Prof. Andrey ROGACH
Dr habil Ludwig-Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
PhD Belarusian State University, Belarus
Diploma Belarusian State University, Belarus
- Director (CFP), Centre for Functional Photonics
- Chair Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Colloidal semiconductor (quantum dots) and metal nanocrystals.
Using the colloidal chemistry approaches we synthesize semiconductor and metal nanorystals of variable sizes, shapes and compositions, tuning the emission of semiconductor nanocrystals and surface plasmon resonances of metal nanoparticles through the visible and near-IR spectral range.
Colloidal nanocrystals, with their variable surface chemistry determined by a rich choice of capping ligands are ideal building blocks for fabrication of different hybrid nanostructures. We apply optical spectroscopy to study energy transfer and charge separation in these nanostructures and look for different applications of semiconductor and metal nanocrystals such as light-emitting devices and photodetectors.
- 1991: Diploma (honors) in Chemistry from the Belarusian State University in Minsk (Belarus)
- 1995: PhD in Physical Chemistry from the Belarusian State University in Minsk (Belarus) on “Formation and properties of silver nanoparticles in different media”
- 1995 - 2002: Research Scientist, Institute of Physical Chemistry, University of Hamburg (Germany)
- 2002 - 2009: Lead Scientist, Photonics and Optoelectronics Group, Physics Department & Center for NanoScience, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Germany)
- 2005-2006: SFI Walton Visiting Professor, School of Physics and Department of Clinical Medicine, Trinity College Dublin (Ireland)
- since 2008: Adjunct Professor at Trinity College Dublin (Ireland)
- 2009: Habilitation in Physics at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Germany) on “Light emission and harvesting with semiconductor nanocrystals: Synthesis, spectroscopy and applications”
- since 2009: Professor, Department of Physics and Materials Science, City University of Hong Kong
- since 2010: Founding Director of the Centre for Functional Photonics (CFP) at City University of Hong Kong
- since 2011: Associate Editor, ACS NANO
- since 2012: Chair Professor of Photonic Materials, Department of Physics and Materials Science at CityUniversity of Hong Kong
A review article on Colloidal Lead Halide Perovskite Nanocrystals: Synthesis, Optical Properties and Applications has been published in NPG Asia Materials
Read the full story at: http://www.nature.com/am/journal/v8/n11/full/am2016167a.html
All-copper nanocluster based LEDs: Rogach’s group paper is featured on the cover page of Advanced Science (Wiley)
and highlighted by "Cutting-Edge Chemistry", ACS
A review article on “Aqueous Based Semiconductor Nanocrystals” has been published in Chem. Rev.
Read the full story at: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.chemrev.6b00041
Nanothermometry with quantum dots: Rogach’s group paper is featured on the cover page of Small
Read the full story at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/smll.201501984/full
Green perovskite LEDs shine brighter: A recent NanoLetters paper by Rogach group in collaboration with HKU, entitled "Enhancing the Brightness of Cesium Lead Halide Perovskite Nanocrystal Based Green Light-Emitting Devices through the Interface Engineering with Perfluorinated Ionomer" has been covered by nanowebtech.org (IOP) with an interview.
Read the full story on: http://nanotechweb.org/cws/article/tech/63746
Aligning nanorods using light: A recent ACS Nano paper by Rogach group in collaboration with HKUST, entitled "Combination of Photo-Induced Alignment and Self-Assembly to Realize Polarized Emission from Ordered Semiconductor Nanorods" has been covered by nanowebtech.org (IOP) with an interview.
Read the full story on: http://nanotechweb.org/cws/article/tech/62969
Prof. Rogach elected as Fellow of Electromagnetic Academy, USA
Research paper “Redox shuttle mechanism enhances photocatalytic H2 generation on Ni-decorated CdS nanorods” (http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nmat4049.html) has been published in Nature Materials as a result of our on-going HK-German collaborative project (see: http://www.phog.physik.lmu.de/news/archive/2014_08_11/index.html)
Prof. Rogach conferred the title of Honorary Professor of Xi’An Jiaotong University, China
Review on "Hierarchical SnO2 Nanostructures: Recent Advances in Design, Synthesis and Applications" featured on the cover page of the issue has been published in the Special Issue "Celebrating Twenty-Five Years of Chemistry of Materials"
Link to: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cm4018248
25th Anniversary Article by S. Gupta et al. on “Ion Exchange in Colloidal Nanocrystals” has been published in Adv. Mater.
Link to: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adma.201302400/abstract
Review article by S. Kershaw et al. on “Narrow Bandgap Colloidal Metal Chalcogenide Quantum Dots: Synthetic Methods, Heterostructures, Assemblies, Electronic and Infrared Optical Properties” has been published in Chem. Soc. Rev.
Link to: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2013/CS/c2cs35331h
Feature article by A. Rogach and co-workers on “Semiconductor Nanowires Self-Assembled from Colloidal CdTe Nanocrystal Building Blocks: Optical Properties and Application Perspectives” has been published in J. Mater. Chem.
Link to: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlepdf/2012/JM/C2JM90144G
Book on "Complex-Shaped metal Nanoparticles: Bottom-Up Syntheses and Applications" co-edited by Andrey Rogach and Tapan Sau has been published by Wiley-VCH
ARG project with Alphasense on gas sensing with infrared emitting quantum dots started
Research paper by Haihua Yang et al on heterojunction engineering has been featured on the cover page of Advanced Functional Materials
A. Rogach becomes Associate Editor, ACS NANO
A. Rogach receives “Grand” CityU Research Excellence Award 2011
Perspective article has been published in J. Phys. Chem. Lett.: Semiconductor Nanocrystal Quantum Dots as Solar Cell Components and Photosensitizers: Material, Charge Transfer, and Separation Aspects of Some Device Topologies.
Feature acrticle has now been published online.: Hybrid Colloidal Heterostructures of Anisotropic Semiconductor Nanocrystals Decorated with Noble Metals: Synthesis to Function
Andrey Rogach under the TOP 100 Material Scientists worldwide
CFP (Centre for Functional Photonics) has been approved with Prof Andrey Rogach as Founding Director