Mr. Kharraz is a PhD Fellow under the guidance of Dr. Alicia AN at the School of Energy and Environment (SEE), City University of Hong Kong (Kowloon, HK). He received his Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Water & Environmental Engineering for his work on the Development of Corrugated Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) Membranes for Fouling Control in Membranes Bioreactors (MBR) and Membrane Distillation (MD) by the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, MI (Abu Dhabi, UAE) in May 2015. He holds a Bachelor's (BS) degree in Civil Engineering from An-Najah National University (Nablus, Palestine) since January 2012. Mr. Kharraz is a member of the Jordan Engineers Association (JEA), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and Engineers Without Borders (EWB). He has been awarded the prestigious Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Award (2018-2021) and the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies Entrance Scholarship, in addition to the recipiance of multiple international research fellowships and scholarships. He is an author of more than 15 book chapters and peer-reviewed journal papers and several papers and presentations in top international conferences. The focus of Mr. Kharraz’s research interests is on the development of novel fouling- and wetting- resistance membranes for desalination and wastewater treatment applications (particularly Membrane Distillation MD) and on sustainability assessment of autonomous, renewable energy-powered desalination systems.
- Membrane Development and Fabrication
- Fouling and wetting mitigation in membrane distillation
- Membrane surface modifications
- Superhydrophobic & Omniphobic membrane surfaces
"Development of Corrugated Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) Membranes for Fouling Control in Membranes Bioreactors (MBR) and Membrane Distillation (MD)" © 2015 Masdar Institute of Science and Technology
2019: Omniphobic Slippery Membrane Surface for Wetting and Fouling Prevention: The Expanded Application of Membrane Distillation for Resource Recovery from Wastewater.
2016: Development of solar powered reverse osmosis/nanofiltration (RO/NF) system for brackish water desalination in remote communities.
2014: Domestic wastewater treatment as a net energy producer (wastewater resources recovery).
2014: Comparative life cycle assessment (LCA) of conventional and geothermal residential heating and cooling systems.
2013: Development of novel corrugated PVDF membranes for membrane distillation (MD) desalination and membrane bioreactor (MBR) wastewater treatment application.
2013: Engineering open anaerobic microbial fermentation for conversion of organic waste into biofuel.
- Recipient of Certificate of Merit, Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies, 2019.
- Recipient of the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Award (2018-2021), Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong, March 2018.
- Recipient of the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies Entrance Scholarship (2018-2019), Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies, City University of Hong Kong, March 2018.
- Recipient of the Karlsruhe Institute Of Technology Research Scholarship (2016-2017), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany, January 2016.
- Recipient of the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology Research Scholarship (2013-2015), Masdar Institute, UAE, February 2013.