|1993||Ph.D. in Linguistics, University of Colorado at BoulderAdvisor: Dr. Barbara Fox (student of Sandra A. Thompson)Dissertation topic: Discourse, Grammar, and Grammaticalization: Synchronic and DiachronicAnalysis of the Mandarin Adverbial Markers Jiu and Cai.|
|1993||Certificate in Cognitive Science, University of Colorado at Boulder|
|1987||M.A. in Linguistics, Ohio University|
|1984||B.A. in Foreign Languages and Literatures, National Taiwan University|
Professor Meichun Liu received her PhD in Linguistics from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 1993. Before joining the Department of Linguistics and Translation, City University of Hong Kong as the Head in August 2015, she taught in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature, National Chiao-Tung University (NCTU) since 1994 and was promoted to the rank of Professor of Linguistics in 2002. Between 2003 and 2006, she was the Chair of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature of NCTU. In 2007-08, she was the Director of NCTU Library. In 2013-14, she was the Coordinator of the Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language Certificate Program. She was also a Visiting Scholar at the Department of Linguistics, University of Colorado at Boulder, and a Visiting Scholar at the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, Stanford University.
Prof. Liu is currently a Fellow and Executive Committee member of the Hong Kong Academy of the Humanities, a member of the Humanities and Social Sciences Panel of the Joint Research Schemes of the Research Grant Council, and distinguish professor of the Zhejiang International Studies University. She was appointed as Honorary Academic Consultant for the 國家語委漢語辭書中心 in 2017-18.
Professor Liu has led numerous research projects as PI and engaged in cross-disciplinary collaboration with scholars in Natural Language Processing and Applied Linguistics. She has won a number of significant awards in teaching and research, including the NCTU Excellent Teaching Award (2014), NCTU Distinguished Academic Book Publication Award (2013), LST Thesis of the Year Award, Linguistics Society of Taiwan (2011), Pursuit of Excellency Research Grant Award (2007-2011), NCTU Outstanding Teaching Award (2009-10). She has also served as the External Reviewer, Hong Kong Research Grant Council (2011-14), LST Board Member (2010-12), Section Editor, International Journal of Computational Linguistics & Chinese Language Processing (2009-13), as well as reviewer for a number of prestigious journals, such as Language, Journal of semantics, Journal of Pragmatics, Studies in Language, Lingua, Corpus Linguistics and Linguistic Theory, Australian Journal of Linguistics, Journal of Chinese Linguistics, and Language and Linguistics, etc. She is dedicated to integrating linguistics research with knowledge transfer.
- Functional Syntax
- Lexical Semantics
- Corpus Linguistics
- Cognitive Linguistics
- English and Chinese Language and Linguistics
- Cognitive Linguistics
- Language Processing
- 2016 “The Linguistic Mission: Making Sense of Language”, presented to 廈門大學外國語文學院.
- 2016 “英文寫作有訣竅Think English, Write English”, presented to students of Takming University of Science and Technology.
- 2016 “英文寫作有訣竅Think English, Write English”, presented to MOE Workshop on Improving English Education (英語教育精進計劃), Takming University of Science and Technology.
- 2016 “How to make sense of English Grammar?”, presented to 山東大學外語學院.
- 2016 “Emotion in Lexicon and Grammar: Insight from Mandarin Chinese”, presented to 山東師範文學院.
- 2016 “漢語情感動詞句法語義研究新視角”, presented to 山東大學中文信息研究所.
- 2015 “Emotion Verbs in Chinese and English”, presented to浙江大學高層學術論壇, School of International Studies, Zhejiang University.
- 2015 “Emotion Verbs in Chinese and English”, presented to School of Foreign Languages, Beihang University.
- 2015 “Mandarin Verbs and Verb Classes”, presented to Institute of Computational Linguistics, Peking University.
- 2014 Forum talk on “Think English, Write English”, Language Center, National Chungcheng Univ.
- 2014 Invited speaker and instructor, Miaoli County Program for Academically Gifted Students.
- 2013 Workshop Instructor, Hsinchu County Junior High School English Teachers Program.
- 2013 Talk on Making sense of English, Language Center, National Chungcheng Univ.
- 2013 Invited speaker, Stanford Confucius Institute Symposium, Stanford University, USA.
- 2013 Invited Speaker, Chiayi Technology High School 嘉義市嘉義高工.
- 2013 Invited Speaker, Chiayi Chiahua High School 嘉義市嘉華中學.
- 2013 Invited Speaker, Tainan Cave Bookstore 台南市敦煌書局.
- 2012 Invited Speaker, ETA Annual Conference 全國英語教師年會.
- 2012 Invited Speaker, Hsuan Chuang University.
- 2012 Forum speaker, the Taipei City Library, Taiwan.
- 2009 Invited speaker, The 19th International Conference on Chinese Linguistics, Paris, France.
- 2009 Keynote speaker, Chinese Lexical Semantics Workshop, Yantai, Shandong, China.
- 2008 Keynote speaker, Tri-JiaoTung Conference on Applied Linguistics, Xi-an, China.