Jun Wang is a Chair Professor of Computational Intelligence in the Department of Computer Science and School of Data Science at City University of Hong Kong. Prior to this position, he held various academic positions at Dalian University of Technology, Case Western Reserve University, University of North Dakota, and Chinese University of Hong Kong. He also held various part-time visiting positions at US Air Force Armstrong Laboratory, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Dalian University of Technology, and Shanghai Jiao Tong University as a Changjiang Chair Professor. He received a B.S. degree in electrical engineering and an M.S. degree in systems engineering from Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China. He received his Ph.D. degree in systems engineering from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA. His current research interests include neural networks and their applications. He published about 200 journal papers, 15 book chapters, 11 edited books, and numerous conference papers in these areas. He is the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics. He also served as an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (1999-2009), IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics and its predecessor (2003-2013), and IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics – Part C (2002–2005), as a member of the editorial advisory board of International Journal of Neural Systems (2006-2013), and a member of the editorial board of Neural Networks (2012-2014) as a guest editor of special issues of European Journal of Operational Research (1996), International Journal of Neural Systems (2007), Neurocomputing (2008, 2014, 2016), and International Journal of Fuzzy Systems (2010, 2011). He was an organizer of several international conferences such as the General Chair of the 13th International Conference on Neural Information Processing (2006) and the 2008 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, and a Program Chair of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (2012). He has been an IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Distinguished Lecturer (2010-2012, 2014-2016). In addition, he served as President of Asia Pacific Neural Network Assembly (APNNA) in 2006 and many organizations such as IEEE Fellow Committee (2011-2012); IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Awards Committee (2008, 2012, 2014), IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society Board of Directors (2013-2015), He is an IEEE Fellow, IAPR Fellow, and a recipient of an IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks Outstanding Paper Award and APNNA Outstanding Achievement Award in 2011, Natural Science Awards from Shanghai Municipal Government (2009) and Ministry of Education of China (2011), and Neural Networks Pioneer Award from IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (2014), among others.
- 1 Apr 2008 - 31 Mar 2011, Changjiang Chair Professor (part-time), Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
- 1 Jan 2002 - 14 Jan 2016, Professor, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 29 Aug 1996 - 31 Dec 2001, Associate Professor, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 1 Apr 1993 - 28 Aug 1995, Associate Professor, University of North Dakota.
- 15 Aug 1990 - 31 Mar 1993, Assistant Professor, University of North Dakota.
Services outside CityU
- 2014 - 2019, Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics.USA.
- 2013 - 2019, Member, Board of Governers, IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society.USA.
- 2012, Program Chair, IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics.Korea.
- 2011 - 2012, Member, IEEE Fellow Committee, IEEE.USA.
- 2008, General Chair, IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence.Hong Kong.
- 2006/2018, General Chair, 13th/25th International Conference on Neural Information Processing, Hong Kong/Cambodia.
- Jul 2014 “Neural Networks Pioneer Award” IEEE Computational Intelligence Society. The award recognizes significant contributions to early concepts and sustained developments in the field of neural networks. . [Award recipients]
- Nov 2011 “Outstanding Achievements Award” Asia Pacific Neural Network Assembly.
- Oct 2011 “Natural Science Award” Ministry of Education of China.
- Jul 2011 “IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks Outstanding Paper Award” IEEE Computational Intelligence Society. [Awards]
- Computational inteligence
- Neural computation
- Optimization methods
- Data processing
- Intelligent control
- Collaborative neurodynamic approaches to distributed optimization, global optimization and multi-objective optimization, Basic research, National Natural Science Foundation of China, Amount: CNY $620,000, 1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2020, J. Wang (PI), H.S. Wong (Co-I).
- Intelligent Motion Control and Planning of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles , General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Amount: HKD $500,000, 1 Jan 2015 - 31 Dec 2017, Jun Wang (PI), Yunhui Liu (Co-I).
- Neurodynamic Approaches to Constrained Optimization with Generalized-Convex and Multiple-Objective Functions, General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Amount: HKD $905,425, 1 Jan 2013 - 31 Dec 2016, Jun Wang (PI), Duan Li (Co-I).