Prof. CHUI Wing Hong (崔永康)
BSW (HKU), MPhil (Cambridge), PhD (Cambridge)
Eric Chui has been appointed as Professor in the Department of Social and Behavioural Sciences since August 2014, and as the Dean of Students of City University of Hong Kong since August 2019 (available at: https://www.cityu.edu.hk/cityu/depts/u-admin.htm).
He has also been appointed by the Centre for Criminology as Honorary Fellow since 2014 at The University of Hong Kong (available at: https://crime.hku.hk/single-php/centre-fellows/).
Previously, he taught social work, criminology and law at the University of Exeter (UK), University of Queensland (Australia), and The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Eric was educated at the University of Hong Kong (BSW) and the University of Cambridge (MPhil, PhD). His current research interests focus on the effectiveness of probation supervision for young offenders, and young defendants’ views of the legal personnel in Hong Kong. Eric was the managing editor and book review editor of the Asian Journal of Criminology, and serves on the editorial board of a number of academic journals including the Australian Social Work (SSCI), Child & Family Social Work (SSCI), International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology (SSCI), International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (SSCI), and Social Work Education: An International Journal.
He was the Guest Editor of a Special Issue "Youth Violence as a Public Health Issue", International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (SSCI, available at: http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijerph/special_issues/youth_violence).
He is currently the Series Editor of Routledge Studies in Crime and Justice in Asia and the Global South, and welcomes prospective authors to approach him for a possible research monograph. (Available at: https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Studies-in-Crime-and-Justice-in-Asia-and-the-Global-South/book-series/RSCJAGS).
- Youth and Crime
- Criminal Justice
- Youth Social Work
- 2008 - 2014, Associate Professor, Department of Social Work and Social Administration, HKU. Concurrent appointment as Associate Dean (Undergraduate Education) of the Faculty of Social Sciences (2011-2014).
- 2007 - 2008, Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, CUHK.
- 2005 - 2007, Senior Lecturer, School of Social Science, The University of Queensland.
- 2002 - 2005, Assistant Professor, School of Law, CityU.
- 2000 - 2002, Lecturer, School of Social Work and Social Policy, The University of Queensland.
- 1999 - 2000, Lecturer, Department of Social Work and Probation Studies, The University of Exeter.
- 1998 - 1999, Fieldwork Instructor, Division of Social Studies, CityU.
- 1993 - 1998, Team Leader (Outreaching Team), HKYWCA.
Award and Achievement
- 1993 “HongKong and Shanghai Bank Scholarships” HSBC.
- 1993 “Swire Exhibitions (for Swire Hall at the University of Hong Kong)” John Swire & Sons.
- 1994 “Cambridge Commonwealth Trust” UK Commonwealth Trust.
- 1995 “S.L. Pao Education Foundation Scholarship” S.L. Pao Education Foundation.
- 1997 “Li Po Chun Charitable Trust Fund Overseas Postgraduate Scholarships ” Li Po Chun Charitable Trust Fund.
- 2000 “The Oxford and Cambridge Society of Hong Kong Scholarship Grant Award ” The Oxford and Cambridge Society of Hong Kong.
- 2010 “Young Scholar Award for Outstanding Abstract” 2010 Joint World Conference on Social Work and Social Development.
- 2015 “International Ambassador” British Society of Criminology. [URL]
- 2016 “COFUND Senior Research Fellowship” Durham University. [URL]
Services outside CityU
- 2019 - Now, Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (MDPI) (SSCI).Switzerland.
- 2016 - Now, Member, Asia Advisory Board (Book Reviews), Social Work Education: The International Journal (Taylor & Francis).UK.
- 2016 - 2020, Member, Editorial Board, Asian Journal of Domestic Violence and Sexual Offense, Taiwan Association for Treatment of Domestic Violence and Sex Offense.Chiayi, Taiwan.
- 2015 - Now, Member, Editorial Board, Child & Family Social Work (Wiley) (SSCI).UK.
- 2014 - 2015, Member, Editorial Board, The COLLOQUIA: An Interdisciplinary Research Journal, Wisemans Books Trading, Inc..Philippines.
- 2014 - Now, Member, Editorial Board, Australian Social Work (Taylor & Francis) (SSCI).Australia.
- 2013 - 2016, Advisory Editor, The Encyclopedia of Corrections, John Wiley & Sons, Inc..US.
- 2013 - 2020, Specialist, Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications.Hong Kong.
- 2012 - Now, Assessment Panel Member, Hong Kong Social Workers Registration Board.Hong Kong.
- 2012 - Now, Member, Editorial Board, Sociology and Criminology – Open Access (OMICS Publishing Group) (On-line: http://www.esciencecentral.org/journals/sociology-and-criminology.php).US.
- 2011 - Now, Editor-in-chief, Advances in Applied Sociology (Scientific Research Publishing) (On-line: http://www.scirp.org/journal/aasoci/).US.
- 2009 - 2016, Corresponding Editor (Southeast Asia), Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work (Whiting and Birch).UK.
- 2009 - Now, Member, International Editorial Advisory Board, International Journal of Criminal Justice Sciences (On-line: http://www.sascv.org/ijcjs/).India.
- 2008 - 2015, Member, Editorial Advisory Board, The Open Social Science Journal (Bentham Science Publishers).US.
- 2008 - 2011, Member, Editorial Board, Asia Pacific Journal of Police and Criminal Justice (Asian Association of Police Studies).Korea.
- 2007 - 2015, Member, Editorial Board, Social and Public Policy Review.UK.
- 2005 - Now, Consulting / Associate Editor, International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology (Sage) (SSCI).US.
- 2020 - Now, Council Member, Sheng Kung Hui St. Christopher's Home Limited.Hong Kong.
- 2018 - 2020, Member, Advisory Committee, Hang Seng – St. James’ Settlement Youth Portal.
- 2015 - 2017, Honorary Consultant, Caritas.Hong Kong.
- 2014 - Now, Member, Executive Board, End Child Sexual Abuse Foundation.Hong Kong.
- 2013 - Now, Member, Research Committee, The Society for the Aid and Rehabilitation of Drug Abusers.Hong Kong.
- 2012 - Now, Consultant, Youth Crime Prevention Centre, Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups.Hong Kong.
- 2012 - Now, Member, Executive Committee, The Society of Rehabilitation and Crime Prevention.Hong Kong.
- 2010 - Now, Professional Consultant, Youth Services, HKYWCA.Hong Kong.
- 2019 - 2021, External Examiner, Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) in Social Work, HKCT Institute of Higher Education.Hong Kong.
- 2019 - 2021, Scientific Advisory Board, School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work, The University of Queensland.Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- 2018 - 2021, External Examiner, Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) in Social Development Studies (Social Innovation and the Environment), HKCT Institute of Higher Education.Hong Kong.
- 2016, External Reviewer, Accreditation Documents – Bachelor of Social Sciences (Honours) Programme, Centennial College, HKU.Hong Kong.
- 2015 - 2023, External Examiner, Bachelor of Social Work (Hons), Hong Kong Shue Yan University.Hong Kong.
- 2014, Member (Overseas), External Course Appraisal Committee, Bachelor of Social Sciences, University of Wollongong.Australia.
- 2013 - 2019, External Academic Advisor, Division of Social Sciences, Community College of City University.Hong Kong.
- 2015 - Now, SS5114, Legal Issues for the Social Worker.
- 2015 - 2016, SS4296, Research Project in Criminology.
- 2015 - Now, SS3282, Social Work and the Law.
- 2014 - Now, SS4300, Advanced Criminological Theory.
- 2014 - 2015, CLA1602, Individuals and Society.
- 2014 - Now, SS4207, Working with Young People and Offenders.
- 2014 - 2015, SS1012, Youth in a Changing Society.
Services in CityU
- Sep 2019 - Aug 2021, College Board of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Nominated Member.
- Sep 2019 - Aug 2021, Student Discipline Committee, CityU, Member.
- Jan 2019 - Aug 2020, School Research Committee, School of Law, CityU, Appointed Member.
- Sep 2018 - Aug 2020, College Research Committee, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, CityU, Member.
- Jul 2018 - Jun 2019, Assistant Head, Department of Social and Behavioural Sciences.
- May 2017 - Aug 2017, Departmental Staffing Committee, Department of English, CityU, Appointed Member.
- 21 Feb 2017 - 31 Aug 2019, Senate, CityU, Elected Member.
- Sep 2016 - Aug 2018, College Board, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, CityU, Elected Member.
- Jul 2016 - Feb 2017, College Graduate Studies Committee (Research Degrees), Member.
- 1 Sep 2015 - Now, Departmental Staffing Committee, Member.
- Jul 2015 - Jul 2019, Research Excellence Group, Departmental Co-ordinator.
- Aug 2014 - Jun 2019, Departmental Executive Committee, Department of Applied Social Sciences, Member.
- Aug 2014 - Jul 2019, Research and Knowledge Transfer, Department Co-ordinator.
- 1 Sep 2017 - Now, LUI, Ka Ki David (Youth and The Theatre of the Oppressed), M.Phil. (Part-time).
- 1 Sep 2017 - Now, KICONCO, Milliam (Female Murderers in Uganda), PhD.
- 1 Sep 2015 - Now, ZHANG, Haoyue (Youth Crime and Social Exclusion), PhD.
- 1 Sep 2015 - 30 Nov 2019, KHIATANI, Paul (Political Sociology), PhD.
- 1 Sep 2015 - Now, CHOW, Mei Ling (Gifted Children and Parenting), PhD (Part-time).
- 2018, Adolescent delinquent problems, effective prevention and intervention strategies in Hong Kong, Adolescents’ Behavioral Problems, 1 June 2018, Organized by Korea Youth Research Association, Seoul, Korea (Keynote Speaker).
- 2018, Juvenile justice system in Hong Kong, China Social Work Education (Jiangsu Province) Annual Conference, 18 July 2018, Organized by Yangzhou University , Yangzhou. [Keynote Speaker].
- 2018, Modern theories of juvenile delinquency, 2nd Summer School, 11-13 July 2018, Organized by the Department of Sociology, Nanjing University , Nanjing. [Invited Speaker].
- 2017, Association between caregiver stress and behavioral problems in the children of incarcerated fathers in Hong Kong, International Coalition for the Children of Incarcerated Parents Conference, 20-23 March 2017, Auckland, New Zealand (Keynote Speaker).
- 2017, Cost of crime in Hong Kong, 35th Anniversary CSD International Conference, 19-20 July 2017, Organized by Correctional Services Department, HKSAR (Invited Speaker).
- 2016, "Outreach youth social work in Hong Kong: Social care or control", Seminar for Policy, Professionals and Communities Research Group, 30 June 2016, Organized by School of Applied Social Sciences, Durham University. England (Invited Speaker).
- 2016, "Resettlement of elderly male ex-prisoners in Hong Kong", Guest Seminar, 23 June 2016, Organized by MRC/CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, University of Glasgow, Scotland (Invited Speaker).
- 2016, "The process of going straight: Narratives of male ex-prisoners in Hong Kong", Guest Seminar, School of Social Sciences, University of Hull, 11 May 2016. Organized by the University of Hull, England (Invited Speaker).
- 2016, "Voices of the incarcerated father: Struggling to live up to fatherhood", Research Afternoon: In the Field - International and Department Reports from Live Research Projects, 1 June 2016, Organized by Univeristy of Surrey, England (Invited Speaker).
- 2016, “Need satisfaction mechanism linking volunteer motivation and life satisfaction”, Volunteering and Well-being Symposium, 17 September 2016, Organized by the Baptist Oi Kwan Social Service [Keynote] .
- 2015, “A study on youth violence among youth-at-risk in Hong Kong”, 2nd International Conference on Social Sciences and Innovations, 10-11 August 2015, Organized by the IEDRC, Singapore [Keynote Speaker].
- 2015, “Identities of youth in Hong Kong: Values, Well-being and Views”, Subject Talk on Cosmopolitan Hong Kong, 5 December 2015, Organized by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department and Research Grant , Council, Hong Kong. [Invited Speaker].
- 2015, “Predictors of violence among youth-at-risk in Hong Kong”, International Symposium of Crime Problems and Crime Fighting Strategies, 20 November, 2015, Organized by the Department of Criminology, National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan [Invited Speaker].
- 2015, “Zero tolerance for youth dating violence”, Forum on “Empowering Youth to End Dating Violence, 27 November 2015, Organized by the Harmony House, Hong Kong. [Keynote Speaker].
- 2014, “Psychological well-being and mental health of young people in Macau”, Symposium on Well-being of Young People in Macau in 2014, 6 December, 2014, Organized by the Centro de Formação Juvenil Dom Bosco, Macau [Invited Speaker].
- 2013, "Life planning among young people in Hong Kong”, Subject Talk on Cosmopolitan Hong Kong, 19 October, 2013, Organized by the Leisure and Cultural Services Development, Hong Kong [Invited speaker].
- 2013, “NGOs and community engagement”, Link-age International Youth Conference, 22-27 July, 2013, Organized by the Chinese YMCA, Hong Kong [Invited speaker].
- 2012, “A study on well-being of children of the incarcerated and their caregivers”, International Conference on the Families of the Incarcerated, 13-14 September, 2012, Organized by the Chinese Red Heart As, Taiwan [Keynote speaker].
- 2012, “Global youth work”, Social Work Day: Pre-Conference, 3 March, 2012, Organized by Hong Kong Social Workers Association, Hong Kong [Invited speaker].
- 2012, What works with young offenders”, Youth Counselling: Dialogue, Practice and Passion, 6-8 December, 2012, Organized by the Department of Social Work and Social Administration, HKU, Hong Kong [Invited speaker].
- 2011, “Evidence-based practice in youth work”, Seminar on Best Practice on Evidence Based Practice in Dealing with Addictive Behaviours, March 30, 2011, Organized by The Hong Kong Council of Social Service, Hong Kong [Invited speaker].
- 2011, “Study on well-being of the children of the incarcerated and their caregivers”, International Conference on Crime Prevention and Offender Rehabilitation, 17-20 May, 2011, Organized by SRACP, Hong Kong [Invited speaker].
- 2011, Social bonds and use of probation”, 2011 Academic Conference of Criminal Problems and Preventive Strategies, 25 November, 2011, Organized by National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan [Keynote speaker].
- 2010, “Effective models of outreach youth work intervention”, Conference for the Transformation of At-risk Youths, November 9-11, 2010, Organized by the Children-At-Risk Empowerment Association (CARE), Singapore [Invited speaker].
- 2010, “Engaging youths to succeed in schools: The Hong Kong experience”, ASEAN 3 + Seminar on Urban Youth Work IV, March 2-5, 2010, Organized by Students Care Service and National Youth Council Singapore., Singapore [Keynote address].
- 2006 - Now, “Need satisfaction mechanism linking volunteer motivation and life satisfaction”, Volunteering and Well-being Symposium, 17 September 2016, Hong Kong.
- 2006, “Perception of law and order and police in Chinese migrant community in Queensland”, Symposium on Chinese Transmigrants: Internal and International Contexts, April 11, 2006, Organized by Uni. of Qld, Australia [Invited speaker].
- Interviewed by the Society of Offender Rehabilitation and Crime Prevention (November 2012)
- Interviewed by Youth HONG KONG Vol 7 No 2 (June 2015)
- Public lectures on Social Mobility and Youth Advancement in Hong Kong Society organized by the Research Grants Council (5 December 2015)
- 聯校教師校園法律責任講座, 香港基督教女青年會 (2016年1月20日)
- 護苗基金的「義工嘉許禮2015] (2016年2月28日)
- 「青少年生涯規劃及個人發展」研究 (2016年4月30日)
- 「F.O.C.U.S.青少年街頭暴力輔導計劃」公布成效研究結果 (2016年12月19日)
- 護苗基金的「義工嘉許禮2016] (2017年2月26日)
- Summer School, School of Sociology, Nanjing University, PRC, June-July 2017
- 上海未檢舉辦「域外少年司法制度」講座 (2017年6月26日)
- Can Hong Kong break its prison shackles to cut crime? (SCMP, 28 July 2017)
- A Study of Cost of Crime in Hong Kong (August 2017)
- Police reveal arrests of Hong Kong youth down 20 per cent (Young Post, SCMP, 30 November 2017)
- Community sentences for juvenile offenders, Criminal Justice Social Work Seminar, Organized by School of Sociology, China University of Political Science and Law, Beijing (9 November 2017)
- Interviewed by RTHK3 (Backchat) - Establishment of Children’s Commission (05 June 2018)
- Dementia, poverty or a cry for attention? Shoplifting cases among Hong Kong’s elderly on the rise (SCMP, 3 May 2018)
- 調查：退休人士常做義工身心健康狀態較理想 (2018年6月18日)
- Burnout and volunteers in Hong Kong, Symposium on Volunteering for a Better Society, The Baptist Oi Kwan Social Service (30 June 2018)
- Tuition mills rake in billions while children suffer (China Daily, 30 July 2018)
- 教育局「讓學生成為學習經歷設計者」學習研討會及海報分享日 (香港教師會李興貴中學, 2018年7月7日)
- 警隊與城大合辦「共創計劃」 (OffBeat, 2018年10月19日)
- 調查反映青年溝通模式轉變 將創設「網上職學達人」助生涯規劃 (Hang Seng Bank, 2018年11月22日)