- Chair Professor, City University of Hong Kong (Since 2013)
- Professor, City University of Hong Kong (2009-2013)
- Associate Professor, City University of Hong Kong (2005-2009)
- Assistant Professor, City University of Hong Kong (2000-2005)
- Post-doctoral Researcher, University of Toronto, Canada (1997-1999)
- Ph.D., Robotics and Automation, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- M.S., Precision Instrument and Biomedical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- B.Sc., Precision Instrument and Mechanology, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Editorial board member of the new open-access journal IEEE Nanotechnology Express (since 2014)
- Technical Editor of the IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (2009-2013)
- Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Robotics (2004-2008)
- Guest Editor, Asian Control Journal (2012, 2013)
- Guest Editor, Sensors (2010, 2011)
- Editor at large (2010-11) and Associate Editor (2008-2010) of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Conference Board
- Adjunct Professor of University of Toronto, CanadaGuest Professor of University of Science and Technology, China
- Member of Engineering Panel of Research Grant Council of Hong Kong (Since 2011)
- Program Co-Chair of 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems
- Program Chair of 2014 Hong Kong Biomedical Engineering Conference
- General Chair of 2013 IEEE International Conference on Nanotechnology, Beijing, China
- Program Co-Chair of 2013 IEEE International Conference on Advanced and Intelligent Mechanics (AIM)
- Program Co-Chair of 2012 of International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision
- General Chair of 2010 IEEE International Conference on Nano/Molecular Medicine and Engineering
- Program Chair of 2009 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics
- Cell-based bioengineering
- Motion control and Mechatronics
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENT
Extensive research experiences in robotics and cell-based bioengineering, with numerous outcomes in both fundamental and applied researches. Obtain HK$ 50M research funding and lead more than 30 research projects towards successful completion. Particular academic contributions include:
- Leading researches in robotic single cell manipulation, focusing on development of cell manipulation tools with optical tweezers for probing cell functional mechanism. Make breakthrough researches in cell-based bioengineering at single cell level, developing table-top engineering solutions with integrated technologies in robotics & automation, optical tweezers, microfluidic chip and biomedical engineering.
- Deep investigation in multiagent systems. Design, create and apply synchronization approaches and other multiagent approaches to multirobot coordination, CNC machining, robot formation networks and multi-cell manipulations.
- Extensive researches in advanced robotics and mechatronics. Technology transfer and development of a high-tech start up in Hong Kong Science Park. Actively involved in collaboration research with industry in motion controls and automation product technologies.
Cell-based Bioengineering: Pioneered works on developing robot-aided cell manipulation system with optical tweezers. Cell manipulations include cell stretching, cell positioning, cell sorting and isolation, cell fusion and cell injection etc. Current studies focus on bioengineering solutions at single cell level to characterize nanobiomechanics property of biological cells, understanding cell mechanism and functional behaviors through researches in cell-to-cell interaction and cell migration control in micro-fluid channels. Currently lead one on-going CRF (Collaboration Research Fund) as Project Coordinator and participate one TRS (Theme-based Research Scheme) project and one CRF project as Co-PI.
Multirobot System: Creatively designed a cross-coupling synchronization control framework to control both position and synchronization errors to converge to zero. The research exhibited large potential in applications with multiagent and networked systems. The method has been applied to multirobot assembly, multiaxis motion control systems, CNC machining, parallel manipulators, and formation of multiple mobile robots.
Mechatronics and Motion Controls: Designed state-of-the-art motion control technologies for various robot control applications and mechatronics systems. Working with industry, led the applied research in developing innovative motion control product technology. The applied research outcome received numerous prestigious awards such as Hong Kong Awards for Industry, attracted industrial investment and government supports, and led to technology transfer.
- System and Method for Delivery of Substance into Mammalian Cells
- Cell-Trapping Device, Apparatus Comprising It and Their Use for Microinjection into Cells