Dr. LI Jun (李俊)
BSc Physics (Tianjin), PhD Computational Biology (Hong Kong)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases and Public Health
- Affiliate Assistant Professor, School of Data Science
Dr Jun Li joined City University of Hong Kong in February 2018 as an Assistant Professor in Bioinformatics. He is also affiliated to the School of Data Science.
He graduated from Tianjin University with a bachelor degree in physics and then joined Beijing Genomics Institute (BGI) in 2003. In BGI, he was trained as a bioinformatician and served as senior project leader for over 3 years, leading a team focused on comparative genomics, evolution and population genetics.
He received his PhD degree from the University of Hong Kong (HKU) in 2013 under the supervision of Prof. Frederick Leung, working in the fields of comparative genomics/transcriptomics for viruses and bacteria. Afterwards, he joined the lab of Dr. Gianni Panagiotou as a postdoctoral researcher at HKU and the Hans Knoll Institute in Germany, investigating the microbiome from human, animal and other environments.
Dr Li is interested in developing mathematical or machine learning models, and using computational skills in the analysis of multi-omics, structural and phenotypic data to understand the intrinsic nature of the biological processes and dynamics, especially in the field of health-related microbiome, antibiotic resistance, precision livestock farming and drug development.
- Antibiotic resistance and pathogenesis in human, animal and environments
- Microbial interactions and dynamics
- Structural biology and antibiotic developing
- Disease-related microbiome
- Big data mining with multi-omics and metadata
- Artificial intelligence in biomedical sciences
- Precision live stock farming