In August 2012, Dr. Xun-Li Wang joined the City University of Hong Kong as a Chair Professor and Head of the Department of Physics and Materials Science.
Prior to assuming the current position, he had been working at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in the US, rising through the ranks to Distinguished Staff Member. As a senior scientist in the Neutron Science Directorate, he led innovative research, using neutron scattering as a primary tool, to understand deformation and phase transformation behavior in complex materials.
Professor Wang received his Ph.D. from Iowa State University and B.S. from Peking University, both in Physics. He is an elected Fellow of the American Physical Society, and his early work on welding residual stresses was awarded an A. F. Davis Medal by the American Welding Society.
- Neutron and synchrotron scattering
- Phase transformation, deformation, magnetism, residual stress determination
- Metallic glasses, nanostructured materials, magnetic shape memory alloys
- 2015 “Chair” Gordon Research Conference . The inaugural Gordon Research Conference on Neutron Scattering, June 21-25, 2015, Hong Kong. [URL]
- 2010 “Elected Fellow” American Physical Society. “For sustained contribution in neutron diffraction studies of structure, phase transformations, and mechanical behavior in materials and engineering systems and leadership in the design and construction of a versatile engineering diffractometer at the Spallation Neutron Source.”.
- 2009 “Chang Jiang Chair Professorship （教育部长江讲座教授）” Chinese Ministry of Education.
- 2008 “Outstanding Oversea Scholars（中国科学院海外知名学者）” Chinese Academy of Sciences. .
- 2006 “Outstanding Oversea Young Scientist Award (基金委杰出青年B类)” National Natural Science Foundation of China.
- 1999 “A. F. Davis Silver Medal” American Welding Society .
- 1998 “Significant Event Award” Oak Ridge National Laboratory. for solving the cracking problems in kraft recovery boilers in the pulp and paper industry.
- 1998 “Walter A. Mueller Memorial Award” 9th International Symposium on Corrosion in the Pulp and Paper Industry. for the best paper presented at the conference.
- 1985 “CUSPEA Scholar” (China-US Physics Examination and Application program).
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- 1 Jan 2009 - 10 Aug 2012, Distinguished Research Staff, Neutron Scattering Science Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Led innovative research, using neutron scattering as a primary tool, to understand deformation and phase transformation behavior in complex materials.
- 1 Dec 2008 - Now, Adjunct Professor, University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- 1 Jan 2006 - 1 Mar 2011, Group Leader, Powder Diffraction Group, Neutron Scattering Science Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Oversaw powder diffraction and neutron imaging instruments at both the Spallation Neutron Source and High Flux Isotope Reactor, two premier neutron sources in the world.
- 1 Oct 1999 - 1 Mar 2011, Lead Instrument Scientist and Project Manager for VULCAN, Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Responsible for the design, construction, and commissioning of VULCAN, the engineering diffractometer at the Spallation Neutron Source.
- 9 May 1994 - 1 Oct 1999, Research Staff, Metals and Ceramics Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- 9 Mar 1992 - 1 May 1994, Postdoc Fellow, Metals and Ceramics Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Services outside CityU
- 21 Jun 2015 - 26 Jun 2015, Chair, The inaugural Gordon Research Conference on Neutron Scattering. Hong Kong.
- 11 Aug 2014 - 15 Aug 2014, Director, Croucher Summer Course on Neutron Scattering. Hong Kong.
- 1 Jan 2014 - Now, Member, Editorial Board of Intermetallics.
- 1 Jan 2014 - 31 Dec 2015, Member, Editorial Board of Scientific Report.
- 1 Dec 2013 - 6 Dec 2013, Lead Organizer (with Brent T. Fultz, M. K. Crawford, and M. D. Lumsden), Symposium on “Neutron Scattering Study of Advanced Materials” , 2013 MRS Fall Meeting. USA.
- Nov 2013 - May 2016, Member, The Bragg Institute Program Advisory Committee, The Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organization (ANSTO) (2013 – 2016).
- 2012, Member of Selection Committee for “Sustained Research and Science Prize”, Neutron Scattering Society of America .
- 11 Sep 2011 - 15 Sep 2011, Appointed to Review Committee, US Department of Energy, Basic Energy Sciences, Operational Review of the Advanced Photon Source. USA.
- 2011 - 2013, Chair, Chemistry and Physics of Materials Committee, TMS (www.tms.org). USA.
- 2010 - 2013, Member, Neutron Science Proposal Review Committee (NSPRC), Japan Proton Accelerator Complex.
- 10 Feb 2009 - 12 Feb 2009, Member of Review Committee of Los Alamos Lujan Neutron Science Center, US Department of Energy, Office of Basic Energy Sciences. USA.
Services in CityU
Research / Thesis Supervision
- Aug 2014 - Now, High Entropy Alloys, PhD Thesis - Ms. Bing Wang.
- Aug 2013 - Now, Bulk Metallic Glasses, PhD Thesis - Ms. Xiaoya WEI.
- Aug 2013 - Now, Bulk Metallic Glasses, PhD Thesis - Ms. Xuelian WU.
- Oct 2014 - Nov 2014, AP8180, Modern Scattering Methods in Materials Science.
- Sep 2013 - Dec 2013, AP1201, General Physics.
- Public Seminar at 散裂中子源参展2016中国（东莞）国际科技合作周, December 16, 2016
- “Super microscope’ stars at unique CityU summer course,” City University of Hong Kong, August 10, 2014
- “Neutrons Probe Inner Workings of Batteries,” ORNL Review, http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/v44_3_11/article04.shtml
- Also featured on the website of Office of Sciences, US Department of Energy, In Focus section, October 18, 2011
- “我校与中科院高能物理研究所共同申请的406次香山科学会议在京召开,” 北京科技大学, 2011年9月30日 http://alumni.ustb.edu.cn/infoSingleArticle.do?articleId=3885&columnId=119
- “SNS user finds 'perfect instrument' for materials research,” ORNL News Features, March 24, 2011, http://phys.org/news/2011-03-spallation-neutron-source-user-instrument.html
- “Neighbor lends a hand: Spallation Neutron Source's VULCAN 'ideal' tool to probe ITER's superconducting cable,” ORNL Press Release, January 14, 2011
- “Giant neutron 'microscope' will study glass transition,” Washington University in St. Louis, March 19, 2010
- MTS Newsletter on VULCAN Load-frame, “Getting Particular,” September 20, 2009
- 路甬祥指出：大科学装置的建设要及早做好准备工作(图), December 31, 2000
Below displays the top Fingerprint concepts, per subject area for this Expert. Fingerprint concepts that appear on this page are based on all the research output produced by this Expert.