Dr. ZHU Jin (朱金)
BEng in Planning (Zhejiang University)
MEng in Planning (Tongji University)
PhD in Planning and Urban Development (University of New South Wales)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Public Policy
Jin Zhu is an Assistant Professor in urban and housing studies in the Department of Public Policy, City University of Hong Kong. He received his PhD in planning and urban development from University of New South Wales (UNSW), with full scholarship from Australian Federal Government. He was granted the Outstanding PhD Theses Award from UNSW's graduate school.
He was initially trained as a town planner, with his bachelors and masters degrees in town and country planning from Zhejiang and Tongji Universities, China. Before joining City University of Hong Kong, he was a Research Associate at University of Hong Kong's Social Infrastructure for Equity and Wellbeing (SIEW) Lab. During his PhD candidature, he also worked as a casual academic in UNSW’s School of Built Environment and a part-time researcher in UNSW’s City Futures Research Centre and Social Policy Research Centre.
He works in the fields of urban planning, housing, urban and rural governance and sustainable cities. His works appear in top-ranking urban and housing journals, including Housing Studies, Cities, Population Space and Place, Habitat International, Environment and Urbanization, and Journal of Rural Studies, in addition to extensive publications in Chinese planning journals, including Urban Planning Forum (城市规划学刊) and City Planning Review (城市规划). His research aims to impact local policy-making and planning practices. Some of his publications are collaborations between academics and planning practitioners, which has benefited from his previous industry experience as a town planner in Shanghai before doing his PhD in Australia.
- Housing policy
- Urban and rural governance
- The politics of spatial planning
- Sustainable and innovative cities
- Doctor of Philosophy (Planning and Urban Development), University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, Australia (with full scholarship provided by Australian Federal Government)
- Master of Engineering in Town and Country Planning (Research Degree), Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- Bachelor of Engineering in Town Planning (Five years accredited programme), Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China（Overall GPA 3.91/4; 3.96/4 in last three years)