Dr. KHARRAZ Jehad Abbaas Abed Alhaleem
Dr. Jehad Kharraz is a postdoctoral fellow at the Water & Membrane Technologies Laboratory at the School of Energy and Environment (SEE), City University of Hong Kong. His current research interest is in membrane-based desalination, with a focus on emerging desalination technologies such as membrane distillation (MD) and the development of novel membranes for water and wastewater applications & resource recovery. He works on the development of novel fouling- and wetting- resistant membranes & membrane surface modifications, and on sustainability assessment of autonomous, renewable energy-powered desalination systems. Recently, his research is oriented towards the potential and applications of nanobubble (NB) technology for improving current water treatment systems and for potential microplastics (MPs) removal from water bodies. Dr. Kharraz received his Ph.D. in Energy and Environment Engineering from City University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong) in 2021, Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Water & Environmental Engineering from Khalifa University - Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, MI (Abu Dhabi, UAE) in 2015, and Bachelor's (BS) degree in Civil Engineering from An-Najah National University (Nablus, Palestine) in 2012. Between 2012-2013 and 2016-2018, he worked as a junior and senior civil engineer both in design & consultancy and in contracting, performing and overseeing multiple construction projects. Between 2015 and 2016, he was a scientist at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) as part of the Institute of Functional Interfaces (IFG), Department of Membrane Technology where he worked on the development of autonomous solar-powered water treatment systems for the provision of clean drinking water to remote communities. In 2018, he was a consultant for AECOM as part of the biggest planning strategy development for the state of Palestine, to provide wastewater planning strategy development for the West Bank & Gaza Strip, Funded by USAID. Dr. Kharraz is a member of the Jordan Engineers Association (JEA), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the European Membrane Society (EMS), and Engineers Without Borders (EWB). He has been awarded the prestigious Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme Award (2018-2021) and the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies Entrance Scholarship for his Ph.D. research, in addition to the recipience of multiple international research fellowships and scholarships. His research was published in 34+ book chapters, peer-reviewed journal papers, and conference presentations. He took part in various research projects and wrote several successful funding proposals, in addition to supervising several graduate and undergraduate students.
- Membrane Development and Fabrication
- Transport Phenomena
- Fouling and wetting mitigation in membrane distillation
- Membrane surface modifications
- Superhydrophobic & Omniphobic membrane surfaces
- Nanobubbles (NBs) Technology
- Microplastics Detection and Removal in Aquatic Environments
"Development of Corrugated Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) Membranes for Fouling Control in Membranes Bioreactors (MBR) and Membrane Distillation (MD)" © 2015 Masdar Institute of Science and Technology
2019: Omniphobic Slippery Membrane Surface for Wetting and Fouling Prevention: The Expanded Application of Membrane Distillation for Resource Recovery from Wastewater.
2016: Development of solar powered reverse osmosis/nanofiltration (RO/NF) system for brackish water desalination in remote communities.
2014: Domestic wastewater treatment as a net energy producer (wastewater resources recovery).
2014: Comparative life cycle assessment (LCA) of conventional and geothermal residential heating and cooling systems.
2013: Development of novel corrugated PVDF membranes for membrane distillation (MD) desalination and membrane bioreactor (MBR) wastewater treatment application.
2013: Engineering open anaerobic microbial fermentation for conversion of organic waste into biofuel.
- Recipient of Certificate of Merit, Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies, 2019.
- Recipient of the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Award (2018-2021), Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong, March 2018.
- Recipient of the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies Entrance Scholarship (2018-2019), Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies, City University of Hong Kong, March 2018.
- Recipient of the Karlsruhe Institute Of Technology Research Scholarship (2016-2017), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany, January 2016.
- Recipient of the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology Research Scholarship (2013-2015), Masdar Institute, UAE, February 2013.
- Certified Peer Reviewer, Certificate of Excellence, researcher academy, ELSEVIER (2020).
- How to Secure Funding – ECR edition, researcher academy, ELSEVIER
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Jordan Engineers Association (JEA)
- European Membrane Society (EMS)
- North American Membrane Society (NAMS)
- Engineers Without Borders (EWB)