Prof. TJONG Sie Chin (張世振)
MSc PhD University of Manchester, UK
BSc National Taiwan University, Taiwan
Professor Tjong specializes in corrosion, surface engineering, metal-matrix composites (MMCs) and polymeric materials. His research interests cover the areas of passivation of metals, microstructural development of MMCs, phase characterization and mechanical properties of MMCs, processing and structural characterization of polymer nanocomposites.
In recent years, his research areas involve the synthesis, development and structure-property relationships of polymer nanocomposites reinforced with clay silicates, hydroxyapatite (HA) nanoparticles, graphene, carbon nanofibers and carbon nanotubes. One particular focus is on the biocompatibility of thermoplastics reinforced with HA platelets, graphene and carbon nanotubes designed for biomedical engineering applications. Other areas of interest are the dielectric and conducting behavior of advanced polymer nanocomposites with functional properties for electronic devices and fuel cell applications.
- Surface Science
- Electron microscopy
- Polymer Composites
- Nanostructured materials
- Member, European Academy of Sciences
- Chartered Engineer, U.K.
- Chartered Scientist, U.K.
- Fellow, The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, U.K.
- Fellow, The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Member of Editorial board, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Wiley.
- Member of Editorial board, Materials Chemistry and Physics, Elsevier.
- Member of Editorial board, Materials Science & Engineering A : Structural Materials, Elsevier.
- Member of Advisory board, Express Polymer Letters.
- Editor, Open Physics, De Gruyter.