Dr. Dong Liang obtained his B.E. in Environmental engineering from Tsinghua University, China, and Ph.D. in Urban Environmental Studies from Nagoya University, Japan. Before joining City University, he worked in National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan, and Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML), Leiden University, Netherlands, in the field of industrial ecology, circular economy and low-carbon & eco-city planning.
His research focuses on applying principles of Industrial Ecology to fight to the challenges of developing sustainable, smart and low-carbon cities, with emphasis on the sustainability science & policies, environmental system analysis, and policies design under the theme of urban sustainability. Sub-topics also include development on holistic and integrated socioeconomic and environmental system analytical tools (e.g., life cycle assessment, urban metabolism approach, input-output model and their integration), sustainability indicators/policies, energy and environmental economic approaches, big data and spatial planning tools, and their applications in eco-industrial development, as well as sustainable, low-carbon and smart cities planning. He took charge of and engaged in a series of national level circular economy, smart cities, and low-carbon cities projects in EU, Japan and China. He also actively engaged in providing broad academic services, like consulting to UN-ESCAP, Energy Foundation and many local stakeholders of Industrial and Urban planning, to forward circular, eco and low-carbon urban and regional transition in EU, Asia-Pacific and globe.
- Urban sustainability and Sustainable Urban Planning
- Environmental management & Policies
- Industrial Ecology and Environmental system analysis
- Eco-industrial development (EID) and Eco-industrial parks (EIPs)
- Low-carbon city, Eco-city and Smart city
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Associate Editor: Frontiers in Sustainable Production and Consumption: Multi-criteria Decision Making;
- Editorial Board，Advance in Environmental Waste Management & Recycling;
- Editorial Board，Journal of Environmental Accounting and Management (SCIE);
- Guest editor: Xiao Luo, Ye Li, Liang Dong, Jingzheng Ren, and Michael Evan Goodsite,Special Issue on “Technological and social innovation for better mobility and quality of life”,Technological Forecasting and Social Change (SSCI), 2019 ;
- Managing editor:Liang Dong，Yutao Wang，Antonio SCIPIONI，Hung-Suck Park， Jingzheng Ren，Special Issue on “Urban Infrastructure Systems for Sustainable Resource Management”，Resources, Conservation & Recycling (SCI), 2018;
- Guest editor:Ming-Lang Tseng，Anthony SF Chiu，Liang Dong，Special Issue on “Sustainable consumption and production in business decision-making models”，Resources, Conservation & Recycling (SCI), 2018;
- Guest editor: Jingzheng Ren, Hong Li, Liang Dong, Hanwei Liang, Yingkui Yang, Special issue: Bioenergy, Sustainability and Energy Transition for a more Sustainable Future: Progress, Process and Policy, European Journal of Sustainability, 2016;
- Keynote speech: Regional eco-industrial development supports new era ecological civilization construction. China Economic Development Forum, October 27th, 2018, Jiangxi University of Finance, Nanchang, China.
- Invited lecturer, on eco-industrial parks training workshop, by UNIDO, KICOX and University of Ulsan, August 16th -28th, 2018, Ulsan, Korea.
- Invited speech (In Chinese): Liang Dong, “Frontier theory and approaches of Industrial Ecology, and their application in eco-industries”. Lecture Series for 95th Anniversary of the university. School of Economics, Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics. Nanchang, China, May 4th, 2018. (http://grs.jxufe.cn/gs/news_view.asp?newsid=4537)
- Invited Speech (In Chinese): Liang Dong: “Smart Low-carbon Cities and Circular Economy Knowledge Network Construction”. Institute of Science and Development, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China. January 9th, 2018.
- Invited Speech (In Chinese): Liang Dong: “Promoting Ecological Civilization Construction: Frontiers of Industrial Ecology, Practice and Policies Innovation”. School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Nankai University, Tianjin, China. December 26th, 2017.
- Invited Speech (In Chinese): Liang Dong: “Industrial Ecology Supports Ecological Civilization Construction: Planning Approach and Evaluation Model of Regional Eco- industrial Development”. School of Environment and Resource, Jilin University, Changchun, China. December 25th, 2017. http://cer.jlu.edu.cn/info/1035/4472.htm
- Invited Speech (In Chinese): Liang Dong: “Supports Ecological Civilization Construction: Application of Industrial Ecology Tools in Sustainable Ecological Development”. School of Land and Environment, Shenyang Agriculture University, Shenyang, China. November 22th, 2017.
- Invited Speech (In Chinese): Liang Dong: “Application of Industrial Ecology Tools in Industrial Process Analysis”. Qingdao Institute of Bioenergy and Bioprocess Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao, China. November 20th, 2017.
- Invited Speech: Liang Dong: Frontiers of Industrial Ecology and Academic Network Construction. Leiden Science China. Leiden, Netherlands, November 11th, 2017.
- Invited Presentation: Liang Dong : ”Promoting Regional Eco-industrial Development: Planning Approach, Evaluation Model and Policy Innovation”. 1st Sino-Europa Resource Forum, Southern Denmark University, September 1st to 2nd, 2017. Odense, Denmark.
- Keynote Speech (In Chinese): Liang Dong: Workshop on “Industrial Ecology and Sustainable Construction:Smart and low-carbon transition on urban and industrial system”, Chongqing University, Chongqing, China, April15th, 2017. http://news.cqu.edu.cn/newsv2/show-14-7420-1.html
- Invited speech (In Chinese): Liang Dong: Frontiers of Circular Economy - Evaluation, Decision Making and Innovative Business Models to Support Resource Efficiency Upgrades, Hubei University, Wuhan, China, November 30th, 2016. http://bs.hubu.edu.cn/info/1043/1107.htm
- Invited speech (In Chinese), Liang Dong: Frontiers of Circular Economy and Regional Eco-industrial Development. School of Public Management, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China. July 8th, 2016
- Invited speech: Liang Dong. “Smart urban industrial symbiosis and regional eco-industrial development: planning approach and assessment model”. School of Environment, Beijing Normal University. March 28th, 2016. Beijing, China.
- Invited speech: Liang Dong. “Circular Economy and Smart Industrial Park: Supply side optimization and demand side management perspective”. Poyanghu Ecological Economy Research Institute, Jiangxi university of Finance. March 21st, 2016, Nanchang, Jiangxi province, China. http://news.jxufe.cn/html/2016/2-22/n34181166.html
- Invited speech (In Chinese): Liang Dong: Smart Urban Industrial Symbiosis: Planning Approach and Evaluation Model. Series Lectures on Urban and Regional Development Frontiers, Department of Urban Planning, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China. December 28th, 2015
- Invited presentation, Liang Dong: “Smart Eco-Industrial Parks: Design and Implications”. 1st Low-carbon Transport Forum, School of Transport Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai, China. December 25th, 2015. http://cx.tongji.edu.cn/tjjt3/info/5290.htm
- Invited presentation: Liang DONG; et al.: “Towards preventative eco-industrial development: Modeling industrial symbiosis within urban metabolism”. Workshop: Pathway to preventative and regenerative Eco-industrial development November 3rd, 2015, Tuesday. Global Cleaner Production & Sustainable Consumption Conference, 1-4 November 2015, Barcelona, Spain.
- Invited presentation: Liang Dong，Research on analytical methodology to plan and evaluate industrial symbiosis in steel plant industrial complex. Ulsan Eco-industrial Park Center, Ulsan office, Korea Industrial Complex Corp (KICOX), Ulsan city, Korea, October 15, 2014.
- Invited speech by UN-ESCAP:Takuya Togawa, Liang Dong，Practices, Experiences and Challenges toward Low Carbon City Development in Japan, International Symposium on “Realizing Low Carbon Cities in North-East Asia: Bridging science, policy and promoting cooperation”, Organized by United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP), Beijing, China, 5-6 December, 2013. http://www.unescap.org/events/international-symposium-realizing-low-carbon-cities-north- east-asia-bridging-science-policy