- Micro/Nano/Bio Sensors
- MEMS/Nano-based Biotechnology
- Electrokinetics-based Cancer/Stem Cell Separation and Identification
- 1987, BS in Aerospace Engineering, Univ. of Southern Cal., USA
- 1989, MS in Aerospace Engineering, Univ. of Southern Cal., USA
- 1997, PhD in Aerospace Engineering, UCLA, USA
- 2011 – present, Dept. of Mechanical and Biomedical Eng., City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- 1997 – 2011, Dept. of Mechanical and Automation Eng., The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- 1995 – 1997, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, USA
- 1995 (Summer), Silicon Microstructures Inc., Fremont, California, USA
- 1987 – 1995, The Aerospace Corporation, El Segundo, California, USA
Other Academic Affiliations
- Affiliated Professor, Shenyang Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2006-present.
- Adjunct Professor, Suzhou University, 2013-present.
- Adjunct Professor, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2011-2014.
- Adjunct Professor, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Dept. of Health Technology and Informatics), Sept 2008 to June 2010.
- Guest Professor, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2009-present.
- Guest Professor, Peking University, 2008-present.
- Guest Professor, Beijing Institute of Technology, 2006 to 2008.
- President-Elect, IEEE Nanotechnology Council (2015; to serve as President in 2016 and 2017)
- IEEE NTC Distinguished Lecturer (2014/2015)
- 1000 Talents Awardee, Zhejiang Province (浙江省千人計劃), 2012
- 100 Talents Awardee (百人計劃; Distinguished Overseas Scholar), Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2004
- VP of IEEE Nanotechnology Council, elected in 2010 (to serve 2011-2013 term)
- General Chair, 2014 IEEE Int. Conf. on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems, Hawaii, USA
- General Chair, 2007 IEEE Conference on Nanotechnology, Hong Kong, HKSAR
- General Chair, 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, Hong Kong, HKSAR
- Vice-Chancellor’s Exemplary Teaching Award 2006, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Winner, Best Conference Video Award, 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE-ROBIO 2011), Phuket, Thailand.
- Winner, Best Student Paper, 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE-ROBIO 2007), Sanya, China.
- Winner, Best Conference Paper, 2007 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Mechatronics (IEEE/ASME AIM 2007), Zurich, Switzerland.
- Winner, Best Conference Paper, Finalist, Best Student Paper; Finalist, Ben Wegbreit Best Manipulation Paper; at the 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (IEEE-ICRA 2003), Taipei, Taiwan.
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Co-chair of Advisory Board, IEEE Nanotechnology Magazine, 2014-present.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Micro-Bio Robotics, Springer, USA/Germany, 2012-present.
- Member of Editorial Board, Micromachines, MDPI, Switzerland, an open access journal, 2011 to present.
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Nanotechnology Magazine, 2007-2013.