
- General Research Fund (GRF) (2017-09 to 2021-06). HK$338,600. Picking your poison: An analysis of public risk perception, institutional trust, and crisis communication during food and water-safety crises in risk society (14616617). Principal Investigator. [The grant was awarded on a competitive basis.]
- COM3408 Integrated Strategic Communication
- COM5403 Crisis Communication and Management
Services in CityU
- Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Social Science (CLASS), City University of Hong Kong (2021-03-01 to present)
- Member, Senate, City University of Hong Kong (2020-01-10 to present)
- Coordinator, Research Sub-cluster of Risk and Communication, Research cluster of One Health, City University of Hong Kong (2020-01-15 to present)
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Senior Associate Editor, Journal of Public Relations Research [Leading journal in public relations; SSCI journal (Jan. 2020-present)
- Associate Editor, Communication and Society《傳播與社會》. [TSSCI journal] [ComAbstract journal] (in Chinese) (January 2012 to present)
- Founding Editorial Board Member, Journal of International Crisis and Risk Communication (in English) (May 2017-present)
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Communications Booknotes Quarterly Journal (in English) (Feb. 2021-present)
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Communication [SSCI journal] (Jan. 2008-present)
- Member, Editorial Board, Public Relations Review [SSCI journal] (Aug. 2007-present)
- Member, Editorial Board, Communication Research and Practice (Oct. 2014-present)
- Member, Editorial Board, Asian Journal of Communication, [SSCI journal] (Jan. 2011- present)
- Vice Editor-in-chief, Mass Communication Research [TSSCI journal] (in Chinese) (2002 to 2008)
- Deputy Editor-in-chief, Journal of Advertising and Public Relations (in Chinese) (2002 to 2003)
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Public Relations Research, [SSCI journal] (2000-2009; Jan. 2016-2019)
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Business Ethics [SSCI journal] (2008-2019)
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Strategic Communication (in English) [ComAbstract journal] (2015-2019)
- Member, Editorial Board, Communication Studies (in English) [ComAbstract journal] (2003-2019)
- Member, Editorial Board, Communication Theory [SSCI journal] (2005-2008)
- Member, Editorial Board, Chinese Journal of Communication Research [TSSCI journal] (2004-2007)
- Member, Editorial Board, Mass Communication Research [TSSCI journal] (1999-2001)
- Member, Editorial Board, Communication Research Newsletter (In Chinese) (1999-2001)
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Advertising and Public Relations (In Chinese) (1997-2007)
- Exemplary Teaching Award, Faculty of Social Science, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2016
- Top Paper Award, Public Relations Division, the International Communication Association, 2013
- Vice-chancellor’s Exemplary Teaching Award, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2012
- Exemplary Teaching Award, Faculty of Social Science, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2012
- Top Division Paper Award (Robert Heath Award), Public Relations Division, the International Communication Association, 2010, Singapore, 2010
- Top Faculty Paper Award, Public Relations Division, the International Communication Association, 2010, Singapore, 2010
Visiting Professor, Graduate Institute of Mass Communication, National Taiwan Normal University
Visiting Scholar, the Center for East Asia Democratic Studies, National Taiwan University
Visiting Fellow, School of Advertising, Marketing, and Public Relations. QUT School of Business at the Queensland University of Technology
Visiting Scholar, Business School, The University of Queensland
Visiting Professor, The University at Buffalo/Singapore Institute of management (SIM)
Visiting Scholar, Peace and Conflict Studies, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Visiting Professor, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School, Harvard University, USA
Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program Award, Harvard Law School, Harvard University, USA
Selected Keynote Speech
- Huang, Y. H. (December 26, 2020). Keynote speech on “Engagement and Culture: Theoretical Model and Case Study” (涉入/捲入與文化：理論模型與個案探討), The 6th China Intercultural Communication Forum (2020), Sichuan International Studies University, Sichuan, China.
- Huang, Y. H. (January 8, 2020). Keynote speech on “Branding, corporate core values, and public relations,” presented at the annual conference of China International Public Relations Association (CIPRA), Hainan, China.
- Huang, Y. H. (January 10, 2019). Keynote speech on “corporate reputation and business model,” the Research Center of Corporate Reputation in Greater Bay area.
- Huang, Y. H. (October, 2018). Keynote speech on “Stakeholder engagement and emergency communication: Cross-cultural lessons” at the International Symposium on Communicating Nuclear and Radiological Emergencies to the Public, organized by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). October 1-5, Vienna, Austria.
- Huang, Y. H. (March, 2018). Keynote speech on “bridging the culture gap in crisis and risk communication” to presented at the annual International Crisis and Risk Communication Conference, Orlando, USA.
- Huang, Y. H. (August 18, 2017). Keynote speech on “The development of public relations discipline and paradigm in digital era: Prospective and challenges,” presented at the international conference of Chinese Journalism. Zhengzhou, China. (數位化時代中國公共關係學科與范式的發展：機遇與挑戰)
- Huang, Y. H. (April 27, 2017). Invited key-note speech (one among three) on “Communications and Chinese culture,” presented at the International conference held by International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), April, 27, Hong Kong, SAR.
- Huang, Y. H. (Dec. 28, 2016). Keynote speech on “The paradigm shift of public relations: Presence, challenges, and prospects from the perspective of legitimacy,” presented at the Asia Pacific Chinese public relations awards and convention, Taiwan/Taipei International public relations Association, December 28-31, 2016.
- Huang, Y. H. (Nov. 28, 2014). Keynote speech on “Paradigm shift of public relation: Trust management in a risk society,” keynote speech presented at an International Conference held by Korean Academic Society for Public Relations (KASPR), Seoul, Korea.
- Huang, Y. H. (November 22-23, 2014). Invited keynote speech on “Living with Big Data: Urban Image & Public Relations,” delivered at 2014 International Public Relations Summit, Shanghai, China.
- Huang, Y. H. (Oct. 1, 2014). Keynote speech on “Crisis Communication in Chinese Context,” presented to the International Communication Association (ICA), Regional Conference in Queensland University of Technology, Australia.
- Huang, Y. H. (Feb. 25h, 2014), Keynote speech on “Governing with the Media in the Risk Society,” delivered in an international conference held by School of Journalism and Communication in Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
- Huang, Y. H. (October 26, 2013). Invited speech on “Trust and public relations in risky society,” (「風險社會中的信任與公共關係」) delivered at the 2nd Public Relations Forum in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong, Hangzhou Public Relations Associations, Hangzhou, China
- Huang, Y. H. (Nov. 10, 2012), Keynote speech on “Internet, crisis communication, and theoretical challenges,” presented to the bi-annual conference of the Taiwan Academy for Information Society, Taiwan.
Ph.D. Students and their Current Affiliations
- Chen Joanne Lyu, Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Tobacco Control research and Education, the University of California at San Francisco, USA (email@example.com); PhD Thesis: Unveiling the Mystery of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Effectiveness: Prior CSR Record, Crisis, Domain Fit, and the Mediating Role of Motive Attribution (2014)
- Qing Huang, Assistant Professor, College of Media and International Culture, Zhejiang University, China (firstname.lastname@example.org); PhD Thesis: Institutional Trust Matters: Revisiting the ELM in the Context of Risk Communication in China (2016)
- Fang Wu, Associate Professor, School of Media & Communication, Shanghai JiaoTong University, China (email@example.com); PhD Thesis: Making Peace or Holding a Grudge? The Role of Publics’ Forgiveness in Crisis Communication (2016)
- Deya Xu, Assistant Professor, China Institute for Urban Governance, Shanghai JiaoTong University, China (firstname.lastname@example.org); PhD Thesis: How Can City Image be Cultivated? Understanding the Influence of Media Communication on People’s Perceptions of City Image and Evaluations of and Behavioral Intentions Toward a City (2017)
- Joanna Qijun He, Assistant Professor, School of Journalism & Communication, Shanghai University, China (email@example.com); PhD Thesis: Let Context Speak: Exploring Institutional Influence on Corporate Crisis Communication by Incorporating Institutional Logics Perspective (2017)
- Christine Huiying Choy, Assistant Professor, Department of Art and Design, Hang Seng University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (firstname.lastname@example.org); PhD Thesis: Revisiting the Nature, Roles, and Impacts of Political Public Relations in an Election Campaign: A Cultural Discourse Perspective (2019)