Dr. CHAN King Chi Chris (陳敬慈)
Bachelor of Business Administration (HKU)
MA in Comparative Labour Studies (Warwick)
PhD in Sociology (Warwick)
Chris Chan has joined the department to teach sociology since 2009. He has been the programme leader of MSSAS since 2012. His research focuses on labour, civil society and social development, especially in Mainland China. His recent research has been funded by City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Research Grant Council, the Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation in Taiwan, Social and Economic Research Council in the UK, International Labor Organization of United Nations and other organizations. As an executive committee member of several labour NGOs, he works closely with trade unions, NGOs and activists’ groups to promote labour rights and social equality in Hong Kong, China and beyond.
Chris convenes the Labour Studies Network in the deparment.
- Comparative labour studies
- Work and employment
- Labour policy and social security
- Global production network
- Corporate social responsibility
- Civil society in China
Services outside CityU
- Dec 2014 - Now, Book Series Editor: Series in Asian Labor and Welfare Policies, Palgrave macmillan .
Services in CityU
2012 - Now, Programme Leader, Master of Social Sciences in Applied Sociology (MSSAS).
Research / Thesis Supervision
2015 - 2018, Bryce Swerhun, PhD Thesis (Labour Movement in Hong Kong and South Africa).
2012 - 2016, Lu Jian , PhD Thesis (Environmental Protest in China).
- 2015 - Now, SS5401 Social Science Perspectives .
- 2012 - 2015, CLA1601 Individuals and Society .
- 2010 - 2015, SS2024 Social Problems and Interventions .
- 2010 - Now, SS3427 Professional Internship in Applied Sociology.
- 2009 - Now, SS4595 Independent Study in Applied Sociology .
- 2009 - Now, SS6591 Integrative Project .