Dr. Bert GEORGE
BSc in Business Administration (2010), MSc in Strategic Management (2011), PhD in Applied Economics (2016) from Ghent University (Belgium)
- Associate Professor, Department of Public and International Affairs
Bert George (BSc, MSc, PhD) is an Associate Professor at the Department of Public and International Affairs of the City University of Hong Kong. Previous tenured positions have been at the Erasmus University Rotterdam (the Netherlands) and Ghent University (Belgium). His research covers a range of public management and policy themes, including strategic planning and management in public administration, public sector performance, behavioral public policy and administration, and meta-science in public administration. He has published frequently in top-ranked journals in his field such as Public Administration Review, Public Management Review and Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. His work has received awards from several professional organizations including the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) and the European Group for Public Administration (EGPA).
Bert George has worked with several international organizations such as the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) in advising governments on how to enhance their performance and implement strategic planning and management practices (e.g. in Wales, Abu Dhabi, Georgia to name a few). He has also taught in executive programs across the world, including at the Hertie School of Governance (Berlin, Germany) and the Dutch School for Public Governance (The Hague, Netherlands). He is currently Managing Editor of Public Administration Review, a leading journal in the field. His work has been cited in a range of policy-relevant reports and plans such as the 2022 US Budget Guidance for US Federal Agencies.
A selection of awards mentioned below:
- 2020: Louis Brownlow Award offered by the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) for "Best Article with Practical Impact in Public Administration Review"
- 2019: Triennial Award Joseph Leclercq – Joseph Merlot offered by the International Centre of Research and Information on the Public, Social and Cooperative Economy (CIRIEC) for "Best Belgian Doctorate in Public Economics"
- 2016: Award offered by the European Academy of Management (EURAM) Public Management Group for "Best Paper in Public Management"
- 2013: Award offered by the European Group for Public Administration (EGPA) PhD Symposium for "Best PhD Student"
- 2011: Award offered by the University College Ghent Department of Business and Public Administration for both "Best Student in Business Administration" and "Best Master Thesis in Economics"
- Strategic planning and management in public administration
- Public sector performance
- Behavioral public policy and administration
- Meta science in public administration
Editor or Editorial Membership
- Managing Editor: Public Administration Review
- Editorial Board Member: Public Management Review, Review of Public Personnel Administration, Asia Pacific Journal of Public Administration