Dr. Heng Choon Oliver CHAN (陳慶泉)
Ph.D. in Criminology (University of South Florida, FL, USA)
M.A. in Forensic Psychology (Marymount University, VA, USA)
B.A. in Psychology (Bemidji State University, MN, USA)
- Associate Professor, Department of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Heng Choon (Oliver) CHAN, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor of Criminology at City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR. He received his Ph.D. in Criminology from the University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA, and was a recipient of the "2012 Outstanding Criminology Ambassador Award." Oliver earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and a Master’s Degree in Forensic Psychology. In 2014, Oliver has been awarded the honorary title "Early Career Award" by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) of University Grant Committee (UGC) for his outstanding and successful application for the competitive Early Career Scheme (ECS) grant. When he was in the U.S., Oliver interned and later was employed by the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department’s (MPDC) Homicide Case Review Units as one of its first two Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) Violent Criminals Apprehension Program (ViCAP) analysts.
Oliver's research focuses on sexual homicide, offender profiling, sex offending, homicide, stalking behavior, and criminological issues related to the Asian population. He published widely on these topics, especially in the area of sexual homicide. He is an Associate Editor of International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology and an editorial board member on a number of other peer-reviewed journals; and an ad-hoc reviewer for many peer-reviewed journals and academic publishers. Oliver has also been regularly interviewed by electronic media and quoted in print media on criminological issues; and consulted on the offending behavior of violent offenders by television program scriptwriters and movie producers.
- Sexual Homicide (sexually-motivated murder)
- Offender Profiling
- Sexual Offending
- Homicide Studies
- Stalking Behavior
- Criminological Issues related to the Asian Population
SS4718 Forensic Criminology
SS4709 Psychology of Law Enforcement
SS4304 Sexual Offending
SS4296 Research Project in Criminology
SS3426 Professional Internship in Applied Criminology
SS2030 Introduction to Criminology
GE2221 Violence and Crime
Award and Achievement
2017 “The President's Award” City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
2014 “Early Career Award” Research Grants Council (RGC) of University Grants Committee (UGC), Hong Kong.
2012 “Outstanding Criminology Ambassador Award” Department of Criminology, University of South Florida, FL, USA.
2007 “Int. Assoc. of Asian Crime Investigators & Chinese-American Education Foundation Scholarship” International Association of Asian Crime Investigators and Chinese-American Educational Foundation.
Services outside CityU
- 2013 - Now, Senior Consultant, Peace of Mind Threat Management Company Ltd..Hong Kong and Finland.
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 2012 - Present.
- Editorial Review Board Member, Advancing Corrections Journal, International Corrections and Prisons Association (ICPA), 2016 - Present.
- Executive Editorial Board Member, Criminal Psychology and Criminal Investigations International Journal, International Association for Criminal Psychology, 2013 - Present.
- Editorial Board Member, Annals on Forensic Research and Analysis, JSciMed Central, 2014 - Present.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, Jacobs Publishers, 2014 - Present.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Forensic Investigation, Avens Publishing Group, 2014 - Present.
- Editorial Board Member, Jacobs Journal of Forensic Science, Jacobs Publishers, 2014 - Present.
- Asian Criminological Society (ACS), Macau, China; International Corrections and Prisons Association (ICPA), Canada; Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS), USA; American Psychological Association (APA), USA; American Society of Criminology (ASC), USA; Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), USA; Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP), USA; Delta Epsilon Sigma (National Scholastic Honor Society), USA; Pi Gamma Mu (International Honor Society in Social Sciences), USA; Psi Chi (National Honor Society in Psychology), USA.
Professional Association Positions
- Elected Member of the Presidium, The General Assembly, Asian Criminological Society (ACS), 2019 - 2021; 2016 - 2018.
- Appointed Member, Research and Development (R&D) Committee, International Corrections and Prisons Association (ICPA), 2013 – Present.