Dr LIU Qiao is Professor at CityU School of Law. His previous posts include Associate Professor at the TC Beirne School of Law, University of Queensland (Australia); Lee Ka Shing Visiting Professor at McGill University Faculty of Law; and specially appointed Tengfei Adjunct Professor at Xi’an Jiaotong University School of Law (China). Professor Liu is Honorary Professor at the TC Beirne School of Law, University of Queensland (Australia) and holds a Visiting Professorship at Xiamen University School of Law (China).
Professor Liu teaches in and researches a wide range of business-related common law and Chinese law topics including contract, commercial law, unjust enrichment, international commercial law (sale of goods, transfer of funds etc) and financial transactions, with a particular interest in comparative study of Chinese and Anglo-Australian private law. He has published widely in the above areas. His articles have appeared in leading journals including the Modern Law Review, American Journal of Comparative Law and the Cambridge Law Journal. His book entitled “Anticipatory Breach” (Hart Publishing Oxford 2011) is regarded by epic common law courts and top scholars as a leading monograph on an important topic of English contract law. He also co-authored a contract textbook with Professor Ewan McKendrick of the University of Oxford (Contract Law Australian Edition, Palgrave Macmillan 2015) and translated Peter Birks’ seminal book “Unjust Enrichment” (2nd edn OUP 2005) into Chinese (Tsinghua University Press 2012). Professor Liu’s works have been cited by epic common law courts including the High Court of Australia, the Singapore Court of Appeal and the New Zealand Court of Appeal as well as by the English High Court and the House of Lords.
Professor Liu has been Founding Deputy Editor-in-Chief for the Chinese Journal of Comparative Law (OUP) since 2013 and has served as its Editor-in-Chief since late 2017. He is presently Joint Editor-in-Chief of the Journal. He is also Foreign-related Commercial and Maritime Adjudication Expert at the Supreme People’s Court in Beijing, a United Nations Commission on International Trade Law expert for updating the UNCITRAL Digest of Case Law on the CISG and currently a contributor to Chitty on Contracts: Hong Kong. Professor Liu has won highly prestigious and fiercely competitive grants in Australia, China and elsewhere, including the General Research Fund (Hong Kong) in 2021, the Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award fellowship (as the only awardee in the discipline of law) in 2015 and the Chinese State Social Science Fund Project in 2011. He has served as expert witness in law courts in Australia, Singapore and Greater China in a number of international commercial cases and is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and a listed arbitrator with the South China International Arbitration Centre (Hong Kong).
- 2018 An Zi Jie Prize (the most prestigious International Trade Academic Prize in China) for Excellent Article (安子介优秀论文奖)
- 2015 ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) (ID: DE150100425)
- 2014 University of Queensland Foundation Research Excellence Award (Ref: 2014000536)
- 2013 Chinese Government Ministry of Education “New Century Talents” Award (教育部新世纪优秀人才)
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Joint Editor-in-Chief, The Chinese Journal of Comparative Law (Oxford University Press), present
- Editor-in-Chief, The Chinese Journal of Comparative Law (Oxford University Press), 2017–2019
- Founding Deputy Editor-in-Chief, The Chinese Journal of Comparative Law (Oxford University Press), 2013–2017
- Associate Editor, Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal, 2002–2003