W.K. Chan is an associate professor of computer science at City University of Hong Kong. He received all his BEng in Computer Engineering, MPhil degree and PhD degree from The University of Hong Kong. He was in the industry to manage and develop software applications for many years prior to returning to The University of Hong Kong to complete his PhD study. He is the special issues editor (2013-present) and editoiral board member (2008-present) of Journal of Systems and Software, an editor (2015-present) of International Journal of Creative Computing, an advisory editor (2015-present) of Internatonal Journal of Big Data Intelligent., and guest editors of a few international academic journals. He also serves as prgoram/review committee members of many international conferences. He was program co-chairs of QSIC'10 and AST'10, the SETA symposium chair of COMPSAC'15-'16 (software engineering and technology), the area chair of ICWS'15 (services composition), the track chair of APSEC'12 (emerging research), and a steering committee member of IWPD. He delivered his first keynote address at IWPD'11. His work has been reported in more than 100 articles published at major publication venues including TSE, TOSEM, TPDS, T-Rel, TSC, TAAS, CACM, COMPUTER, JSS, IST, STVR, JWSR, SPE, ICSE, FSE, ASE, ISSTA, WWW, ICDCS, QSIC, QRS, ICWS, and COMPSAC. (Information about these published work can be found in his Google Scholar page.) He won the best paper awards from COMPSAC'04, COMPSAC'08, COMPSAC'10, and QSIC'11. His WWW09 paper was nominated as best papers (6 out of 888 submissions). One of his papers was the feature article of the Sep/Oct 2015 issue of TSC. More than 10 conferences papers have been invited to be expanded into journal versions. His research has been funded by many competitive and external fund sources with a cumulative sum of more than 20 millions Hong Kong dollars.
He teaches courses in the area of software engineering. They include couress in programming, software design, software enginering practice, and e-logistics appliaton developments. Over the years, he supervised many CS projects, Creative Media projects, e-Logistics projects, and eCommerce projects for both undergraduate students and master students. His CS students got the best CSE FYP project poster awards for two consecutive years (2013/14 and 2014/15), where each year only one CS student may receive this award. Some FYP students under his supervision also published and presented their FYP creative work in internatonal meetings or journals (e.g., Web-based recommendation, Bug detection, Debugging). He graduated a few PhD students under his primary supervison or co-supervison, and they are working in either the industry (e.g., IBM Research China, Goldman Sachs Hong Kong, ASTRI) or the academica (e.g., Chinese Academy of Science, Beihang University). One of his PhD students is an Hong Kong PhD Fellowship awardee. If you would like to know more about his students (at all levels), you are welcome to visit the Research tab here.
Dr Chan is the Program Leader of the MSc in E-Commerce programmee offered by the University. Again, if you want to know more about this programme, please visit the MSEC tab here. He also serves as the director of the CityUCS Laboratory of Software Engineering and Methodology.
Software Scalability and Concurrency
Big Data Software Infrastructure
Services in CityU
- 1 Sep 2016 - 31 Aug 2018, College Board of Science and Engineering, Board Member.
- Jul 2016 - Jun 2017, Lab Management Committee, Chairman.
- Jul 2016 - Jun 2017, Resources Committee, Member.
- Sep 2015 - Now, Academic Development Committee, Member.
- Sep 2015 - Now, Academic Program Committee, Member.
- Sep 2015 - Now, DEC Sub-Committee, Member.
- Sep 2015 - Now, Departmental Executive Committee, Member.
- Sep 2015 - Aug 2016, Departmental Staffing Committee, Member.
- Sep 2015 - Now, Lab Management Committee, Member.
- Sep 2015 - Now, Quality Assurance Sub-Committee, Member.
- Jul 2015 - Nov 2015, HKIE Accreditation Visit Committee , Member.
- Jul 2015 - Now, MSc in Computer Science Programme Committee, Member.
- Jul 2015 - Now, MSc in Electronic Commerce Programme Committee, Chairman.
- 2015 - Now, MSc in Electronic Commerce, Programme Director.
- 1 Jan 2014 - Now, Laboratory of Software Engineering and Methodology, Director.
- 2014 - 2015, MSc in Electronic Commerce, Deputy Programme Director .
- Jan 2016 - Aug 2016, P6, eCommerce Project.
- Jan 2016 - May 2016, B3, e-Logistics Application System.
- Sep 2015 - Dec 2015, B2, Computer Programming.
Services outside CityU
- 2015 - Now, Advisory Editor, Internatonal Journal of Big Data Intelligent.
- 2015 - Now, Editor, International Journal of Creative Computing.
- 2013 - Now, Special Issue Managing Editor, Journal of System and Software.
Below displays the top Fingerprint concepts, per subject area for this Expert. Fingerprint concepts that appear on this page are based on all the research output produced by this Expert.