MA (Peking University)
PhD (Harvard University)
ZHANG Longxi is a leading scholar in East-West cross-cultural studies. He holds an MA from Peking University and a Ph. D. from Harvard. He had taught at Peking, Harvard, and the University of California, Riverside, and is currently Chair Professor of Comparative Literature and Translation at City University of Hong Kong. He is an elected foreign member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities, and also of Academia Europaea. He is elected President of the International Comparative Literature Association for the term of 2016-19. He is editor of a book series "Canon and World Literature" for Palgrave Macmillan; and co-editor of two book series for Brill, "Brill's Humanities in China" and "East Asian Comparative Literature and Culture." With David Damrosch of Harvard, Theo D'haen of Leuven, and Jale Parla of Istanbul Bilgi, Zhang Longxi is an Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of World Literature; and he also serves on the editorial boards of Modern China; Modern Chinese Literature and Culture; Journal of Chinese Literature and History, and an Advisory Editor of New Literary History. His research interests are East-West cross-cultural studies, Chinese literature, European literature of the Renaissance and the seventeenth century, and world literature. He has published numerous books, book chapters, and journal articles in both English and Chinese.
- Cross-Cultural Studies
- Chinese Culture (in English)
- Language through Literature
- Appreciation of Masterpieces in Western Culture
- Introduction to World Civilizations
- Cross-cultural Studies
- East-West Comparative Literature and Culture
- English Literature (esp. the Renaissance and the 17th Century)
- Classical Chinese Literature
- Philosophy/Religion and Literature
- Literary Theory, Criticism, Hermeneutics
Awards since 2000
- President of the International Comparative Literature Association, July 2016 to July 2019.
- Guest Professor, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany, May to June, 2014.
- Foreign member, Academia Europaea, elected September 19, 2013.
- Foreign Member, The Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities, elected February 3, 2009.
- Guanghua Distinguished Humanist Lectures (光華傑出人文學者系列講座), Fudan University, Shanghai, Nov.-Dec. 2011.
- The Freeman Lecture, Wesleyan University, April 15, 2010.
- The Renato Poggioli Lecture, Harvard University, April 12, 2010.
- Grand Award, City University of Hong Kong Research Excellence Award Scheme, March 2008.
- Cheung Kong Chair Professor (長江講座教授), Beijing Foreign Studies University, 2007-09.
- Alexander Lectures, University College, University of Toronto, Spring 2005.
- Dharma Drum Lecture in the Humanities (法鼓人文講座), National Taiwan University, December 3, 2004.
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Advisory Editor, New Literary History, USA, since May 2010.
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of World Literature, since 2016.
- Advisory Board Member, Journal of East-West Thought, USA, since Dec. 2011.
- Book Series Editor, Palgrave Macmillan's series on Canon and World Literature.
- Book Series Editor, Brill’s East Asian Comparative Literature and Culture.
- Book Series Editor, Brill’s Humanities in China Library.
- Editorial Board member of Modern China; Modern Chinese Literature and Culture; 《中華文史論叢》 [Journal of Chinese Literature and History]; and 《二十一世紀》 [Twenty-First Century].