BA/BEd(University of Calgary), MA(University of Leicester), PhD(Victoria University of Wellington)
Brian King's research considers the discursive performance of identities, including ethnicity, gender and sexuality. His work also examines sexuality education, second language socialization, computer-mediated communication, and the social construction of space/place. Focusing primarily on language, his work is located within sociolinguistics and discourse analysis. Methodologically he draws on a number of traditions, including interactional sociolinguistics, corpus linguistics, and linguistic ethnography. He is now interested in pursuing further research in language and gender studies while exploring multimodal methodologies. Born and raised in Alberta, Canada he has since completed degree programmes at University of Calgary and University of Leicester, in which he discovered a passion for social research and discourse analysis. He then received a scholarship for PhD study in Applied Linguistics at Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand, where he conducted research into sexual agency performance during conversation in sexuality education classrooms. He arrived at City U in 2012 at which point his teaching career had spanned more than 15 years across three continents, with time spent teaching in New Zealand, Canada, and Korea. He has published articles in international journals such as Language in Society, Language Learning & Technology, Sexualities, Gender and Language, Journal of Language and Sexuality, Journal of Language Identity and Education, and Critical Discourse Studies.
Services in CityU
- 1 Dec 2016 - Now, Bachelor of Arts in English Language Studies, Program Leader
- 15 Dec 2016 - Now Bachelor of Arts in English Languaeg Studies, Study Tour Coordinator
- 1 Jan 2014 - 30 Nov 2016, Bachelor of Arts in English Language Studies, Deputy Program Leader.
- Sep 2014 - Aug 2015, Department of English Student Internship Programme, Co-Director
- Sep 2014 - Aug 2015, Departmental Staffing Committee, Staff Representative
10 Jan 2015 - Now, Undergraduate, EN 2719: English in Society.
17 Aug 2014 - 1 May 2015, Graduate, EN 5491: Discourse Analysis.
1 Jun 2013 - Now, Undergraduate, EN 3511: Professional Communication Internship.
1 Jun 2013 - Now, Undergraduate, EN 4571: Creative Professions Internship.
15 Jan 2013 - Now, Undergraduate, CLA 1401/1402: Re-Imagining English.
1 Sep 2012 - Now, Undergraduate, EN 2711: The Structure of English.
1 Sep 2012 - 1 Jan 2014, Undergraduate, EN 2848: Language and Digital Media.
Services outside CityU
- 2012 - Now, Advisory Council, International Gender and Language Association (IGALA).
- Feb 2010 - Now, Trustee, Intersex Trust Aotearoa New Zealand (ITANZ).New Zealand.
- 19 May 2016 - 21 May 2016, Conference Chair (IGALA 9), International Gender and Language Association Conference.Hong Kong.
Critical Sociolinguistics, Discourse Analysis, Gender & Language, Language & Sexuality, Qualitative Research Methods
Below displays the top Fingerprint concepts, per subject area for this Expert. Fingerprint concepts that appear on this page are based on all the research output produced by this Expert.