Dr. Alexandar DJORDJEVICH
BSc-MechE(Belgrade), MSc-MechE(Belgrade), PhD(NewBrunswick), PEng(Canada)
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, Radiology/Mechanical Engineering, University of New Brunswick (1989)
Area: Radiotherapy of patients with cancer
MSc, Mechanical Engineering, University of Belgrade
Area: control systems, parametric system-design methods
BSc, Mechanical Engineering, University of Belgrade
Area: control for hydro-turbines
Associate Professor (since 1998), City University of Hong Kong, Department of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management. Won the university's Teaching Excellence Award.
Project Engineer, Atlantic Nuclear Services Ltd, Fredericton, New Brunswick (Canada). Responsible for entire projects from bidding to conclusion. Projects included:
Design Engineer, Engineering Services Department, Research and Productivity Council of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick. Stress, heat transfer and vibration analyses, reverse engineering of parts and structures, and conceptual and detail design of machinery: 3-axes robot de-wirer of pulp bales, potato chips line, trailer for nuclear waste, special purpose railway car,... For Canadian Space Agency, conceptualised "Smart Bone" prototype. Developed a finite element pre-processor which enabled 3-D surfaces containing irregularities (holes or protrusions) to be meshed in 2-D and transformed to their desired shape with no element distortion.
Lecturer, University of New Brunswick, Department of Mechanical Engineering (Canada): two appointments in two consecutive years while on leave from PhD-study.
|1985-86||Engineer, Department of Robotics, Institute M.Pupin, Belgrade. Robot and aircraft dynamics. Modelled the dynamic interaction between an aircraft landing gear and its connecting surface - implemented in a flight simulation trainer.|
|1982-85||Engineer, Dept. of Electro-optics, (military) Technical Experimenting Centre, Belgrade. Performance examination of prototypes and models of targeting and viewing systems: image amplifiers, lasers, laser range-finders, classical optic devices, integrated day-night vision systems with built-in rangefinder and automatic position-data transmission.|
- Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (2002)
- Association of Professional Engineers of New Brunswick, Canada (1993)
- Yugoslav Association of Engineers (1986)
- International Institution of Engineers (2000)
- The Optical Society of America (2000)
- Applications of Optical and Nuclear Physics
RESEARCH, INDLUCING APPLIED RESEARCH
- Two patents
- Selected 30 publications are in journals with the average JCR Impact Factor exceeding 1.5.
- 85 citations by others (excluding self-citations).
- Received credit in the literature for having given one of only two major methods for precision radiotherapy with intensity-modulated radiation beams (for patients with cancer).
- Results of my radiotherapy research have been implemented in a commercial system (Theraplan 300L by Theratronics International Ltd).
- Have pioneered the concept of structural deflection-curvature. It has four advantages over the long-established practice of strain measurement.
- Have contributed a sensor of deflection-curvature, the only device sensitive to minute curvatures with radii of over kilometer (which is the range found in structures deflected by mechanical loading). Featured in a trade publication Laser Focus World. A research group in China is continuing the development of this sensor.
- Developed for NEC (HK) Ltd. an automated passenger control gate for border crossings. It provides the identity extraction and biometric verification for passengers. It features a microprocessor-control for the gate motion, has numerous safety provisions, and discriminates between a passenger's luggage versus an accompanying second person evading the security screening by tailgating the first passenger. Developed a similar facility for vehicular border crossings, which has been adopted and installed in its revised version. Had follow-on projects with the same client.
- As Expert Witness in a $10,000,000 High Court case involving a Hong Kong manufacturer's action against a foreign buyer, have discovered a crucial piece of evidence - a letter of appreciation on file.
- Successful supervision of two PhD students (in addition to MPhil and MEng students).
- Held five Competitive Earmarked Research Grants (as PI), one grant by the Innovation and Technology Fund (as PI for CityU), one contract research grant (PI), and consultancies.
- Received the University's "Teaching Excellence Award".
(usually four awards are made annually for the university with almost 1,000 academic staff).
- Served on the University's selection panel for Teaching Excellence Awards, 2006.
- The only staff in the Faculty of Science and Engineering whose teaching-performance was assessed by numerous (over 40) peers from many departments during the "Teaching Experience Sharing" session - only positive feedback was provided.
- Three journal publications on teaching and education (two are in the International Journal of Engineering Education with the SCI Impact Factor > 0.35).
- Programme Leader, Bachelor of Engineering in Mechatronic Engineering (includes curriculum planning and the recent OBTL-related programme restructuring).
- My students won local and international prizes, including the certificate of excellence in the international WorldSkills mechatronics competition.
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems.
- Co-chair, IAENG Society of Mechanical Engineering, 2006/2007.
- External Adviser for "Mechatronics", Open University of Hong Kong.
- External PhD Thesis Examiner, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- External MPhil Thesis Examiner, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- External Adviser for a design course, Open University of Hong Kong (since 2005).
- Organising Committee Member, three years in a row, the annual Hong Kong Youth Technology Design Competition: "Creative Design of Assistive Products for the Elderly".
- Selection Panel Member, Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowships and Scholarships (2003).
- Judging Panel Member, IEE Hong Kong Young Members Contest (2003).
- Organising Committee Member, "Robo-ball" competition of high schools held as part of the Innovation Expo (2001) in HK Convention Centre (generated great media attention). Guided teams from the CityU region, and organised a regional competition at CityU. One of the schools I coached became the HK finalist, and another a semi-finalist.
- Frequent reviewer of journal manuscripts (e.g. Sensors&Actuators, Applied Optics, IEEE T. I&M, Optics Letters, IMechI J. of Eng. in Medicine, Int.J.Eng.Education, Optics Express)
- Organising Committee, 15th International Conference on Mechatronics and Machine Vision in Practice, Massey University, Auckland, New Zealand, 2 - 4 December 2008.
- Program Committee, the 11th Mechatronics Forum Biennial International Conference, "Mechatronics 2008", University of Limerick, Castletroy, Limerick, Ireland.
- IMECS 2006 workshop committee member.
- International Scientific Committee Member, 2nd WSEAS International Conference on NON-LINEAR ANALYSIS, NON-LINEAR SYSTEMS and CHAOS (WSEAS NOLASC 2003), Vouliagmeni, Athens, Greece, December 29-31, 2003.
- Joint Scientific Committee Member, WSEAS multi-conference, Miami, April 21-23, 2004.
- International Scientific Committee Member, 7th WSEAS International Conference on Systems, Corfu Island, Greece, July 7-10, 2003.
- International Programme Committee Member, 8th IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Machine Vision in Practice, 2001 (27-29 August 2001).
- Organising Committee Member, The Ninth International Manufacturing Conference in China, 2000 (16-17 August 2000, Hong Kong).
- Secretary, CIRP Working Group on Modelling of Machining Operations (Jan. 1997, Paris).
- Co-editor, Proceedings of CIRP, "International Symposium on Advanced Design and Manufacture in the Global Manufacturing Ara", 1997 (detail language and style editing of half of all the papers by non-native English speakers, mainly Chinese, 21-22 Aug 1997, HK). Session chairmanship (an incomplete list):
- International Manufacturing Conference in China (16-17 August 2000) Session on: Advanced materials processing, and also Session on: Product and process design.
- CIRP symposium "Advanced Design and Manufacture in the Global Manufacturing Era", session "An Integrated Reverse Engineering Approach to Reconstruct CAD-Compatible Free-Form Surface Models for Rapid Prototype Manufacturing" (Session FE2AMT), 1997.
- Robotics session of the 11th ISPE/IEEE/IFAC International Conference on CAD/CAM, Robotics & Factories of the Future CARS&FOF'95.
- Programme Leader, Bachelor of Engineering in Mechatronic Engineering.
- Member, Departmental Executive Committee (2006-2009).
- Faculty Member, CityU's Constructive Alignment Working Group (2004/5).
- Twice elected member of the MEEM Research Consultative Forum.
- Member, MEEM Research Committee.
- Member, FSE Research Committee
- Panel Chair and frequently Examiner, for CityU PhD and MPhil theses examinations.
- Teaching Excellence Award
(City University of Hong Kong)