Professor Kin Man Yu grew up in Hong Kong and graduated from Saint Joseph’s College, Hong Kong in the late 1970s. He received his B.S. in Engineering Physics in 1982 and Ph. D. in Materials Science and Mineral Engineering in 1987, both from the University of California, Berkeley.
From 1987-2014, Dr. Yu was Staff Scientist and Principal Investigator in the Materials Sciences Division at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. He was also the director of the Ion Beam Analysis Facility, managing a state-of-the-art ion beam laboratory preforming a wide spectrum of material analysis techniques. At LBNL Dr. Yu co-led the Solar Energy Materials Research Group and conducted fundamental research on photovoltaic materials. Dr. Yu has an h-index of 56 (68 in google scholar). He has coauthored 12 book chapters and invited reviews, published over 450 journal articles with over 14800 citations (>20000 in GS), and co-authored over 10 patents related to advanced PV technology. In 2006, Dr. Yu received an R&D 100 award (Editor’s choice for most promising technology) for his work with Dr. Wladek Walukiewicz on multiband semiconductors for high efficiency solar cells. Since August 2014, he serves as an Associate Editor for the Journal of Applied Physics.
Dr. Yu joined the City University of Hong Kong in October 2014 and now is a professor in the Department of Physics with join appointment in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
- Structural, optical and electronic properties of thin film semiconductors
- Design, synthesis and characterization of group III nitrides
- Development of novel highly mismatched III-V and II-V semiconductor alloys for full spectrum photovoltaic applications
- Transparent conductors for high efficiency PV applications
- Defects in semiconductors
- Ion beam analysis and modification of materials
- W. Walukiewicz and K. M. Yu, “Co-implantation of group VI elements and N for formation of non-alloyed ohmic contacts for n-type semiconductors,” United States Patent #6,759,312, July 6, 2004.
- W. Walukiewicz , K. M. Yu, J. Wu, and William J Schaff, “Broad Spectrum Solar Cell,” United States Patent #7,217,882, May 15, 2007.
- Wladyslaw Walukiewicz, Kin Man Yu, and Junqiao Wu, “Multiband semiconductor compositions for photovoltaic devices,” United States Patent #7,709,728, May 4, 2010.
- W. Walukiewicz, J.W. Ager, K.M. Yu, “Low-resistance Tunnel Junctions for High Efficiency Tandem Solar Cells.” Patent Application No. PCT/US2008/004572.
- W. Walukiewicz, J.W. Ager III, K.M. Yu, “Single p-n Junction Tandem Photovoltaic Device.” U.S. Patent #8,039,740, October 18, 2011.
- W. Walukiewicz, J.W. Ager III, K.M. Yu, “Group III-Nitride Solar Cell with Grade Compositions.” Patent Application No. 61/019,536.
- W. Waluliewicz, K. M. Yu, “Dilute Group III-V Nitride Intermediate Band Solar Cells with Contact Blocking Layers”, U.S. Patent Application Serial No. 12/558,446, submitted 9/11/09.
- Kin Man Yu, W. Walukiewicicz, A. X. Levander, S. V. Novikov, C. T. Foxon, “P-type amorphous GaNAs alloys as low resistance ohmic contact to p-type group III-Nitride semiconductors,” U.S. Patent Application Ser. No:61/488,036, filed May 19, 2011 (LBNL Docket: JIB-3022P.)
- W. Walukiewicz, K.M. Yu, and Junqiao Wu, “Multiband semiconductor compositions for photovoltaic devices,” U.S. Patent No. 8,129,615, March 6, 2012.
- W. Walukiewicz, K.M. Yu, “Compositionally Graded Dilute Group III-V Nitride Cell With Blocking Layers For Multijunction Solar Cell,” pub. # WO/2013/043875, pub date March 28, 2013.