Prof. HO Samuel M.Y. (何敏賢)
BSocSci (HKU), MSocSci (Clinical Psychology) (HKU), PhD (Melbourne University)
FHKPS, RCP (HKPS), RegPsy (Australia)
I am a clinical psychologist and professor of psychology at the City University of Hong Kong. My primary research interest is in traumatology and resilience, in developing an in-depth knowledge about the factors that facilitate adjustments to life-threatening illnesses (e.g. cancer) and traumatic events (e.g. infectious disease epidemic). As a registered clinical psychologist and a researcher, I have benefits of conducting basic research to help understanding of applied problems as well as taking applied issues for explorations in empirical research. As a clinician, I have developed numerous therapy manuals related to my clinical interest. Examples include a grief therapy manual for bereaved adults after the SiChuan earthquake; intervention manuals to facilitate resilience for mother of children suffering from cerebral palsy, people receiving genetic colon cancer screening, and people recovered from psychiatric illnesses. I am serving as an advisor of Government departments and NGOs on both research and clinical practice, and I have been collaborating actively with my community partners to develop resilient and recovery programs for a variety of people with special needs. I have been conducting invited training workshops and presentations regularly in Hong Kong, China, Europe, and North America to share my research findings and clinical expertise.
- Traumatology, Resilience, Mental Health Issues in particular depression and anxiety; Psycho-oncology, Grief and Bereavement
- 2014 “Visiting Professor” University of Bolton, United Kingdom.
- 2013 “Honorary Professor” Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong.
- 2012 “Visiting Scholar” University of International Relations, Beijing, China.
- 2009 “Visiting Scholar” National University of Singapore, Singapore.
Services outside CityU
- Nov 2019 - Oct 2020, Member, Humanities and Social Sciences Panel, Research Grant Council (RGC), HKSAR
- Jan 2017 - Dec 2019, Editor, Taiwan Association of Clinical Psychology Archives of Clinical Psychology (台灣臨床心理學會 - 臨床心理學刊).
- Jan 2014 - Now, Academic Editor, PLoS One (SCI Journal, Impact Factor = 3.73).
- Jan 2014 - Now, Associate Editor, Asian Journal of Social Psychology (SSCI journal).
- Apr 2013 - Now, Founding Member, Hong Kong Society of Behavioral Health.Hong Kong.
- Sep 2013 - Nov 2013, Judge/102th Outstanding Research Award, National Science Council, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences.Taiwan.
- Sep 2013 - Nov 2013, Panel member/Committee on Accreditation of BSc (Hons) in Psychology jointly offered by the Open University of Hong Kong and University of Salford, The Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ).Hong Kong.
- 2013 - 2014, Co-Chair, Scientific Committee of the 2014 annual conference of the Association for Death Education and Counseling, Association for Death Education and Counseling.USA.
- 2013 - 2014, Co-Chair/Organising committee of the 2014 Asia-Pacific Applied Positive Psychology Conference.Hong Kong.
- 2013 - 2014, Hong Kong Advisory Board Member/the 8th International Congress of Cognitive Psychotherapy (ICCP 2014) , International Association for Cognitive Psychotherapy.USA.
- 2012 - Now, Panel member/Application for Psychosocial Research Fund, Children's Cancer Foundation.Hong Kong.
- 2005, Fellow, Positive Psychology Templeton Fellows Program, Positive Psychology Center, University of Pennsylvania.Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- 2003 - 2005, Selection Committee Member/the Seventh Martin E.P. Seligman Award for Outstanding Dissertation Research in Positive Psychology , John Templeton Foundation.USA.
- Nov 2013 - Now, Specialist, The Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications .Hong Kong.
- 2009 - Now, Advisor of Positive Psychology, New Life Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association.Hong Kong.
- 2009 - Now, Honorary Advisor/Women Offender Working Group of Psychological Services Section 1, Correctional Services Department.Hong Kong.
- 29 Aug 2015 - 30 Aug 2015, Invited Trainer on Pain Management for Cancer Patients, Taiwan Psycho-Oncology Society .Taiwan.
- 4 Jul 2015 - Now, Invited Trainer on Positive Psychology, Hong Kong Academy for Gifted Education.Hong Kong.
- 22 Aug 2014 - 23 Aug 2014, Invited Trainer on Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Cancer Patients, Taiwan Psycho-Oncology Society .Taiwan.
- 18 Apr 2014 - 19 Apr 2014, Invited Trainer on Positive Psychological Intervention, Sichuan Province Psychological Consultant Association (四川省心理諮詢師協會).China.
- 3 Apr 2014, Invited Trainer on Hope Theory and Its Application with Hope Stories, Kwai Chung Hospital.Hong Kong.
- 1 Nov 2013, Invited Talk on "Happiness in Workplace and Management Trends", Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, HKSAR Government.Hong Kong.
- 28 Sep 2013, Expert Speaker/An invited presentation entitled "The Application of Positive Psychology to Support Parents with Children of Special Needs", Heep Hong Society.Hong Kong.
- 26 Sep 2013, Invited training seminar/Positive Psychology & Building Resilience , Civil Service Branch, HKSAR Government.Hong Kong.
- 11 Jul 2013 - 12 Jul 2013, Invited Workshop/Enhancement of Resilience for Cancer Patients and Oncology Staff , Taiwan Psycho-oncology Society.Taipei, Taiwan.
Services in CityU
- 1 Jan 2020 - 1 July 2022, Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- 1 Sep 2015 - 31 Aug 2017, Research Committee, Member.
- 1 Sep 2013 - 31 Aug 2016, Departmental Performance Assessment Committee, Member.
- 1 Feb 2013 - 30 Jun 2017, Animal Research Ethics Sub-Committee, Member.
- Jun 2012 - Now, CLASS Knowledge Transfer Committee, Chair.
Research / Thesis Supervision
- Jun 2013 - Now, Research area: Virtues and Character Strenghts in Chinese, Degree of Doctor of Philosophy: Duan Wenjie.
- 2011 - Now, UG (Psychology), Abnormal Psychology.
- 2011 - Now, UG (Psychology), Introduction to Clinical Psychology.
- 2011 - Now, Master in Applied Psychology, Psychopathology.