Dr. Siu Ming CHAN worked as a frontline social worker in community settings for eight years before embarking on his academic journey. He served the underprivileged, including homeless people, low-income families living in cubicles and subdivided flats, poor children, and the elderly, through direct service, group work, and community organizing. He also conducted policy research and surveys related to vulnerable groups facing poverty, housing problems, and other community issues.
He started part-time teaching social work courses in the Chinese University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong College of Technology since 2014. The teaching courses included social policy, community work, philosophy of social work, social research, and social welfare. After obtained his Ph.D. in Social Welfare from the CUHK in 2020, he worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the Institute of Health Equity in CUHK. He joined the Department of Social and Behavioural Sciences at the City University of Hong Kong in 2021.
His principal areas of research interest include poverty, housing, social welfare, social work, and mental health. His vision is to enhance the well-being of vulnerable and disadvantaged groups. He aims to explore new initiatives and extend intervention strategies by analyzing social problems and human behavior by means of evidence-based and theory-informed academic research.
- Poverty and Inequality
- Social work
- Social welfare and social policy
- Social determinants of health
- Urban Graduation Approach to Uplift Poor Households out of Poverty (Trust-Initiated Project). PI. The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust (2023 – 2028).
- Engaging the disadvantaged groups and addressing community issues with Artificial Intelligence. PI. UGC: Teaching Development and Language Enhancement Grant (2023 - 2024).
- KeySteps@JC (Trust-Initiated Project). Co-PI. The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust (2022 – 2027).
- Programme Evaluation & Capacity Building of the 21st Century Integrated Children and Youth Services Centres (ICYSCs) (Trust-Initiated Project). Co-I. The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust (2022 – 2026).
- Enhancement of the Housing and Poverty Situation of the Grassroots. PI. City University of Hong Kong (2022 – 2023).
- Investigation of the links between Poverty, Housing and Health. PI. City University Strategic Research Grant (2022 – 2023).
- The Effectiveness of Experiential Learning Supported by a University in Enhancing Interest and Knowledge of Engineering and Improving STEM Education. Co-PI. City University of Hong Kong, Research Matching Grant Scheme (RMGS) (2022 – 2023).
- Trajectories of healthy life expectancy by sex and districts in Hong Kong: A population-based retrospective cohort study. Co-I. Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) (2022 – 2023).
- Hong Kong Homeless Census Project 2021. Co-PI. (2021 – 2022).
- Social Impact Assessment regarding ‘Incubating Efficacy in Community for Decent Livelihood through Modular Social Housing Project in Nam Cheong Street’. Co-PI. Hong Kong Council of Social Service (2020 – 2022).
- Health & Social Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Young People across the Socioeconomic Ladder: A Cross-Country Comparative Study. Co-I. Worldwide Universities Network Research Development Fund (2020 – 2022).
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Editorial board member of Journal of Social Distress and Homelessness
- Editorial board member of Social Sciences and Humanities Open
- Editorial board member of Discover Global Society
- Peer Review Panel member of Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development
- Journal reviewer for Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development, Applied Research in Quality of Life, Children and Youth Services Review, Health & Social Care in the Community, Hong Kong Journal of Social Work, Housing Studies, Humanities and Social Sciences Communications, Journal of Asian Public Policy, Journal of Housing and Built Environment, Journal of Public Health, PLOS ONE, Social Indicators Research, and Social Policy & Society
Services in CityU
- College Board Member, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, City University of Hong Kong (2022 – 2024)
- Associate programme leader of BSocSc Social Work, City University of Hong Kong (2022 – 2024)
- Year coordinator of BSocSc Social Work, City University of Hong Kong (2022 – 2024)
- Admission Tutor of BDSS programme (2022-24)
- Member of BSocSc Social Work admission panel, City University of Hong Kong (2022 – 2024)
Services outside CityU
- Member of Task Force on research and advocacy agenda (health and housing of the grassroots), The Hong Kong Council of Social Service (2021 – 2024)
- Member of the Community Development Network, The Hong Kong Council of Social Service (2021 – 2024)
- Judge of the Global Undergraduate Awards (2022 – 2024)
- Research consultant for the Chinese YMCA of Hong Kong Lam Tin Centre (2021)
- Research consultant for the St. James Settlement Community Development Service (2022 – 2023)