Professor CHONG Ming-Lin Alice is the Professor and Associate Head at the Department of Applied Social Sciences, City University of Hong Kong, teaching courses in social work and counselling. She has been the Associate Dean (Student Life and Learning) of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences from 2005 to 2010. She has had very rich working experiences in social work and welfare management. Her research areas include social gerontology, end of life issues, teaching and learning, as well as human service management. She has published more than 80 academic articles and presented more than 60 papers in international and regional conferences.
Professor Chong has actively participated in community and public services. She is currently the Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson of three non-government organizations, and an honorary consultant to a few others. She has been invited by the Hong Kong SAR Government to the Elderly Commission, and has also served in the Community Investment & Inclusion Fund Committee and in the Advisory Committee on ‘Opportunity for the Elderly Project’.
She has been rewarded with many awards and honours for her long and distinguished community and public services, such as the 60th Anniversary Distinguished Alumni Award by the Department of Social Work and Social Administration of the University of Hong Kong in 2010; CUHK Social Work Distinguished Alumni Award by the Department of Social Work of the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2013; as well as the Medal of Honor by the Hong Kong SAR Government in 2013 for her contribution to the promotion of social capital and the wellbeing of the elderly.
Professor Chong is an excellent teacher and has been awarded the 2012-2013 Teaching Excellence Award by the City University of Hong Kong and the very prestigious 2013 UGC Teaching Award by University Grant Committee.
- Social Gerontology
- Policy and Services for Older People in Chinese Societies
- Teaching & learning
- End of Life Issues
- Human Services Management
Services outside CityU
- Apr 2014 - Now, Appointed Member, Public Libraries Advisory Committee .Hong Kong.
- Jul 2009 - Jun 2015, Appointed Member, Elderly Commission.Hong Kong.
- May 2007 - Apr 2013, Appointed Member, Community Investment & Inclusion Fund Committee.Hong Kong.
- May 2003 - Apr 2009, Appointed Member, The ‘Opportunity for the Elderly Project’ Advisory Committee.Hong Kong.
- Apr 2015 - Mar 2017, President, Hong Kong Association of Schools of Social Work.Hong Kong.
- Sep 2004 - Now, Honorary Research Fellow, Centre on Behavioural Health, University of Hong Kong..Hong Kong.
- Oct 2003 - Now, Honorary Research Fellow, Sau Po Centre on Ageing, University of Hong Kong..Hong Kong.
- Dec 2001 - Now, Co-opted Member, Hong Kong Association of Gerontology.Hong Kong.
- Nov 2003 - Now, Vice-Chairman, Unison-Hong Kong.Hong Kong.
- Feb 2002 - Now, Chair-person, Hans Anderson Club.Hong Kong.
- Sep 1992 - Now, Elderly Service Committee , Methodist Centre.Hong Kong.
Services in CityU
- Sep 2015 - Aug 2017, Board of Undergraduate Studies, Member.
- Jul 2015 - Jun 2017, College Board, Member.
- Jul 2012 - Now, CityU Elderly Academy, Advisor.
- Jun 2008 - Jun 2015, Project X on Learning Excellence, Coordinator.
Research / Thesis Supervision
- Sep 2014 - Now, CHUI Heung Lan Orchid, PhD .
- Sep 2013 - Now, Lo, Yolanda, PhD .
- Sep 2010 - Now, Ouyang, Zheng , PhD .
- Sep 2010 - Aug 2014, Liu, Susu. , PhD .
- Sep 2009 - Jun 2014, Wen, Zhuoyi, PhD .