Dr. PUN Jack (潘國雄)
Joint PhD Programme in Mainland China
Current PhD students can apply our joint PhD programme, spending a few years studying at CityU in addition to their study at home university. Postgraduate Studentship/stipend is available for eligible students. The monthly rate is HK$17,000 during studies at Hong Kong Campus of CityU, RMB2,700@ during studies at USTC-CityU joint advanced research centre (Suzhou) and RMB 4,700@ during studies at CityUSRI. More details: CityU School of Graduate Studies www.cityu.edu.hk/sgs
Jack is seeking exceptionally qualified students for the upcoming 2019-2020 intake.
Informal contacts are welcomed from any prospective doctoral students who are interested in the following topics:
- Health communication (e.g. doctor-patient/ nurse-patient/ clinician-to-clinician)
- English as a medium of instruction; Language across curriculum; Academic literacy development for school students (Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking); Students’ language challenges/ coping strategies for studying EMI
- The impact of English Medium Instruction in Higher/Secondary/Primary/Early-childhood Education
- English language education; Second/foreign language learning or teaching; Language Learning motivations and strategies; Codes-switching patterns in either oral or written discourse
- Classroom discourse (spoken or written); Classroom Interaction between teachers and students
- Sociolinguistics; Communication at different professional settings;
- Multimodal discourse analysis; Social semiotics; New media
- Systemic Functional Linguistics/Grammar
- Discourse analysis/ Text analysis
- Mixed-method approach
Candidates holding a Bachelor or Master degree are expected to complete the PhD in four years. Financial support for the successful candidates will be provided via the Hong Kong UGC- PhD Fellowship Scheme. Self-financed students and local HK students are also highly encouraged to apply at any time in the year:
- HK PhD Fellowship Scheme: It includes a yearly stipend of HKD$301,200 (approximately USD$38,600) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HKD$12,600 (approximately USD$1,600) per year to each awardee. For applicants from non-English speaking universities, the minimum English proficiency requirement (IELTS score of 6.5) must be met. The application deadline is on 1 December 2018.
- Tuition Waiver for Local Research Postgraduate (RPg) Students: All local HK students enrolled in all UGC-funded RPg programmes (4-year PhD) are eligible for the tuition waiver. Eligible applicants may still apply for means-tested grants and loans under the TSFS to cover their academic expenses and living expenses respectively.
Further information can be found at the following websites:
Interested candidates are highly encouraged to initiate a contact with Dr Jack Pun to express their interest before applying (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Part-time Student assistants
We are now recruiting 3-5 local student assistants for a research project on “Exploring the Language Challenges and Coping Strategies of Science Students in an English-medium University”.
Good proficiency in written English; Strong commitment
literature reviews; data collection; data entry; translation (Cantonese to English); interview transcriptions
* some tasks can be carried out at home
HKD52 per hour (Payment will be based on actual working hours)
If you are interested to work on this project, please send your CV via email to Dr Jack Pun (email@example.com). Successful applicants will be informed separately.