Dr. FONG Ming Lun Alan (方銘麟)
Ir Dr. Alan Fong obtained his bachelor's (1996) & master's degree (2004) in Hong Kong Polytechnic University and his Ph.D. (2015) in De Montfort University, Leicester, UK. Before he joined City University of Hong Kong in August 2007, he had over fifteen years of practical experience in the consultancy and contracting industry. He is an expert in system design and project management of building services systems installation involving institutional, infrastructural projects, hotel, industrial, offices, commercial, and residential development in Hong Kong, Macau, and Mainland China.
His mission is to broaden students’ interest and horizons on aspects of the built environment, energy, and fire engineering through his academic knowledge, intensive design practical experience, management, and real-life industrial worldwide practices related to built environment engineering.
- BEng (1996) in Building Services Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- MSc (2004) in Construction and Real Estate Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- PhD (2015) in De Montfort University, Leicester, UK
- MCIBSE CEng (1999) (Member of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers)
- MHKIE (Member of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers in Building Services (2000), Fire (2006), Energy (2014) Disciplines)
- MASHRAE (2001) (Member of American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers)
- RPE (2001) Registered Professional Engineer (Building Services Discipline)
Life cycle cost analysis, building energy efficiency, thermal comfort, air distribution strategy.
Education Grants (internal)
- Development of a discovery-enriched teaching and learning system for engineering students of energy audit by in-class and out-class learning activities, Project number: 6000367, Teaching Development Grant, Feb 2012 to Jan 2013, Principal investigator.
- Environmental sustainability "Headcount Index for CityU's air-conditioned area for engineering students in project studio 2, Project number: 6986002, Campus Sustainability Fund, Communities of Practice, Sept 2011 to Sept 2012, Principal investigator.
Research Grants (internal)
- Full-scale experimental investigation on comparison of the mixing and localized ventilation systems, BST Divisional Research Grant (DRG) for small-scale projects, Feb 2009 to Apr 2010, Principal Investigator.
- BST20542 Course Teaching Material Development to upgrade the BST2054 Fire Services course material and develop new teaching and learning activities and assessment task for implementation in the OBTL approach. Dec 2007 to Jun 2008, Principal Investigator.
Other Grants (internal)
- Real-time mobile App to discover Energy Management Opportunity, DEC Mobile App Development Grant, Mar 2013 to Mar 2014, Principal investigator.
As supervisor of a Graduate- Mr. Lai Chun Tak (2011 cohort) won the first prize (Tertiary Institution Category) in the Samsung Smart Education competition named "Samsung Solve for Tomorrow" contest on May 2014 by designing new energy-saving ventilation and air conditioning system and awarded a total HK$350,000 of cash and Samsung's product.
Force task group to develop Best Practices for Operation and Maintenance Services of Fire Service Installations, Electrical and Mechanical Department since Sept 2021
Services outside CityU
- Contract Research (HK$1,015,000) on "Study and Installation of Condensing Water System of Immersion Cooling System," Project no. 9211185, employed by Electrical and Mechanical Department, Oct 2019 to Dec 2020, Principal Investigator.
- Contract Research (HK$1,399,000) on "Study on Immersion Cooling System for Data Centre" Project no: 9211180, employed by EMSD, Apr 2019 to Jun 2021, Co-Investigator.
Services outside CityU
Consultancy work (HK$800,000) on "Study of Performance of Plate-tube Chiller," employed by the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD), Outside Practice (Case no. NP0225844-02) from Sept 2020 to Nov 2022. Team member worked with the School of Energy and Environment, CityU.
Services in CityU
Deputy Programme Leader of Associate of Science in Building Services Engineering; Admission Tutor; Academic Advisor, Course Leader.
Scholarship coordinator, Departmental Safety Officer.
Smart Classroom Working Group member, CityU Community of Practice for Sustainability member, and CityU's Christian Staff Fellowship member.