Dr. DAOUD Walid
PhD (Sheffield, UK), Dipl-Ing (TUG, Austria), GCHE (Monash, Australia), MIEAust (Australia)
- Associate Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Dr Daoud graduated from the University of Technology Graz, Austria, with a Dipl-Ing degree (BS and MS) in Chemical Engineering and received his PhD in flexible bilayer photovoltaic cells from the University of Sheffield, UK. In 2002, he joined the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, where he played a substantial role in the establishment of a Nanotechnology Center in 2003 and took up a lectureship in 2005. In 2007, he moved to Monash University as lecturer and was promoted to senior lecturer in 2010. He joined City University of Hong Kong in 2012 and served as Associate Dean for Research and Postgraduate Studies in 2018-2020.
Dr Daoud’s current research is mainly focused on energy harvesting and smart wearable technologies. His group is developing approaches for harvesting free or waste energy, such as light and kinetic energies. Being intermittent sources, it is equally important to find storage solutions for this form of energy. Therefore, the group is interested in the modelling and design of compatible energy storage batteries. Dr Daoud has received international renown and several awards for his pioneering work on wearable solar self-cleaning and kinetic energy harvesting technologies. His research has featured in Nature (2004) and Science (2008) and the international press, such as Reuters (2014), BBC (2015), SCMP (2017), Physics World (2021), and PV Magazine (2022). He has been invited to present Plenary and Keynote lectures at international conferences and is currently serving as Chief Editor of Wearable Electronics, Frontiers in Electronics and Advisory/Editorial Board member of the Journal of Power Sources Advances and Industrial Chemistry & Materials.
- Approaches for harvesting light and kinetic energies
- Hybrid nanogenerators for self-powered wearable electronics
- Flexible organic based photovoltaics
- Renewable energy compatible energy storage flow batteries
- Solar wearable self-cleaning nanotechnology
- Hu Y, Lin C, Daoud WA, Method for Synthesizing Lactide by Means of Catalysis of Lactic Acid, US Patent, US10392362, issued 27 August 2019.
- Daoud WA, Wang L, Liu F, Iamphaojeen Y, Functional Cashmere Fiber and Fabrication Method Thereof, PCT Patent, Application Number PCT/CN2019/089915, filed 4 June 2019.
- Xu Y, Daoud WA, Leung M, Method for Making Aerogel, US Patent, Application Number 16/007,003, filed 13 June 2018.
- Daoud WA, Leung SK, Tung WS, Xin JH, Wang X, Kong YY, Qi K, Formulation Coated Self-cleaning Wool, US Patent, US8679588, issued 25 March 2014.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Qi K, Method for Preparing an Article with Single-Phase Anatase Titanium Oxide, US Patent, US8309167, issued 13 Nov 2013.
- Daoud WA, Xin JH, Qi K, Method for Making Single-Phase Anatase Titanium Oxide, US Patent, US7255847, issued 14 Aug 2007.