Dr. TSE Wai Tat Peter (謝偉達)
B.Eng, M.Eng (U of Sask., Canada); Ph. D. (U. of Sussex, United Kingdom); C.Eng. (Engineering Council, United Kingdom), P. Eng. (APEGGA, Canada), FASME, FFISEAM, FBSOMES, FHKIUS
- Associate Professor, Department of Systems Engineering and Engineering Management
Ir Dr. Peter W. Tse is currently the Group Leader of the Smart Engineering Asset Management Laboratory (SEAM) and the Director of Croucher Optical Nondestructive Testing Laboratory in the Department of Systems Engineering and Engineering Management at the City University of Hong Kong (CityU). SEAM was established through generous donations from the industry of Hong Kong. The mission of SEAM is to provide support to industry for achieving near-zero breakdown of equipment and maintaining high quality services through the smart management of assets. As of today, SEAM has research collaboration/consultancy projects with over 30 international and local companies. Dr. Tse is the O-Committee Member of the Technical Committees of Non-Destructive Testing (TC 199), Safety of Machinery (TC 135) and Mechanical Vibration and Shock (TC 108) of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Currently he is a registered Professional Engineer in Canada, a Chartered Engineer in United Kingdom. He has been awarded the PCN (Personnel Certification in Non-Destructive Testing) Certificate of Competence in Condition Monitoring from the British Institute in Non-Destructive Testing (BINDT) and completed the Vibration Training Course - Vibration Analysis Level 2 in according with ISO 18436 Part 2. As of today, he has published over 250 articles in various international journals, proceedings, and professional reports.
My conference paper has won best paper award. Some of those published in SCI-ranked journals have won most downloaded and cited paper awards. As of August 2011, I had secured around HK$ 45 million (around US$5.8 million) in research grants, industry sponsorship and consultancy, generated around 250 research-related articles, provided knowledge transfers and licensing arrangements to 9 companies, and obtained 7 different kinds of awards. My research outcomes have been adopted by over 30 local and overseas companies, including the world largest oil sand exploration and production company, the Syncrude Canada Ltd. I have been recognized as a world-renowned expert in equipment fault diagnosis, signal processing, sensory design and engineering asset management.
Because of the high caliber of my foundation and applied researches, I have been invited by numerous conferences and professional organizations to be the Closing Keynote Speaker, Distinguished Speaker or Keynote Speaker. A number of them have provided honorariums/travelling expenses. I have also served as a conference co-organizer, international steering committee, scientific advisory committee and editorial committee member, and as chairman of a structured session for many local and international conferences. Moreover, SEAM® has enjoyed international recognition since forming the first global consortium on fault diagnosis and prognosis, which is linked with five renowned international research centers: in the USA, Canada, China and Australia (two centers). My research on signal processing, fault diagnosis and non-destructive testing has created impacts on research community and industry by prompting them to change their usual codes of practice in equipment maintenance and engineering asset management.
RESEARCH GRANTS OBTAINED (as of August 2011, in HK$)
- Received research grants from the General Research Fund, National Science Foundation Council of China and the Research Grant Council of Hong Kong SAR Government.
- As the Principal Investigator, the total fund obtained is over $17,000,000.
- Consultancy and external donations etc. is over $5,300,000.
- As the Co-Investigator, the total fund obtained is over $22,000,000.
- A total of around $45,000,000.
INDUSTRIAL DONATIONS AND SPONSORSHIPS RECEIVED (in HK$)
Under my management, today the Smart Engineering Asset Management Laboratory (SEAM®) and the Croucher Optical Nondestructive Testing (CNDT) Laboratory have received donations, sponsorship and consultancy income from various industries. A total of around $5,300,000 has been acquired from various industries to support the research works and industrial activities organized by SEAM® and CNDT.
- Fellow, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Leader, the Smart Engineering Asset Management Laboratory (SEAM®)
- Director, the Croucher Foundation - Optical Nondestructive Testing Laboratory (CNDT)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China
- Founding Fellow, the International Society of Engineering Asset Management
- Fellow, the Building Services Operation and Maintenance Executives Society
- Fellow, the Hong Kong Institute of Utility Surveyors (HKIUS)
- Fellow, the Community & Construction Professionals’ Development Centre
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council, United Kingdom (C. Eng.)
- Professional Engineer (by examinations) in Canada (P. Eng.)
- Chartered Electrical Engineer, Institute of Electrical Engineer, United Kingdom (C. Eng. in Electrical Engineer)
- ISO O-Member in Technical Committees of TC108, 135 & 199
- Member of the Hong Kong Institute of Engineer (M, HKIE, Hong Kong SAR)
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineer (M, IEEE, USA)
- Committee Member - Rotordynamics of the Chinese Society for Vibration Engineering, China
- Committee Chair, Professional Service Development Assistant Scheme (PSDAS) of the HKIUS
- Former Adjunct Professor, Beijing University of Technology
- Former Guest Professor, Wuhan University of Technology
- Winner of the Mansour Best Paper Award, World Automation Congress (WAC ’96).
- Merit Award of HKIE Student Project Competition 1997, Home Intelligent Security & Surveillance System.
- Asia-Pacific Competition to represent the Asia-Pacific region in the FIRA 4th Robot Soccer World Cup, 1999.
- Awarded the Most Read and Most Cited Papers in 2006 (with 632 Science Direct downloads from Jan. to Dec. 2006), Elsevier Publisher, in SCI rated Journal of Sound and Vibration.
- First of the Top 25 Articles Read in 2005, Elsevier Publisher, in SCI rated journal of Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing.
- The second Most Downloaded Paper as of Sept 2009 in Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, July 2009.
Services outside CityU
- O-Committee Member, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Technical Committee Member - TC135: Non-Destructive Testing. Representing the Hong Kong SAR Government.
- O-Committee Member, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Technical Committee Member - TC199: Safety of Machinery. Representing the Hong Kong SAR Government.
- O-Committee Member, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Technical Committee Member - TC108 Mechanical Vibration and Shock. Representing the Hong Kong SAR Government.
- Sub-Committee Member, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Technical Committee - TC 108 SC 5: Condition Monitoring and Diagnostics of Machines. Representing the Hong Kong SAR Government.
- Committee Chair – PCS, Professional Service Development Assistant Scheme (PSDAS), Hong Kong Institute of Utility Specialists (HKIUS).
- Executive Committee Member, Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Division, the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
- Committee Member of the Training Review Sub-Committee – Group III, Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
- The Honorable Executive Committee Member of the Society for Promotion of Mechatronics.
- Federation of International Robot-soccer Association (FIRA) SFU, Local Chapter Representative (Hong Kong).
- Former Executive Committee Member of Asian Institute of Intelligent Buildings (AIIB).
- Former Committee Member in the Continuing Professional Development Committee (CPDC), the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
- Former Member of the Customer Liaison Group (2007-09) for the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) of the Hong Kong SAR Government (CLG 2007/09).
- Former Secretary and the Executive Committee Member. The Building Services Operation and Maintenance Executive Society (BSOMES).
- Former Task Force Member. The Task Force of Innovation and Technology Committee of the Hong Kong Institute of Engineers (HKIE).
- Former Advisor, Design and Technology – Simplify, Intensify & Realise (SiR), Kwun Tong Kung Lok Government Secondary School.
- Former Vice-chairman, Education Committee, the ASME - Hong Kong Section.
- Former Secretary, Public Affairs and Liaison Committee, the ASME - Hong Kong Section.
- “Saving Lives with Innovative Sensors”, CityU Today, No. 36, May. 2011, p.18 to 21.
- Hong Kong Television Broadcasting Ltd. (TVB) News, Feb. 12, 2011,Saturday, all news reporting in the evening and night time of Feb. 12.
- “新技術檢查鋼纜路軌防裂紋”，蘋果日報, Apple Daily, 14 Feb 2011, page A25.
- “首研發超聲導播檢查器一秒內驗200米鋼纜裂紋”，太陽報, The Sun, 14 Feb 2011, page A8.
- “城大新型智能檢測器電磁波驗升降機鋼纜”，頭條日報, Headline Daily, 14 Feb 2011, page A30.
- “超聲導播驗鋼纜一秒搞掂”，東方日報, Oriental Daily News, 14 Feb 2011, page A24.
- “城大柔性磁線圈一秒驗鋼纜裂紋”，文匯報, Hong Kong Wen Wei Po, 14 Feb, 2011. Page A25.
- “城大檢測器一秒測鋼纜裂紋”，經濟日報, Hong Kong Economic Times, 14 Feb, 2011. Page A26.
- “目視聽聲難揭城市危機，智能檢測防範未然”，信報, Hong Kong Economic Journal, 14 Feb, 2011. Page A2.
- “城大創1秒驗纜，1毫米裂縫現行”，明報, Ming Pao Daily News, 14 Feb, 2011. Page A7.
- “避免升降機斷纜急墜事故，城大檢測術一秒知電纜好壞” 大公報, Ta Kung Pao, 14 Feb, 2011. Page A7.
- “不出一秒裂紋無所遁形，學者創強效纜索檢測技術” 星島日報, Sing Tao Daily, 14 Feb, 2011. Page F2.
- “城大研發磁波1秒檢測纜索” 香港商報, Hong Kong Commercial Daily, 14 Feb, 2011. Page A17.
- “HK team designs sensor to detect steel rope faults”, South China Morning Post, 14 Feb 2011 ，Page C2.
- “A Novel Design of A Frequency Converter for Harvesting Wasted Vibration from Operating Machines”, Hong Kong Engineer, the Journal of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Vol. 38(12), Dec. 2010, p.33.
- “Diagnostic technology scholar elected Fellow of prestigious engineering body”, CityU Today, No. 34, Oct. 2010, p.6.
- “Achievements & awards / Diagnostic technology scholar elected Fellow of prestigious engineering body”, CityU NewsCenter, Web news, August 19, 2010.
- “Press conference on energy technology”, Hong Kong Engineer, the Journal of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Vol. 38(2), Feb. 2010, p.27.
- “一部小型儀器 能量轉化電力”, (A Novel Design for Harvesting Waste and Destructive Energy from Operating Machines and Converting them to Electricity), 蘋果日報, Apple Daily, Dec. 10, 2009, p. A12.
- “Oil Sands Company Funds Pump Monitoring Project”, Graduate Studies & Research Newsletter, Vol. 36, March 2009, p.9.
- “Pump Monitoring System Developed for World’s Largest Oil Sand Company”, CityU News Center (on-line publication), Oct. 29, 2008 (in English and Chinese).
- “Eight Researchers Win Applied Research Grants”, Graduate Studies & Research Newsletter, City University of Hong Kong, Vol. 35, Oct. 2008, p. 7.
- “Equipment Health Monitoring and Engineering Asset Management”, Applied Research at City University, Technology Transfer Office, City University of Hong Kong, pp.48-49, Jan. 2008.
- “CityU Introduces New Technology to Check Cracks in Pipes”, under the category of ‘Staff Honours & Inventions’ of City University of Hong Kong Achievement Journal 2006” Publisher: Communication Office, City University of Hong Kong, p.44, 2007.
- “新技術偵測喉管裂痕”，蘋果日報, Apple Daily, 5 Oct 2006, page A17.
- “城大引入導波技術測地下喉管裂紋”，東方日報, Oriental Daily, 5 Oct 2006, page A7.
- “偵測煤氣管裂紋新法省事環保”，星島日報, SingTao Daily, 5 Oct 2006, page A10.
- “『微創』感應新法：地下喉管測漏”，文匯報, Wen Wei Po, 5 Oct 2006, page A12.
- “新工程技術助預防意外”，大公報, Takungpao, 5 Oct 2006, page A6.
- “城大技術可早發現地下喉管滲漏”，都市日報, Metro Daily, 5 Oct 2006, page 4.
- “用超聲波測地下喉管”，香港商報, HKCD, 5 Oct 2006, page B1.
- “城大新發明測煤氣供水”，成報, Sing Pao, 5 Oct 2006, page A9.
- 香港經濟日報, HKET, 5 Oct. 2006, page A31.
- Website: Kui57’s 資訊中心 - 香港新聞記錄, 5 Oct. 2006.
- 有線電視財經資訊台，第八台, TV Interview, Cable TV Channel 8 - Finance & News, Oct. 16, 2006, Monday 7, 9, and 11 p.m.
- “Machine Maintenance and Equipment Health Monitoring”, Applied Research at City University, p.20, 2006.
- “Industrial Technology Research Group (ITRG) - Smart Engineering Asset Management Laboratory”, MEEM Research Update, issue 1, March 2006.
- Smart Engineering Asset Management and Maintenance Management
- Equipment health monitoring, fault diagnosis and prognosis
- Non-destructive testing and evaluation
- Remote and wireless maintenance systems
- Failure analyses and quality inspection
- Generators and automobiles health monitoring
- Innovative energy harvesting devices and sensory design