Ir Dr Paul Heung-fai LAM is currently associate professor in the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering at the City University of Hong Kong. Dr. Lam performs fundamental and applied research in structural health monitoring (SHM) and innovative wind turbine design. Dr. Lam is experienced in full-scale dynamic testing of structures and has led to the book Vibration Testing and Applications in System Identification of Civil Engineering Structures (CRC Press). Dr Lam lead a series of research projects and consultancy projects on the structural model updating and SHM of various structural systems, such as buildings, bridges (e.g., Tsing Ma Bridge, Ting Kau Bridge, and Kap Shui Mun Bridge), railway track systems following both model-based approach and model-free (data driven, AI-based) approach.
Dr Lam is currently the Associate Editor of Engineering Structures. Furthermore, Dr Lam serves as an Editorial Board Member of 4 other journals. Dr Lam was awarded the Top 2% most highly cited scientists in Engineering by Stanford University in 2020, 2021 and 2022; The Geneva International Exhibition of Inventions Silver Award (日內瓦國際發明展銀獎) on March 2022; The Editor’s Featured Paper Award and the Best Paper of the Year 2022 (Structural Control and Health Monitoring) from Engineering Structures (Elsevier) on Aug 2022; The Pengcheng Scholar Chair Professor (鹏城学者讲座教授) in Harbin Institution of Technology, Shenzhen, China, in 2019; The Commendation Merit – Structural Excellence Award from the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Structural Division in 2019 and 2021. Dr. Lam has received over HK$46 million in research grants. According to the Web of Science, Dr Lam has an h-index of 37 (Scopus).
- BC3154: Computer Application in Construction
- BC3154F: Computer Application in Construction
- BC3154P: Computer Application in Construction
- BC3619: Design of Structural Elements
- BC3619P: Design of Structural Elements
- BC4157: Computer Application for Structural Engineering
- BC4157P: Computer Application for Structural Engineering
- BC4516P: Final Year Project
- BC4643: Structural Dynamics and Stability
- BC4643P: Structural Dynamics and Stability
- BCH2903: Learning to Learn
- CA3619: Design of Structural Elements
- CA3704: Construction Engineering
- CA4157: Computer Application for Structural Engineering
- CA4639: Integrated Design Project
- CA6608: Modern Structural Engineering
- CA6608D: Advanced Structural Engineering
Structural dynamics, vibration measurement, modal identification, structural model updating, structural damage detection, crack detection, structural health monitoring, vibration control, artificial neural networks design, web-based information management system.