Tommy W S Chow is a Professor of the Department of Electronic Engineering at the City University of Hong Kong. Chow was born in Hong Kong and was educated in the U.K.. He received an IEE U.K. undergraduate scholarship in 1983, and was awarded a first class Honours degree in 1984 at the University of Sunderland, U.K.. He also worked for NEI Reyrolle Technology at Hebburn, England developing digital simulator for transient network analyser. He then worked on a research project involving high current density current collection system for superconducting direct current machines. The research project was carried out in collaboration with the Ministry of Defense (Navy) at Bath, England and the International Research and Development at Newcastle upon Tyne. He received his Ph.D. degree in 1988 and returned Hong Kong to join the Electronic Engineering Department of the university.
Since he began his academic career with the Department, he has constantly carried out active research work. His research interests are in the area of Machine learning including Supervised and unsupervised learning, Data mining, Pattern recognition and fault diagnostic. His early research interests focused on developing training algorithms and weight initialization methods for supervised neural networks. He has also applied his developed supervised learning algorithms on many engineering and physical science problems such as documents processing, control, signal processing, pattern recognition, and fault diagnostic. More recently, he works on high dimensional feature selection, data reduction, data visualization, and clustering.
Until now, he has published over 170 referred papers in international journals, 5 book chapters, and over 70 technical papers in international conference proceedings. He has also published a monograph book on Neural Networks. He received the Best paper award in the 2002 IEEE Industrial Electronics Society Annual meeting at Seville, Spain. He has successfully supervised over 18 Ph.D students. Apart from these research activities, he has been very active in professional services. He has been a regular technical reviewer for many renowned international journals, member of different international conference organizing committees. He has delivered talks, invited papers, and seminars in different universities and conferences. In practical engineering work, Chow has performed active consultancy and collaboration projects with CEPREI(China Electronic Product Reliability and Environmental Testing Research Institute), the Rolling Stock Department and Building Services Department of the KCRC, Hong Kong Electric, Hong Kong Royal Observatory, and Hong Kong MTRC. In professional activities, he has been an active Committee Member of the HKIE (Hong Kong Institution of Engineers) Control Automation and Instrumentation (CAI) division since 1992, and was the Division Chairman (1997-98) for the HKIE CAI division. He was also responsible for a 10 (half-hour) episodes radio broadcasting program on Information Technology Networks with the Radio Television Hong Kong. He was appointed by the Hong Kong SAR Government and has served as committee member of the Hong Kong Occupational Safety and Health Council for 6 years.
- Neural Networks
- Computational Intelligent
- Machine learning
- Pattern Recognition
- Fault Detection and Diagnosis
US 9363626 B2 (Determining faulty nodes within a wireless sensor network)
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics
- Guest Editor Neural Computing & Applications: Special Issue on ``The Emerging Applications of Neural Networks'' 2010
- Guest Editor IEEE Access: Special Issue on ``Trends and Advances for Ambient Intelligence with IOT systems''
- Associate Editor Neural Processing Letters
Best Paper Award
1. D Huang, Tommy W.S. Chow and W N Chau, Neural Network based system for counting people, 2002 28th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, November 2002, Sevilla Spain. (Presented by Chow)
2. Yang Xu, Tommy W.S. Chow, Efficient Self-Organizing map Learning Scheme Using Data Reduction Preprocessing, 2010 International Conference of Data Mining and Knowledge Engineering, London June 2010. (Best Student paper Award: Presented by Xu)
Third Price, Shanghai City Science & Technology Award, 2009.
- Visiting professor (with Technical Talk), North Caroline State University, USA, 2016.
- Visiting professor, Melbourne University, Australia, 2016.
- Visiting professor (with Technical Talk), University of British Columbia, Vancouver Canada, 2014.
- Visiting professor (with Technical Talk), Waseda University, Japan, 2013.
- Visiting professor (with Technical Talk), University of Washington, Seattle, USA, 2012.
- Visiting professor (with Technical Talk), The University of Maryland, College Park, USA, 2010.
- International Program committee member, Int Conference on Prognostics and System Health Management, July 2012, Beijing.
- International Program committee member, Int Conference on Prognostics and System Health Management, 2010, Macau.
- International Program committee member, ICONIPS, 2009 Bangkok.
- International Program committee member, ICIC, 2009 Ulsan South Korea.
- International Program committee member, ICIC, 2008 China.
- International Program committee member, 2007 International Symposium on NeuralNetworks, June, Nanjing, China.
- International Program committee member, ICIC, 2006 China.
- International Program committee member, The Third IASTED International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Banff Canada. July 2007
- Track Chair on Neural Network, International conference on communications, circuits, and systems (ICCCAS07), Fukuoka, Japan, July 11-13 2007.
- International Program committee member, International Conference on Intelligent Computing: ICIC 2007, Qingdao, China, August 21-24 2007.
- Organizing Committee member, CAAST' 1998 on Automation Science & Technology China Automation Academics (CAA), Hong Kong.
- Organizing Chairman, CAI Symposium' 1996 on Application and Development of Automation and Control Technologies, HKIE Hong Kong.
- Treasurer, 1994 IFAC International workshop on Safety Reliability & Applications of Emerging Intelligent Control Technologies, IFAC, Hong Kong.
- Secretary, The 3rd IEE International Symposium on Consumer Electronics, IEE, 1994 Hong Kong.
- F. Gou (1995)
- Hong-Zhou Tan (1998), Sun Yat-Sen University, China
- Jim Y. F. Yam (1998), Gold Peak International, Hong Kong
- Chi Tat Leung (1998)
- S. Y. Cho (1999), The University of Nottingham, Ningbo
- Y. Fang (1999), Shanghai University, China
- Sitao Wu (2004), University of California, San Diego, USA
- W. M. Ma (2005), Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Di Huang (2005), National Institute of Health (NIH), USA
- M. M. Rahman (2007), United International University, Bangladesh
- Zhaohui Gan (2008), Wuhan University of Science and Technology, China
- Piyang Wang (2008), PCCW Limited, Hong Kong
- Haijun Zhang (2010), Harbin Institute of Technology Shenzhen Graduate School, China
- Lu Xu (2010)
- Wei Huang (2010), Zhejiang University of Technology, China
- Zhou Wu (2013), University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Zhao Zhang (2013), Soochow University, Suzhou, China
- Mingbo Zhao (2013), Donghua University, Shanghai, China
- Xiaohang Jin (2014), Zhejiang University of Technology, China
- Bing Li (2014)
- Peng Tang (2014), Big Data R&D, Hong Kong
Current Ph.D Advisees
- Wenlong Cheng
- Jicong Fan
- Jianghong Ma
- Hadrien VAN LIERDE