Professor Jacob C. Huang has been the Senior Vice President of National Sun Yat-Sen University (NSYSU) and the National Chair Professor, Taiwan. He received his BS degree from National Tsinghua University, Taiwan, in 1979, and his MS and PhD degrees from UCLA, in 1983 and 1986. He has been the post-doc research fellow in Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA, in 1987-1989, and advanced to associate, full, and chair professors in NSYSU in 1989, 1994, and 2006, respectively. He has acted as department chair, dean, chair of institutional research (IR) office, and vice president in NSYSU, and program manager in National Science Council (NSC) and vice chair of MRS-T society in Taiwan. He has been awarded many times by NSC and Ministry of Education of Taiwan, as well as TECO Award, Ho-Jin-Tua Award, Lu-Chih-Ming Award, elected as MRS-T and ASM Fellow, and finally awarded as National Chair Professor in Taiwan, the highest honor for engineering academic award. He has also been the Editor of Materials Letters.
His research areas include thin film metallic glasses, multilayer and interface study, low density high entropy alloys, 3D printing additive manufacture, biocompatible implant-used gradient porous Ti foams, and nanocrystalline materials. He has published more than 300 journal papers, and many conference papers and patents. Professor Jacob C. Huang’s most significant contribution in worldwide basis might be his pioneer starting research in low temperature superplasticity (LTSP) and thin film metallic glasses (TFMG). In addition, he has devoted to the realization and promotion of academic research to the industrial application in Taiwan. For example, he developed thermomechanical treatments on various Al alloys for China Steel Corp-Aluminum Corp, Taiwan. He also developed forming techniques for Mg and Al enclosures for cell phones and laptop computers for Catcher and Foxconn Corp, two of the world largest supplier for metal casings for Apples I-Phone, Acer Computer, Asus Computer, and HTC cell phone Companies. In the past five years, he developed thin film metallic glass coatings for optical and thermal devices and effectively transferred the technology to several local companies. His recent progress on 3D printing additive manufacture of TiZrTaSi based biocompatible graded porous foams for replacement of human cortical and cancellous spine bone has been exciting.
- BS Degree, National Tsinghua University, Materials Science, Taiwan, 1979.
- MS Degree, UCLA, Materials Science, USA, 1983.
- PhD Degree, UCLA, Materials Science, USA, 1986.
- Post-doc, Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA, 1987-1989.
- Associate Professor, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Materials Science, Taiwan, 1989-1994.
- Full Professor, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Materials Science, Taiwan, 1994-2006.
- Chairman, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Materials Science, Taiwan, 2000-2003.
- Steering Committee, Metal Industry Center, China Steel Corp, CSC Aluminum Corp, Taiwan, 2001-2015.
- Chairman, National Science Council, Materials Program Manager, Taiwan, 2005-2007.
- Editor Board, Materials Chemistry Physics, SCI Journal, 2005-2010.
- Steering and Review Committee, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Taiwan, 2005-2015.
- SW Chair Professor, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Materials Science, Taiwan, 2006-2011.
- Dean of Research Affair, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Taiwan, 2006-2011.
- Board Member, Chinese Materials Society, MRS-T, Taiwan, 2007-2018.
- Academic Committee Chair, Materials Group, Ministry of Education, Taiwan, 2007-2015.
- Evaluation Committee Chair, Materials Group, University Evaluation Society, Taiwan, 2008-2015.
- Sun Yat-Sen Chair Professor, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Materials Science, Taiwan, 2011-2015.
- Editor, Materials Letters, UK, 2012-2015.
- National Chair Professor/Senior Vice President, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Taiwan, 2015-2018.
- Senior Vice-President, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Taiwan, 2015-2016.
- Vice Board Chairman, Materials Research Society, Taiwan, MRS-T, 2016-2018.
- Materials Chair Professor, City University of Hong Kong, 2017-now.
- Executive Director, Acting Director, Institute of Advanced Study IAS, City University of Hong Kong, 2017-now.
3. Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Research Awards, National Science Council, Taiwan, 1999-2003, first and second time.
- First Price of Light Metal Creative Design Competition, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Taiwan, 2004.
- 1st grade PI, National Science Council, Taiwan, 2005-2008.
- Key PI, Distinguished international collaboration research joint project, Taiwan, 2005-2008.
- Distinguished Scholar Project, National Science Council, Taiwan, 2009-2011.
- Invited to chair International Asia Pacific Mg Research Project, Key PI in Taiwan, 2009-2014.
- Fellow, Materials Research Society, Taiwan, MRS-T, 2009.
- Distinguished Research Awards, National Science Council, Taiwan, 2010-2012, third time.
- Ho-Jin-Tua Distinguished Research Award, Taiwan, 2011.
- Editor, SCI Journal: Materials Letters, impact factor 2.4, 2012-2015.
- Distinguished Engineering Professor, Chinese Engineer Association, Taiwan, 2012.
- TECO Distinguished Research Award, Taiwan, 2012.
- Academic Research Award, Ministry of Education, Taiwan, 2012.
- Distinguished Appointed Scholar, National Science Council, Taiwan, 2013.
- Lu-Chih-Ming Award, Chinese Materials Society, Taiwan, MRS-T, 2014.
- National Chair Professor Award, Ministry of Education, Taiwan, 2014.
- Fellow, ASM (American Metals Society), USA, 2015.
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, USA, 2017.
- Top Engineers 2017, elected by International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England.