Prof. YAN Hong (嚴洪)
- Chair Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering
Phone: +852 34427375
Hong Yan received his Ph.D. degree from Yale University. He was Professor of Imaging Science at the University of Sydney and currently is Wong Chun Hong Professor of Data Engineering and Chair Professor of Computer Engineering at City University of Hong Kong (CityU) and the Director of Center for Intelligent Multidimensional Data Analysis (CIMDA) Limited. He is a former Dean of the College of Science and Engineering at CityU.
Professor Yan has over 600 journal and conference publications, and his research interests include:
- Image processing and computer vision: Biomedical imaging; Object tracking and recognition
- Computer animation: Virtual characters; Facial expressions; 3D e-commerce; Multimedia systems
- Machine learning: Tensor and hypergraph theories; Co-clustering; Machine learning algorithms; Parallel computing
- Computational biology and medicine: Genomic data analysis; Protein structures and dynamics; Cancer drug resistance
Click here for information about R&D positions available at CIMDA
- 2021, Fellow, US National Academy of Inventors (NAI)
- 2021, Second Place, ACM Multimedia 2021, Facial Micro-expression Challenge, X. Fan, A. Shahid, and H. Yan, "Facial micro-expression generation based on deep motion retargeting and transfer learning"
- 2019, Member, European Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 2016, Norbert Wiener Award, IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society
- 2013, Excellent Product Award, China Hi-Tech Fair, H. Yan, "Regional zooming virtual keyboards"
- 2013, Lotfi Zadeh Best Paper Award, International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, D. Z. Wang and H. Yan, "An efficient searching algorithm based on local shape complementarity of hydrogen bonds and relaxation labeling for protein-ligand docking"
- 2010, Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society
- 2006, Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- 2005, Best Mobile Entertainment Software Award, Office of Hong Kong Government Chief Information Officer, Hong Kong Productivity Council, Hong Kong Digital Entertainment Association, and Hong Kong Wireless Technology Industry Association, H. Yan, "Real-time lip-synchroniztion and facial animation system"
- 2000, Fellow, International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR)
Services outside CityU
- Member, IEEE Medal of Honor Committee
- Associate Editor, World Scientific Annual Review of Artificial Intelligence
- Co-Chair, Technical Committee on Computational Life Science, IEEE SMC Society
- Member, Board of Directors, CityU HK Innovation Limited
- Member, Organizing Committee, International Grand Challenges Scholars Program (GCSP) Workshop, co-organized by the College of Science and Engineering at City University of Hong Kong and the US National Academy of Engineering (NAE), 2018